Thread: PC Engine CD - Turbo Duo - TurboGrafx CD [Raspberry Pi Zero]

Thanks

Default PC Engine CD - Turbo Duo - TurboGrafx CD [Raspberry Pi Zero]

i've haven't messed with emulators in a couple of years and i'm getting back into it because i got a Raspberry Pi Zero, which is running RetroPie. i like having a completely separate system for games instead of having to run them on my computer and not have to worry about running a cd drive emulator as well. i've searched the site for the RetroPie and also the standard web search and haven't come up with any results to this, so i figured i would just ask the question on here. Well, my question is about the types of game files in the TurboGrafx CD section. If you go to the section and click "List All Titles," these are the first two games that show up:

1552 - Tenka Tairan (NTSC-J)
    or
    3 in 1 DUO Demo CD [U][SCD][DUO DEMO 01][Red][PCE][aaron nanto]

What is the difference with the NTSC-J and the other kind. i noticed that the (NTSC-J) all seem to have .iso files and the ones that have [U][SCD] have .bin files in them. i thought that NTSC was a type of TV signal, what does that have to do with .iso & .bin files. The reason for this question is that my system isn't playing the games with .iso files. It will run the .bin files. A couple i had to change the .cue files because it wasn't spelled exactly right to direct the system over to the .bin files. i'm guessing my Raspberry Pi just doesn't run the .iso file, but i'm also just trying to understand all this again. Thanks for any help you can give. Thanks for any help you can give and i hope i have this in the right section.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

NTSC-J is a Japanese region game.
    (U) is US (but pretty much NA and some other places).

I'll have to move this thread.

Spoiler warning:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ok, that's what i figured. i just thought it was weird that all the games with .iso files were NTSC-J and the ones that showed SCD were .bin files. Is there any reason for that or was that just coincidence? Also, i want to say that i finally figured out the problem for anyone else searching in the future. It was hard for me to search the internet for the particular search words for my problem. i finally was able to put together different things and figured out what my problem was. i'm going to explain my process, but if you can just skip to the end result at the end

OK, i'm using the Raspberry Pi Zero, which is the smallest one, but one of the newest ones. i using the RetroPie with the RetroArch, that's already on there. So, i'm pretty much running it the way it's supposed to run. Just need to get the Pi, Flash the image on an SD card, and install your ROMs. There's a folder where all the BIOS files go, instead of with the game or console files. The only difference (i've seen so far) is that Neo Geo, needs them to be in the folder where all the ROMs are. i guess they're different because they are all still Zipped (unlike the rest of the console games that are unzipped). That's why i was trying different things with the TGX16CD games because i was wondering if i tried different versions of BIOS or trying them in different folders would help. i already checked the spelling and capitalization in the .cue file. and that helped a couple of my games to work, but sill, some of them didn't work ..... and NONE of the .iso games worked. Now, it's been several days that i haven't got it to work because i would work on other games & consoles on the Pi and go back and forth to this problem.

This morning, i figured i would go back to the beginning and check the basics again ..... i noticed one thing that i overlooked .... that other people might have missed, that had this problem ..... i fixed all the spelling in the .cue file so that it can tell the computer where to find the game file, but in paying attention to the actual file name being spelled right and lower/upper case letters ..... i didn't even pay attention to the extension (.iso) of the file name being all CAPS in the .cue file, when the .iso extension was lower case. i figured i would try it and see, but i didn't think it was going to work. i figured i would change it to lower caps on the .iso extension for the two games i had on there and check it. Sure enough, both of them work now. i added a few more .iso games fixed those that way and sure enough, they work too, when i fix that error.

Also, there were .bin games that didn't work either. In trying everything to fix my problem i mixed up some stuff and i left the syscard3 in the folder with the game because i changed more that one thing at a time before checking the result. For some reason, some games will work with it in the game folder and some will get confused and not work. So, i got rid of all the ones that were in the game folder and left the one syscard3 file in the BIOS folder and voila, those games work now, too. Now i have all my games working

So basically the fix is [running RetroPie on Raspberry Pi Zero]:

#1 - Make sure the spelling in the .cue file matches exactly with the way the .bin or .iso file is spelled with the capitalization and even the file extension at the end (i didn't think the capitalization on the extension mattered).
    #2 - Only put the syscard3 in the actual BIOS folder with all the other ones. Don't put it in the folder with all the TGX16CD games (like the Neo Geo is) .... or in both location either. Some will work, but that observation will throw you off. That same game will work with it (only) in the BIOS folder, as well as all the other games.
    Last edited by KairosZenith; 3rd-December-2016 at 23:21.

Thanks
    EP Points

This is already explained in https://github.com/retropie/retropie...wiki/PC-Engine. No sense in wasting time wondering what's already been documented. One thing they don't document though is that there's a a faulty syscard3.pce floating around, even here at emuparadise. The faulty one works with the majority of games so no ones noticed it. With the games I tried, it won't work with future boy conan and sylphia. Sylphia loads to a warning with japanese writing. The one with the date of 1996 is the faulty one and the one from 2000 from isozone seems to work.