Thread: Best Amiga Games Set for Playing Emulated

Thanks

Default Best Amiga Games Set for Playing Emulated

Hey guys,

I am using RetroPie on an x86 system (NUC i5) to play Amiga games on emulator fs-uae. I am quite desperately searching for the "best" ROM to use for it. It would be great if the set would be as complete as possible (ofc ) but also the games should be cracked to be playable in the emulator. Also it should contain no (or only a few) duplicates.

These sets I tried already:
    • TOSEC - Too many duplicates. There are games that have more than 5 versions
    • No-Intro - Great, but many games not playable due to copy protection
    • Gamebase Amiga 1.6 - Also great but seems incomplete? Just checked some games for existence and already on the 2nd try "Swords of Sodan" was missing.
    • Good - It seems like there is no good set for Amiga?

So, are there any alternatives left you would recommend? Also just a DAT would be ok so I could rebuild that set using the above sets as input.

Thanks in advance gentlemen!

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation

tosec and no-intro.
    gamebase covers too much.
    never gone near good sets.
    i can tell you free, that your hardware environment is lacking.
    amiga emulators always are, especially the older to computer.
    as for copy-protection cracks, please refer to an earlier post of yours.
    one other way, is to get a game package that's been setup for whdload, pre installed to a harddisk or other volume.
    type into a search engine without the tab quotes 'WHDLoad Games pack #-Z (pre hdd installed)' and you'll find an old package of mine. (games supplied by cool kids)
    that's been set up to run from harddisk on an original amiga1200, will work on any emu setup properly configured.
    back to the subject proper, there's no good set, too many iterations of roms.
    most others like cartridges, only have a few versions at best, computer games make it up and go on forever.
    the catalogue is still being compiled...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For sets Tosec is the best version to go for (If you go with a torrent if you can find one then just select what you want instead of grabbing the full set)
    no-intro is great just not so much if you want the games to be cracked and was originally aimed at real Amiga users rather than emulators though the emu's have included support for the format no-intro uses now

Yes there are dupes because the amiga had the biggest scene release groups out there and the amiga has a lot of games with some sort of copy protection that various groups cracked and tosec covers them all (at least what has been dumped)

Not as many as there used to be but there are a number of sites that let you grab individual games that may be better for you just to grab what you want instead of getting everything

WHDload setup games are kinda fun to play round with and very cool for those multi disk games that can be a pain changing disks

Note that SCUMMVM may also be worth looking at that supports a few Amiga releases as well as other platforms (some games are better on other systems to the Amiga) anyway SCUMMVM is an interpreter rather than a machine emulator so looks just at the game code and translates that into something playable without emulating the original Hardware the game may of come from.

SCUMMVM was originally made just to play a few Lucas Arts Point and Click games but today it plays a lot more than that.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-November-2016 at 09:49.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hm, well, this is getting more tricky than expected ^^

WHDLoad seems nice but as far as I understand games have to patched to be used with it so that set might be incomplete. Also it seems to need some work to set up and I don't know if it will work at all with fs-uae on RetroPie without much patching.

So I have this idea: I could try to write a script that builds a DAT file out of the TOSEC amiga files. It would filter out disks based on some rules so that only one release per game remains. Then I could use clrmamepro to build that set from the TOSEC files.

I thought about stuff like this:
    • throw away all disks tagged with [b...]
    • from away all alternatives
    • prefer cracked but untrained versions (maybe the prefered cracking group could be configured)
    • prefer fixed disks
    • etc.

So maybe that way I could build a one-release-per-game set from DAT. How does it sound to you? Feels a bit like I am on the wrong track because obviously nobody else had the need for something like this before :/

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1G1R or something like that is not new

But to do that with amiga editing a TOSEC dat is not as easy as doing no-intro that has most options on there site to customise your dats Tosec you will need to do by hand in a text editor, unless there is a dat editor out there (very possible but I don't know one)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

My idea is to generate a new Dat from scratch with a (Python) script. So I would parse all files from hdd of my amiga tosec set. Then filter in memory all unwanted files. And then dump that list to a new Dat file.
    I would also like to include all disks of one game in a single Zip (just like no intro).

Thanks
    EP Points

Gamebase Amiga 2.1 has only the best working versions of games and contains some versions that are not even in TOSEC yet (properly cracked by members of popular Amiga forum). Sword of Swodan is not there in cracked floppy format but it does have an IPF version and WHDLoad. Same goes for a lot of other games. Belgarath hasn't got round to adding every cracked floppy version, he's concentrated more on 100% versions.

TOSEC is very bug ridden. There are a lot of wrongly named games/versions and the Amiga section hasn't been refined since January 2016.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to liveevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you guys,I'll try again with Gamebase then! I noticed that some games are availabe as ADF but also as IPF. And I'll have to find out which games are playable as IPF (as in not protected) and somehow filter the dupes.

Thanks

I created a DAT now which is basically a merge from the ADF and the SPS games. It started with all games from the GB ADF archive and then I added all games SPS games that were not in already. I'll attach the file just in case anyone else has a need for it... It is based on 2.1 ADF and 2.0 SPS (I have been told no new SPS have been added in 2.1).
    Thanks again!

gbamiga_AdfSps_2.1.rar