Thread: do all xbox games need to be patched?

Thanks

Default do all xbox games need to be patched?

Wondering if xbox iso's need to be patched going to the hdd in the system. I'll be using redump verified and I have not softmodded my xbox yet but would like to know before I proceed.

I read in some past posts on various sites that they used to need a patch. Also I noticed Zorlon's post listing roughly 20 titles that need fixes to go onto the hdd. Do any of them currently still need patches? Anybody got any reasons to not use redump verified dumps?

-thanks to all reading

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are a few games I did not get round to fixing, but most will just run directly from HDD without any sort of patching.

The most common reason that some games needed patching was due to file names used was not compatible with Xbox HDD format that is more limited than Xbox DVD format so some characters used in file names do not work on the Xbox HDD and file name length is also limited on HDD vs DVD so those files need to be renamed then relinked in the xbe for the game or other file the loads the files that require the rename done to then (Harder than it sounds )

The ones I did not patch you can either burn or you can extract the game data and make a new ISO (I say this because redump are raw dump of DVD9's when the data for almost every game is under 4.7GB, the Xbox used DVD discs but most of the games never used more than the first layer leaving the second layer full of junk data)

Anyway you can emulate the Xbox DVD drive and run the few games that don't run directly from HDD, you can run from an iso file using the DVD emulator for Xbox

If you want to save space then totally avoid Redump, they will not a be a complete set either though I do not think there is a complete set out there in any single format

I never used there dumps but I would get one at least then see if it can be extracted from iso to data files [You will need to use software designed to read Xbox ISO's they are not standard ISO format] (You will see for yourself how much space a raw DVD9 dump takes vs the actual data files)

Warning the Xbox file system only allows a certain amount of game ID's (Game ID data is created when you first launch a game, so this is created even before you make a save in-game) once the limit has reached no new to that system games will play, including homebrew it will all just boot to a black screen (I do not know how to fix this, last time I had the issue I formatted)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 22nd-December-2016 at 15:18.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks as always Zorlon, you never seem to let my questions go unanswered. It's always appreciated.

Any idea how many game id's the xbox allows? I usually don't get into multiple regions so I'm hoping it won't be an issue for me.

Do you possibly know of any utilities that can add/remove the junk data found on these games? I like to have the piece of mind that my collection is verified.

How are the "scene" releases for xbox? Are they generally just trimmed of junk? Everything else in tact?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071 for Xbox HDD limitation (saves/ID's is a 240 limit)

if you want the redump set but then remove the junk just use a Xbox ISO software (Like Qwix) to extract them then rebuild them, you will then need to crack the games that need cracking, though I should have most of those covered

I have 995 games from old scene releases, been meaning to replace that for some time though https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing is my Xbox games list

Most scene releases just have junk removed but there are some with FMV ect ripped out don't know exactly how many but it is few

Most HDD ready ones do have everything in tact though excluding the difficult to get working on HDD ones

Between scene and data file releases (also called HDD ready) you can get all the english games plus a number of Jap games, some do require special controllers though and are unplayable without them.

I also recommend XBMC as a Dash (Higher game compat, uses a few hacks) and Avalaunch as an App (Faster FTP access via Qwix using Xbox ISO images)

P.S. Custom Dashboards and Apps also use ID's you will also want to keep the ID of the game you use to hack the Xbox (removing that just reverts the xbox back to retail) if you used a game to exploit the xbox, Mod chip users don't need to worry about the Exploit game though as they don't use one
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-December-2016 at 04:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Wow thanks again zorlon.

After reading through everything you have provided I think I'll just settle on an hdd ready set, at least this time around.

So I'm guessing the game id's are stored on the hdd? If one were to make a hot swap bay and have the drives set up good to go. Could they be swapped out as pleased? Another guess here, partitioning a drive and holding the files under the limit might work?

Thanks again, not just for this thread but every thread you've dropped your wisdom into

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

all the ID's are stored in a single partition, that can't be changed

you can however get a Xbox game manager that can be used to delete old games and saves (removes the ID also) I think it can be used to backup saves also that you will want

though off the top of my head I forget what the software is called, my xbox backup drive is currently not hooked up to my PC

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]