Thread: End to End MAME Guide

Thanks

Default End to End MAME Guide

Hi All,

I've finally got round to getting my emulation rig set up for all the usual emulators, Sega, Nintendo etc... now I'm at MAME.

I did a fair bit of reading last night on getting MAME set up. So I know that the Emu has to be the same version as the ROMS, some games need CHDs, BIOS etc etc.

Now, I also know that lots of people have issues with MAME, and it's usually version problems. So I'm prepared for that.

I've got the 0.161 Romset, and all the updates to 0.177. I'm using Retroarch for most emulators to keep my setup simple. I know Retroarch has MAME cores (MAME2003, 2010, 2014 & MAME), so I have a few questions, and hope someone can give me to guidance etc.

I'm also aware of a program called Clrmame Pro for updating and tidying up the ROM collection.

The guides I have come across on YT etc are good, but not particularly clear in my opinion. I have a few questions, which I'd appreciate some help on, before I start going head first in to setting this up, and hitting problems!

The Retroarch cores, how do you tell what version of MAME they are, ie. 0.171, 0.174 etc etc, to match the right romset?

Is the MAME emu better than using Retroarch?

MAMEUI is from and a different website to the latest MAME version, I assume they are the same, one has a UI and one is command line?

Are there any decent guides on using Clrmame Pro? How do you actually work with the zipped update packs?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dmn1981; 2nd-October-2016 at 10:34.