Thread: SEGA SATURN - please help

Thanks

Default SEGA SATURN - please help

Hi, I have a Japanese SEGA Saturn with an Action replay cart which has been flashed with Pseudo.
    For weeks it have been GREAT but I turned it on today and the Grey SEGA Saturn splash screen comes up and instead of starting the game (backup or original Japanese) or going to the graphic multi choice screen it goes into the bios Memory Manager screen!?

Any ideas please, the situation is the same with or without the AR/Pseudo cart in the machine.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This is a very odd issue

Have you tested booting the console up with no controller attached and no cart or game inserted?

Can you even back out of the Memory Manager?

Not sure if there is a way to boot directly into the Memory Manager with a Joypad combo or other trick, yet so far pulling up blanks on searching but there may be a way to do that and maybe that is what is happening, will keep digging though...

EDIT

By holding the left or right trigger when turning the system on, you can access the memory manager.
    You may need to clean your pad or get a new one, I would just clean it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-October-2016 at 17:46.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation

if the 3v button cell in the upper-left of the console is dead, it maybe as described above, corrupted eepram.
    that area of the saturn depends on a battery to keep the time and interior saves intact.
    not sure of the cartridge, but the battery going. ergo losing the ability to keep time and retain save capacity.
    if you can test the cell, do it.
    otherwise, get a new one.
    all the best.
    [edit]
    remove older cell while the console is off, leave for a few minutes, and replace with a new one.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If the battery is dead the console would ask for date and time on boot normally

Also the keys I quoted is actually Trigger L or Trigger R or Triggers L+R and takes you to System Settings that has Memory Manager as an option rather than booting directly into it, just tested a few things myself, it will do this regardless of Cart connected or not or CD in the drive or not, so not so sure that could be the issue

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Many thanks all, I will change battery tomo.
    Funnily enough, upon booting I had connected a controller which I had not used for ages (probably because it was faulty???).

Will report back, thanks again for helping.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good luck and hope this is something simple that can be resolved with something as simple as described above

The pad could very well be the issue as strange as that sounds

I had not heard of this issue and done a good but of digging yesterday and found nothing on the subject except the System Settings short cut that is actually in the manual for the console

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

SOLVED (with your help)! It was the battery, tested it and it ould be 3v but only had 1v - thanks again for taking the trouble to advice me. Appreciated.