Thread: What is a good keyboard layout for PSX-PS2 games?

Thanks

Default What is a good keyboard layout for PSX-PS2 games?

I figured since modern PC gaming uses the keyboard a lot anyway...I would try it out with the PS2...and it WORKS. but what's the most ideal way of setting the keyboard up? Right now have the standard WASD as the left stick, and the numpad 8456 as the right stick, the numbers 1,2,3,4 as L1, L2, R1, and R2, but the rest I'm drawing a blank on...any pointers?

Thanks
    EP Points

Do yourself a favour and buy a controller like an Xbox 360 controller for Windows or even the Logitech F310 which is cheap and has the same controller layout as a PS controller.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
    I figured since modern PC gaming uses the keyboard a lot anyway...I would try it out with the PS2...and it WORKS. but what's the most ideal way of setting the keyboard up? Right now have the standard WASD as the left stick, and the numpad 8456 as the right stick, the numbers 1,2,3,4 as L1, L2, R1, and R2, but the rest I'm drawing a blank on...any pointers?
    This is currently the situation I'm in, what key bindings did you go with?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Noir View Post
    This is currently the situation I'm in, what key bindings did you go with?
    Draconiator already told said what key bindings got used

Personally I just use a PS2 pad via a USB convertor

Not many PC gamers use keyboard exclusively either and those that do use a keyboard use a mouse as well, be that a standard keyboard and mouse or a Gamers keyboard and mouse

A mouse would be used for aiming and shooting and a couple of other things and keyboard for more combo's with mouse and movement forward/back, strafe left/right, you could I guess look at some default PC game configs and compare those with a console ports, a number a gameFAQs do sometimes cover multi systems including the keys used on those platforms

Games aimed at windows today though aim for pad users, mostly the horrible 360 pad, that was also considered to be a windows pad (the wired one is anyway) 360 wireless pads need a dongle for PC to be able to hook em up, personally I'm not a fan of the 360 pads (they are ok but triggers need to be fixed to work correctly with some games as the deep triggers can not be used together if you do not fix them via software where as my PS2 pad just works with no drivers though you can use an extra driver to enable rumble, that driver works with 360 pads for the rumble feature also and most other pads with rumble)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-November-2016 at 08:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Draconiator already told said what key bindings got used
    He said he drew a blank on some of the keys, I was just wanting a follow-up to the narrative. The only game I got for my ps2 emulator is
    "RPG Maker 3" and want to avoid using my gamepad. I feel that a keyboard and mouse would be more beneficial to use with a game like that.

Thanks

For PSX I use...
    W= ▲
    A= ■
    S= X
    D= O
    F= Fast Forward (Under MISC. Not a controller command but it helps having the button nearby for long walks/cutscenes)
    ↑= Up key
    ↓= Down key
    ← = Left Key
    → = Right Key
    Q= L1
    E= R1
    1= L2
    3= R3
    as for Left Right A-Sticks and, L3 R3 I have em blank since I have no idea if setting em to my keyboard would even work. I mean how in the world are you gonna soft/half push on the thing.. I also avoid games that NEED the analog sticks. As for PS2... No idea I'd probably get a controller yeah?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by hisao_nakai View Post
    For PSX I use...
    I'll try this setup, thanks.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Another note:

You can't use more that 3 keys for any key combination with most keyboards (not sure if this is all keyboards)

Also you may get sticky key reports depending on what you are playing
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2016 at 04:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A actual gamepad is not a option?

I highly suggest you acquire one unless you enjoy carpel tunnel/general discomfort/annoyances.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have one, I just thought it might not be practical for "RPG Maker 3".

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Noir View Post
    I have one, I just thought it might not be practical for "RPG Maker 3".
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/928496-r.../images/167580

Seems it does not have any KB support, I used to own it and the console RPG Maker games are meant for controller use.

Console RPG Maker games are impractical because of space limitations, you can't be as creative as you want to be.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/928496-r.../images/167580

Seems it does not have any KB support, I used to own it and the console RPG Maker games are meant for controller use.

Console RPG Maker games are impractical because of space limitations, you can't be as creative as you want to be.
    I just wanted to play with the 3D models.