Thread: MAME Issues

Thanks

Default MAME Issues

Hey, people... I just moved up to MAME 0.180 and I happen to have a few issues that I hope that someone can answer..

-I've tried to add CPS2 games onto MAME and it tells me that I need other ROM's and/or CHD files. Well, after reading that you need the Q Sound rom to get it to work... except it doesn't. Am I missing something here with Q Sound?
    -There are also more then a few NEO GEO games that have just crashed before starting. What gives?
    -Also, with Mortal Kombat 4... am I missing something for that game to work?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I'll split my replies answers to make it easier to read:

1) Is ROMset specific for MAME 0.180? I have recently downloaded the whole 0.180 ROMset and all CPS-2 ROMs work just fine, such as Street Fighter Alpha games.
    2) You do need the qsound.bin in games that require them.
    3)About the Neo Geo games, I guess you also need the latest BIOS to make the games work with MAME 0.180. I audited some The King of Fighters ROMs with an older BIOS and got a report of two missing firmwares, so I needed a more complete BIOS dump. After downloading the latest BIOS which included those additional files, I reaudited the Neo Geo ROMs and it was 100% OK. I could upload this BIOS if you want to give it a try.
    4) MK4 runs on Midway Zeus arcade hardware, which is not properly emulated by MAME yet. Apparently, it's very hard to do reverse engineering on the code, and just for two games that run on it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ksio89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Let's see...

1) I have no idea... I didn't know that a ROM set had to be specific to the latest update.
    2) I got that... but the games still don't work. I must be missing something.
    3) If you can upload it, that would be great.
    4) No big deal. I had no idea the Zeus hardware was that difficult to crack.

Finally, how in the heck do you do an audit for ROMs?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Q-Sound that would be the required rom for all Capcom System II games in MAME, other emulators include those roms in each game (waste of sopace that way but less confusing to those grabbing a game at a time) http://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-...Q-Sound/164687

I would do a simple audit on the games that do not work, then it will tell you what roms are missing if any

Most gui versions of MAME (like MAMEUI) just let you right click on a game and then you hit the audit option, it will then quickly scan that games zip file and related zip files (like bios images or other chip sets) and give a report on what is missing or other issues

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A little work has shown me what needs to be done with the CPS-2 games... They need a .key file and the Q sound file needs to be dumped again.

Where in the blazes are those .key files?

Thanks
    EP Points

If it says you need .key files, that's because the ROM was not properly dumped and is not compatible with MAME 0.180, or you don't have the parent ROM. Both the child and parent ROMs must contain .key files. About the Q Sound file, you get that message because there's no perfect dump yet, but the games are fully playable with the qsound.bin available here at EP, so you can just ignore the message. About the neogeo BIOS, here it is:

Spoiler warning:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

I recommend using MAMEUI64, because it has a friendly GUI and you can easily audit your ROMs with it, like Zorlon said.
    Last edited by ksio89; 26th-December-2016 at 17:47.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by WaterDragon76 View Post
    A little work has shown me what needs to be done with the CPS-2 games... They need a .key file and the Q sound file needs to be dumped again.

Where in the blazes are those .key files?
    What exact files

just asking about a file extension is not really helpful

just type what is reported letter for letter from an audit

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I've been trying to download MAMEUI64, but I keep getting a message in my 7Zip converter that it's been damaged. That's why I couldn't get a audit... what I did get was from IV/Play.

Thanks
    EP Points

The file is working fine, maybe it got corrupted during downloading. You can download MAMEUI64 from this link:

http://www.mameui.info/MameUI64.7z

Thanks

multi rom set fails to download and leaves me with a rar file how do I download them for retropie

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ksio89 View Post
    The file is working fine, maybe it got corrupted during downloading. You can download MAMEUI64 from this link:

http://www.mameui.info/MameUI64.7z
    I would not recommend the 64bit version due to bugs they introduced, if you have certain options enabled/disabled, although it is sourced from MAME source code it is altered code, but you can either go for the 32bit version of MAMEUI (hosted at a different site or go for the front end for MAME instead by the same team think it is called IV/Play (it's as stable as the official release as that is what it uses directly) and on the same site as ui64)

Quote Originally Posted by tubz View Post
    multi rom set fails to download and leaves me with a rar file how do I download them for retropie
    Covered via PM

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

What kind of bugs MAMEUI64 introduced? From what I've known MAMEUI64 is just a port for x86-64 Windows of MAMEUI (formerly MAME32), I've never seen anything about these bugs, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not trying to sound rude or, but could you show me some source of those alleged bugs? I couldn't find any reports about the x64 being bugged.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Don't remember exacts off the top of my head but was sure the issues happen when cheats are enabled or disabled (this is just the option itself and not actual cheat issues as none had been enabled in any games) and only with a few games did it cause problems (no idea what the games are now), switched to the 32 bit version and issues went IV Play also lost the issues, but IV/Play is just a front end for MAME (fine for both 32bit and 64bit versions)

Reported that on there forum a long while back so may of been fixed though from the response at the time was just to enable of disable the option and no mention of any plans to do bug fixing and later releases did have the same bug, not bothered with it in a while though so who knows

Been using Mame32 for years, though not every version I don't always update it but never had issues with MAME32 or MameUI until they branched to only do the 64 bit versions, then noticed issues with more recent versions around 0.15x or 0.16x like I said not used it in a while well not MAMEUI (64bit) anyway

But to avoid getting into bugs introduced from UI just use IV/Play that works just the same but runs official builds of MAME instead

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]