Thread: I want to start buying japanese ps1 and ps2 games

Thanks

Question I want to start buying japanese ps1 and ps2 games

I want to start buying japanese ps1 and ps2 games. I would like to play them on my pc. I've got a blu ray drive would it be as simple or putting the disc in and running it or would I have to do stuff like burn it and making an iso?

Also the bluray drive is currently set to region 1 that wouldn't affect it reading the disc would it?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,308 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah, sticking the disc in playing from it should be fine. Provided of course that your Bluray drive reads CD/DVD discs, I'm not positive they all do. It's a good idea to rip discs to ISOs though, they're simpler to handle and will save some lifespan on your Bluray drive if it's not running for hours.

The drive region is irrelevant, PS1/2 discs are data discs, and have no region. Drive regions are there to block regional video discs.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You do need a PSone and PS2 emulator

Kinda obvious but your post does not seem to mention this

as above ripping is a much better option, saves your original discs from any change of being damaged and drive from getting strain plus cd and dvd images are less likely to have read lags or read errors

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dumping your CDs to Bin/Cue and dumping the DVDs to .iso is a safer option than just throwing them in the disc drive to play, I could tell you a personal scary story that will never make you want to put a rare disc in the computers disc drive ever again.

Some emulators require the disc be dumped as they can't read directly from disc.

Two easy dumping methods are isobuster and imgburn.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ah, thanks guys. I see people emmtion Alchohol 120% when ripping ps2 games.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by npr717 View Post
    Ah, thanks guys. I see people emmtion Alchohol 120% when ripping ps2 games.
    No need to use Alcohol to rip anything outside a protected disc, the ones I mentioned will dump PSX and PS2 discs just dandy.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Alcohol was never needed ever

Alcohol has PSX settings, but those settings used are the default setting of most burning software, I considered this software to be a bit of joke as far as PSX goes and the fact people actually paid for the privilege to use a PSX setting that was the default setting in almost every other burning software package

ImgBurn is free and perfect for doing this

ISObuster is also great (free use only version is all that is needed)

Alcohol has no advantage over any other burning software, for ripping or burning PSX or PS2 software

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR