Thread: Which Handheld is the best for PSX Emulation?

Thanks

Default Which Handheld is the best for PSX Emulation?

Hi!
    I'm thinking of getting an Handheld for PSX Emulation...
    I own a PS Vita with TN-X on it, but therer are many games that won't run or only run with graphical issues.
    Is there a better Emulation-Handheld than the PS Vita for PSX Emulation?

greetings

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A PSP using Pops and Popsloader with the CDDA Enabler plugin on also

I don't know if you can use Popsloader with the Vita though that would fix many issues, also the CDDA Enabler plugin

No version of Pops can run all the PSX2PSP converts without needing Popsloader and or CDDA Enabler

Official PSN PSOne Classics should work just fine though without CDDA Enabler or Popsloader and just use the latest version of Pops whatever version that may be on your Vita

A good alt though would be one of the Many Android Handheld consoles (essentially a phone without a sim and built in controls) and use PSX emulators for android though I'm not one to do anything on an android device so no idea how good or bad those are for android devices

I do own a Vita but I use a different hack that enables Vita games but not PSP or PSX games well not yet anyway, maybe never

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I think TN-X is like Popsloader as far as I know.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If it is then hold the Right Trigger when you select the PSX game and a menu then lets you select different versions of pops should show, by default it uses the latest version on your Vita

You may need the pops files though to do this

Look at any documentation for TN-X for the file/folder layout

The PSP pops files I made available at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?90067 but you may need ones specifically for the vita

From the quick read it's nothing like a Popsloader at all, but more of an improvement emulator boasting better emulation than the basic version of Pops

I am a little curious as to what games you are having issues with as I never had any real issues on my PSP, though admit I ended up mostly sticking to official PSone Classics
    Last edited by Zorlon; 20th-December-2016 at 04:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

What about those Android Devices? I think the Emulator itself would be better than a PSP with Popsloader...

Thanks
    EP Points

Even a really cheap Chinese made Android device can run psx emulation. You're just limited by the touch screen. Final Fantasy/rpgs, even Resident Evil is quite playable with touch but don't expect to do well in something like Street Fighter

PSP is probably the better way to go.

Thanks

What about a gpd xd? Or a Nvidia Shield (but that thing is expensive! :O)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Shield is not really a handheld, it's just a tablet with separate a controller, unless there is a device I have not seen

the GPD XD kinda looks like a DS, but seems to be targeting the emulation scene

I can't comment too much on Android ported emulators (I don't like using my Android devices for this kind of use) but do not expect everything to run perfect some of the emulators that are used are not perfected as of yet but at the same time they have come a long way

If you do steer aways from using your Vita that way, then why not update it to the HENkaku mod (Do not update via Sony directly though the latest firmware is not hackable last time I checked) 3.60 is the target Firmware

Will have to try that when I get time to

You might want to do this anyway, but PSP support will be lost (official PSN PSP games will obviously still run fine) and replaced with Vita game support and homebrew galore including Retroarch that is a multi system emulator, e.g. PSX N64 SNES Genesis ect ect or whatever that branch supports

EDIT: there is a mod for HENkaku to support PSP now also so it's an all out win there, providing the PSX emulation is top notch
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-December-2016 at 15:45.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I thought that TN-X is the best emulation for PSX because the other one's have Sound Issues?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Retroarch is new, very very new to the point that PSX emulation is not in the stable release of Retroarch for Vita it was only in the nightly builds

And from what I played of it now (Only just mind)

Sound is fine though I removed the filter as it was getting lag, just playing FF7 for now, even if I happen to have the official PSN of it, though Sony have blocked online activity on the Vita with the Firmware I use

TN-X is not the emulator, the emulator is Pops, TN-X is more of a front end for that and adds a couple of hacks to pops

I can't use TN-X at all though so can't do a comparison and no idea what issues you had with it, but at a guess I would say it is the best option currently for PSX game play on a Vita

The new PSvita PSP mod Adrenaline (released last month) though should integrate PSX games at some point though anyway that will also use Pops for PSX games in eBoot Format, though still best to use official PSone Classics but the PSP mod already supports plugins so Pops loader will work with it I assume

Hold off from updating your Vita though if you want until that is released, if you have a PSP game installed on your Vita that will help otherwise it will be a bit of a long winded way to install that

What does Adrenaline currently support?

XMB
    ISO/CSO
    Homebrews
    Plugins
    Vsh menu
    Recovery menu

Differences between Adrenaline and TN-V?

Ability to take screenshots using PS + START
    Ability to use the PS button as HOME button
    Ability to use a custom graphics filter
    No file system limitation by using a custom msfs.

These features are not included yet:

– 64MB RAM
    – PS1 games support
    – Ability to use ur0 as Memory Stick File System
    – Savestates
    The later features will be worked on soon (About February 2017) if everything goes well it should be one of the top Vita Mods

if TN-X supports it though get the popsloader plugin, the problem with PSX2PSP eboots is that they don't all work on the latest version of pops and need to be forced to run on older pops versions, I am going to presume this can be done with TN-X or even just with TN-V
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-December-2016 at 08:18. Reason: typo's and errors

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]