Thread: SnesGX 4.1.9 ISO - won't work on Xeno GameCube - please advise.

Thanks

Default SnesGX 4.1.9 ISO - won't work on Xeno GameCube - please advise.

Hi, I have a Xeno chipped GameCube, it reads backups every time. I want a bootable DVD SNES emulator but when I wrote SnesGX 4.1.9 ISO to a DVD my GC reads it, the background appears, and then it hangs 'Reading DVD'.

Please advise.

Thanks
    Last edited by TonyN; 22nd-October-2016 at 22:23.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like a bad burn or just poor quality media

Best media for the GC is DVD+R then the highest quality of that format

DVD-R is ok if you get the best quality but the best quality DVD-R is much the same as low quality DVD+R at best

It was only the original fat PS2 that has issues with +R media because +R came out after that console, the GameCube does not have that issue though and plays DVD+R just fine

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Hi Zorlon, and thanks for advising.
    I have used Verbaim -R because I have never had a read failure using that brand.
    However, I will follow your advice and report back.

TonyN
    Last edited by TonyN; 23rd-October-2016 at 09:44.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Some Verbatim DVD media is actually made by CMC and very poor quality.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I am convinced it is not the DVD reading that is the problem, it is my ignorance I am afraid.
    I am making it up as I go along and do not know what to do or what files should be present ������

If we could proceed on the assumption that DVD's are ok, could somebody please give me a link to or step by step instructions on how to create a bootable SNES emulator & Roms from DVD on a Xeno modded GameCube.

Thanks to all that have helped so far
    Last edited by TonyN; 23rd-October-2016 at 14:25.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The disc image is already bootable

You booted it but you then had reading issues after, hanging on a Reading message (kinda tells you your machine is not reading the disc very well itself)

Burning should be done at the slowest possible speed (some burners work better at the next speed up from it's slowest, just very few most will burn best at there slowest possible speed)

ImgBurn is as good as any burning software just set the burn speed to 1x (the hardware will auto push for it's slowest speed that is normally faster than 1x anyway and force the software to burn at that speed)

You do know it may of just been a bad DVD still, every pack of DVD's I have had [I use Verbatim myself (not the CMC junk )] (though I do get 100 disc spindles) there is almost always at least one bad DVD in the pack.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

DEVELOPMENT! the cause of the problem was no SD card inserted! So I got it working and managed to run GC ROMs but no sound!? Any ideas,

The version included in the SNES9x package which I downloaded from this site was 9.14 or something.
    I cannot seem to find a similar SNES package with an upto date SNES9xGX included.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Build your own DVD

The emulator was never intended to be distributed packed with roms in an iso format but comes as a standard dol file

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon, that is what I would like to do but need a step by step guide.
    I am sure other people would find that very helpful too, there are lots of people showing it working on YouTube (what good is that??) but no step by step guides for newbies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I honestly doubt there would be that many people interested in a guide. Wii version yeah maybe, but the Wii version is different afaik as its tailored for more powerful hardware, so the emu is setup with that in mind.

Just try using a release designed for Wii, your cube won't like it.

Spoiler warning: