Thread: PSX Gex Game ISO Help

Thanks

Question PSX Gex Game ISO Help

I was browsing and I looked at Gex to add it to my game collection, when I remembered I own a copy of the game. I ripped it into an ISO, and the output file was 205 MB. (Just realized that the ISO is messed up) The CD takes up 179 MB, but the download is only 113 MB. How is the download shrunk? How can I shrink my ISO? (I'd like to not download the game, my internet is slow.)
    Name:  gex.png
Views: 700
Size:  43.8 KB

Thanks
    EP Points

The version on the main site is probably in either .zip or .rar format which is why its smaller.

Thanks
    EP Points

iso can be compressed in ultraiso you will get an .isz its compressed image by ultraiso software :https://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/
    of course i cant provide you serial this site is for retro gaming not pirate ultraiso can be find in torrents

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There is another disc compression option called ECM, which was used with a lot of the Playstation games hosted here. So the download that says 113MB could be in a .zip or .rar archive, and when extracted it might have a file type of Gex (USA).bin.ecm. In that case you would drag and drop the .bin.ecm file and drop it on top of UnECM.exe, get a small command prompt window briefly while the decompression runs, and then see a Gex (USA).bin file.

This extra compression step made the files much smaller in a time when downloads were much slower than current speeds. I may be wrong, but I think I remember coming to this site on a 128kb/s telephone connection.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you're going to dump PSX or even CD based PS2 games don't use .iso image format. Dump to bin/cue.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

113MB is the compressed size for 7z format, 7-zip can do this
    206MB is the MODE2/2352 binary raw dump (a cue file is needed to determine the mode used)
    179MB is the space that is taken up on a CD

The reason for size difference between the dump and the actual contents is mostly because structure information that is in the dump

Compression is just used to make downloading easier but the disc image is not shrunk, the disc image is still 206MB and that still uses 179MB of a CD

P.S. if you converted from Bin to Iso though chances are you have destroyed the special xa header that most PSX games use and that will make the disc image usless

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR