Thread: Questions about CHD & Samples content pack updates

Thanks

Default Questions about CHD & Samples content pack updates

Hello,

I have some questions regarding CHD & Sample versions & update.
    I have the following sets & packs:
    1. Roms- 0.161 full set & update packs up until 0.178 (17 update packs).
    2. CHD- 0.161 full set
    3. Sampels- 0.175 full set.

I know that in order to use the rom update packs I need to use Clrmamepro.
    But what about the CHD & Samples? Are there any CHD or Samples update packs?
    If so – Should I use Clrmamepro also on them?

Thanks,
    Tal.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1. Roms will always need updating along with the version of MAME (Packs are not replacement roms so never copy the update packs over older rom sets, use clrmamepro to rebuild the set to your roms folder using the update pack as the source files)

2. Same as roms they will need updating to keep up with MAME, MAME can use new dumps as well as re-compressed to chd both make older chd's become unusable (the official build of MAME comes with extra tools some of those can be used to fix older chd's but some of those you will still need to grab again fresh)

3. Just so you know, there is no proper full samples set, but those will work with all versions of MAME and do not require updating unless there are new games added to MAME that would need samples for sound (Samples are not dumped like roms (rom chips dumped) or chd's (chd's are multi media storage like CD's DVD's HDD's and more) they are recorded as what originally produced, the sound is not something that can be dumped) some samples that are available are totally custom sounds and do not necessarily reflect the original sounds.

Update packs for chd's are not something you will find mostly due to the size of chd's (possibly torrents)
    Updates packs for samples... nope but you may find more via a few sites that dedicate just to samples (look through a few of the MAME sites to find those)

You may want to look at some of the art packs also that can be used like backdrop images used by a few of the older games and, surrounds used by a few more games, you will find links to sites for those when looking for samples anyway

I don't have time to do the digging for you at the moment though otherwise would of just linked you up to a few of those
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-October-2016 at 08:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR