Thread: Questions about Neo Geo emulation

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Questions about Neo Geo emulation

I read that Final Burn Alpha is a more recommended Neo Geo MVS/AVS/CD/CD-Z emulator than MAME, is that right? I mean, which one is more accurate? I tried playing CPS-2 and CPS-3 Street Fighter games on latest MAME (actually MAMEUI64), but it seems very picky about the dumps, throwing me error messages and refusing to boot the ROMs, while not being the friendliest emulator to set up as well. I read that you need full ROMsets with FBA. Are these packs of properly dumped ROMs? I found the thread with some ROMsets for FBA revision 029738, but the latest FBA rev is 029739, are they still going to work?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To answer your question, if FBA can run the game its a safe bet its going to blow away MAME's performance.

I have the previous full FBA arcade set uploaded here on the forum, you can grab that and the Emulator / blends pack and get ready for the best CPS 1/2/3 / Neogeo and whatever else it can run experience you ever had.

I can help you set it up if you wish, just ask away here.

Here is the thread for it - http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...77#post1765177

As for the best Neogeo CD Emulator...............that would be Raine, its in severe need for more skilled coders.

It would be best if more attention was put tword FBA NeoGeo CD Emulation but no one seems to be, there are no read speed hacks and some games won't load, well I have not tested any with the latest version but I am assuming its still the same.

Raine has alot of great features just poor coding for them, one cool feature of Raine is you can use the audio tracks from various Neogeo games that were ported to CD based systems and have those tracks play instead of the Neogeo cart audio.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

The most accurate emulator is MAME, but it's also the slowest. You'll have to decide if you want accuracy or speed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

It seems so, MAME demans some extra files such as qsound.bin and .key files for SF CPS-3 ROMs, why FBA is able to emulate them. Well, FBA 029738 couldn't find Neo Geo ROMs from the same revision ROMset, such as Samurai Showdow. It was able to find CPS-1/2/3 ROMs such as Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter III series. The ROMs are samsho.zip and samshoa.zip, they are in ROMs folder, but FBA can't find them after scanning this folder. Any idea why some ROMs can't be found by FBA? Thanks in advance.

edit: nevermind, I forgot the Neo Geo BIOS file, I place it into the ROMs folder and now FBA can locate Neo Geo ROMs.
    Last edited by ksio89; 21st-December-2016 at 17:13.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FBA is accurate, it just doesn't require the CPU exclusively to run the games.

ksio89 is that what you were looking for?

Remember you can use the Universe Bios for Neogeo and get the most out of your neogeo experience.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I just settled on MAME. I found the romset for MAME 0.180, and after auditing the romset, every CPS-2 Street Fighter game starts and runs at full speed. I managed to start Neo Geo games as well by also finding the latest version of neogeo.zip, which works flawlessly with MAME 0.180. Tried Samurai Shodown and some The King of Fighter titles, and all of them work just fine. Thanks for the help, now I know that is just a matter of finding the same romset revision as the one for MAME. I actually wonder if it wouldn't be useful to replace the Neo Geo BIOS available in the main site with the neogeo I've found, which is compatible with MAME 0.180.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you ever give FBA a try again you will see there is way more to offer the supported systems than MAME.

Accurate emulation despite what some may claim, enhanced features like overclocking and more.