Thread: Japanese visual novels (Flowers, Rewrite, Grisaia Trilogy) not playing on CFW PSP

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Japanese visual novels (Flowers, Rewrite, Grisaia Trilogy) not playing on CFW PSP

Like the title implies, all those japanese visual novels published by Prototype wont work on a 6.60 PRO-C (v3) CFW PSP (3k model), due of some anti-piracy protections.
    -Flowers Volume sur Printemps
    -Flowers Volume sur Ete
    -Rewrite
    -Grisaia: Le Fruit/Labyrinth/Eden de la Grisaia

Is there some trick or patch to apply in order to bypass those silly protections or I'm really screwed? The help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by shibadoge; 6th-November-2016 at 18:59.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If they're basically limited interactivity then maybe you should treat them as UMD video?

I don't mess around with VNs, but I'm thinking The Silent Hill Experience is a similar deal (which I tried myself fairly recently but on 6.60 LME 2.3)...it isn't actually a game.

To get TSHE working you need to mount the iso, it also needs to be in a slightly different place than your games (iso or eboots).

• Create a new folder inside your ISO Folder. Name it VIDEO
    • Copy the ISO inside the VIDEO folder, path: \ISO\VIDEO\Hill-Experience.iso
    • Press Select on the PSP. Move the cursor to “ISO VIDEO MOUNT” and select (L or R) Hill-Experience.iso
    • Exit.
    • To play the Video, go to the Video menu -> UMD and press X.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I dunno if converting it into an UMD video will disable or mess up any interactivity possible (main menu, options, gallery/omake as well as the choice prompts given during the walkthrough). What I do know is that all of them require the first disc to install data but they will either ask you to pop up the memory card (in case of Flowers) or to swap the disc at the end of the installation (in case of Grisaia). In the latter case, quitting the first iso normally after installation and then launching the second disc from the XMB menu wont work. I remember a friend giving me a swap disc plugin but that thing would just crash on me.

On the other hand, I do remember visual novels being ported by devs into UMD videos (also as a way to avoid Sony's approval on things and censorship on 18+ content).

It's pretty weird you can bypass the protections on PPSSPP or that other PSP emulator, but nobody patched those titles to make them simply work on a real PSP
    Last edited by shibadoge; 7th-November-2016 at 08:09.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

You aren't converting anything, you're just mounting the iso because that's how you get UMD video to work.

Spoiler warning: