Thread: Is Atari a game developer or game publisher?

Thanks

Default Is Atari a game developer or game publisher?

Hello! I am just curious as I am getting hooked to Atari 5200 games. I downloaded a bunch of roms and somehow I am amazed. Anyway, is Atari a game developer or game publisher, because roms' file names like the
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. I can't say if they are the one who developed it or they published it.

Also, what is Prototype? Is it something like "Alpha/Beta" Version, or its a game developer? or publisher?
    Because some roms have file name like:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Thank you

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Atari used to be both, then they went out of business. The current Atari, I believe, is just some company that bought the name and is farming out games to other devs to cash in on name recognition.