Thread: My Experience and OPINION of OpenEmu (Dun dun dun)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default My Experience and OPINION of OpenEmu (Dun dun dun)

Yes, you heard it. If you're going to get triggered because I said "opinion", leave immediately.

If you're still here, let's have a discussion!

So, recently, I tried OpenEmu for MacOS Sierra, and I think it is probably the most intuitive, powerful emulator out there.

I am in no way a Windows users, but I don't find it a bad OS. But, if I were ever to use a Windows machine, I would be forced to use another emulator. And, besides Mac, I also run various Linux machines, so running it on those is out of the question. And I do like RetroArch, but it's WAYYYYY to buggy, and crashes alot.

Instead of having to find out a way to build this for other systems (of which I don't think there is a method at the moment), I would like to simply and easily change platforms.

Is there such thing as a Wine that runs Mac applications?

And if not, there is a reason why I refuse to use other emulators. Not brand loyalty, but because of save data.

You see, OpenEmu uses its own proprietary type of save file. And while I do believe it keeps Battery Saves (.sav files), I don't think there is a way of controlling when they are saved. I would rather not wait 10 minutes doing absolutely nothing for a save to occur.

So, I guess the only solutions are to start over, try to convert the .oesavestate file, or run a Mac VM. All of these solutions take a serious amount of time.

And I'm not a emulation guru, so correct me for any mistakes I made.

Thanks
    EP Points

OpenEmu presents the games super nice but it doesn't work with iBuffalo USB/SNES controllers so I just emu on Windows still.
    /threeboy
    @threeboy :: threeboy.com :: TrueNuff Comic (my webcomic)

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

OpenEmu pretty much rips most of its code from the Libretro aka RetroArch project so I would be using that over OpenEmu if I was a mac user, I use Windows and Linux Mint Xfce.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.