Thread: How to convert/extract/view DOCUMENTS.DAT PSP-PS1 manuals in Windows?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default How to convert/extract/view DOCUMENTS.DAT PSP-PS1 manuals in Windows?

I have extracted, converted and decrypted a PS1 PSN game from pkg to bin/cue. During this process I salvaged the DOCUMENTS.DAT file which I believe is the game's manual. I was wondering how I can now convert this manual into something that can be readable in Windows, e.g pdf? I have tried psxtract which claims to be able to decrypt DOCUMENTS.DAT, but I cannot see what the relevant command to do so is. Anyone know? (I do not have a PS3).

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

psxtract -c eboot.pbp Document.dat
    is the command, you can includes keys.bin also if you wanted

you can't extract document.dat on it's own you must have the eboot included when you do this

Output file is DOCUMENT.DEC.DAT that should be a decrypted version of the file

From what I can tell though this fails

Popstation gui has document.dat tools included including extract document.dat, that should if it worked extract images from the document.dat file

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I tried to decrypt and extract the pkg from the beginning. This time I included the DOCUMENT.DAT along with the eboot and the command in psxtract worked, ie it produces a DOCUMENT_DEC.DAT file which I didn't have first time around. Unfortunately popstation gui gives an 'runtime error 9 subscript out of range' when I try to extract DOCUMENT_DEC.DAT. What now?
    Last edited by ploder; 4th-December-2016 at 11:36.

Thanks

I haven't attempted it myself but I'm also interested in this, as this encompasses a huge archive of original ps1 manual scans (especially japanese scans) that can and should be extracted and preserved from the renascene collection, but are currently unreadable without a psp.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ploder View Post
    I tried to decrypt and extract the pkg from the beginning. This time I included the DOCUMENT.DAT along with the eboot and the command in psxtract worked, ie it produces a DOCUMENT_DEC.DAT file which I didn't have first time around. Unfortunately popstation gui gives an 'runtime error 9 subscript out of range' when I try to extract DOCUMENT_DEC.DAT. What now?
    I got stuck at this part myself

Though as those are just direct copies of the actual manual printed with the original game the next best thing would be to grab a scan of the manual instead

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR