Thread: PS2 CD format games on softmoded FreeMcBoot ps2?

Thanks

Default PS2 CD format games on softmoded FreeMcBoot ps2?

Hi, i'd like to know if there's a way to play CD format games on a softmoded ps2 with ESR patch on a CD/DVD or from an USB/HDD device via openps2loader?
    by CD format games i mean like Way Of The Samurai 1, Quake III revolution and Wizardry, because i had issues before with them in a matrix modded PS2 but turned out that i just needed to burn them in an actual CD instead of DVD, but on a softmoded PS2 i just don't know how to do it since i can't even ESR patch the files.

again, thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Convert CD to DVD if possible (may not work for all games) then esr patch after that.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation

Spoiler warning:
    @ sysop/owner.
    really need to do something about the epf db backup timings.
    it's a JOKE (not in any good taste) and continues to undo many of my posts, meaning they have to be redone, case and point.
    (site suspension and db backup appears to take place between 07:00 and 09:00 GMT. please implement a countdown timer to site backup on the frontend please.
    it will help some to not post til it's safe, NOT waste time and effort, thanks for reading.)

okay, done a copy-paste of a guide that's from a place i have nothing to do with anymore, not my work.
    also removed the outside other link and killed the bunk image references, they're no longer available/hosted.
    How To Convert a Playstation 2 CD Based Game To DVD For Use With ESR

This tutorial will show you how to use UltraISO to convert PS2 CD based games to DVD format so you can burn to DVD and use on your FMCB ESR memory card modded PS2's.

ESR will not work with CD based games. Its only compatible with DVD. So thats why we need to convert CD based games.

This is the exact process that I have used on all of the DVD Converted PS2 games I have uploaded. I did not grab them from somewhere, I used this process on all of them.

Programs you will need

1. UltraISO-- You can download a free trial or purchase it for $29.99 here http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/
    Or torrents are your friend

2. ESR Disc Patcher GUI v024a
    You can download this here on site [OMIT] , but more than likely you already have this if you are wanting to convert to use with ESR right?

3. A CD based Playstation 2 game. Doesnt really matter what the format is. It just needs to be CD based. Bin/Cue is preferred. CD based ISOs work as well. For this tutorial, I will be using Psyvariar Complete. Why? Because this game owns and everyone should have it.

Note the name of the file, PsyvariarCompleteCD.iso. This game is CD based.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we have everything you need. Lets break it down. Once you do this a couple times. This is a very quick and easy process.

Step 1-- Open up UltraISO. Here is what it looks like. We will only be using one tab here, which is "File", in the very top left hand corner.

Step 2- Click "File" in the top left hand corner, and from the dropdown menu that appears, click "Open"

Step 3- Find your CD based game. Im sure you know where you have it on your computer right? Find it and double click on it.

After you open the file in UltraISO, you will see all of the files load up. You dont need to worry about them, you arent doing anything with them. Heres what this Psyvariar Complete looks like opened.

Step 4-- Click file in the top left hand corner again. Then click properties from the drop down menu. It will bring up the properties of the menu.

Step 5- When you open the properties. You will be on the first tab, which is "File System". This is the only tab we will be working with..

Notice on the top, where it says "Media: 650MB/74Min". This is a CD format. Click the drop down menu, and click 4.7(4.37)GB.

Now it will read "4.7(4.37)GB for the media type.

In CD file system on the same properties page, ISO 9660 will have a checkmark and will be greyed out, you cant change it.

Put a checkmark in UDF. This is VERY important. If you dont put a check mark in this, your DVD game will not have a UDF descriptor. And you cannot ESR patch games that dont have a UDF descriptor.

On the same properties page, under where it says "ISO 9660 FileName Format, make sure "Windows/Unix(31) is bubbled in. More than likely, it already is. I dont remember ever having to change this.

Once your properties screen lookes exactly like the picture below, click Set As Default

Step 6-- Now you will be back to your original UltraISO screen, with your CD game still open.

Click file once again, then click "Save As"

Step 7- Name the file whatever you want. Im naming mine Psyvariar Complete DVD Convert.

Click the save as type drop down menu. You want to choose "Standard ISO File (*.iso)

Click Ok

Once you click ok, it will have a progress bar. Its converting it to DVD. Once the file is at 100%, you are done.

You may now close UltraISO, you are completely done with it.

Note the photo below, I now have 2 ISO files. (Yes I realize I made a typo and named it Conplete)
    When you convert it, it does not convert the CD file to DVD. It creates you an entirely new DVD based ISO. Either keep the CD file or delete it. One more note on this. When you convert it, the DVD file will be smaller than the CD file. Dont worry about it. Its normal.

Last step is just to make sure you patch it with ESR. You probably already know this step. Or you wouldnt be reading this guide right?

Thats it. Burn it, I suggest ImgBurn. And get ready to play.

Final note-- some games just will not work after being converted. Nothing we can do about it.
    thanks Smashey9 for this, works every time for a friends pos waferstation.

Thanks

cool, that also works if i want to use openps2loader with usbutil instead?
    i don't mind using a DVD if it's the only way, but for that size yeah, i'd rather use openps2loader method tho.

Thanks
    EP Points

dunno, don't care.
    the op was answered sufficiently.
    still, if using in the manner of the last question, expect harddisk capacity to go bye-bye.
    afaik, usb and internal harddisks DON'T require the cd to dvd shit.
    ask at a dedicated ps2 forum.
    all the best.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by delroku View Post
    cool, that also works if i want to use openps2loader with usbutil instead?
    i don't mind using a DVD if it's the only way, but for that size yeah, i'd rather use openps2loader method tho.
    Converting CD to DVD is not required for USB, Network or HDD methods of booting it is only needed for ESR booting as that only reads DVD's and not CD's

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Converting CD to DVD is not required for USB, Network or HDD methods of booting it is only needed for ESR booting as that only reads DVD's and not CD's
    Just the UDF right? maybe that's what happening with the games since i tried to do that and OPL tells me that the game is fragmented.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Patching then trying with OPL will result in an error

ESR patching basically changes one of the DVD descriptors from DVD DATA to DVD VIDEO, tricking the PS2 into thinking it is a DVD Video and preventing the RED This is not a PS2 disc message and allowing the ESR elf homebrew to boot the game, using this with anything else though will result in it being unusable (Because of what is changed prevents this from working with CD's hence the need to convert to DVD first) [This will never work with PSone/PSX games though]

There is an unpatch option but the integrity of the image may be damaged as the resulting image after patching and then unpatching is not the same as it was before patching was done (something changes and I never bothered to find out what that was.)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 19th-October-2016 at 16:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR