Thread: Wii iso's storage

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Wii iso's storage

Is there a better way to store my Wii is0's on my hard drive? Nintendo .iso format takes up 4gb per game, .wbfs is not much better. I like just having my computer hooked to the TV rather than a dozen odd gaming systems, but the amount of storage needed for the Wii games is huge....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

External HDD.
    I have all my Wii/Gamecube games (iso or gcm) on a 1TB drive and it still has free space.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I have all my games on 1TB external, but thats a little overkill tbh...but works great and thats all that matters plus I have my game cube games on there too.

Thanks
    EP Points

Granted, I am a game backup hoarder, tending more towards a No-Intro style collection. That said, I am at 2.39 TB for my Wii collection alone -- only lacking 60 odd games. My storage demands are getting intense, currently at 9TB total and going towards 13TB....

Thanks
    EP Points

Well if you're collecting all known titles it probably would take up quite a bit of space. But so many Wii titles are just landfill, so I only have what I want and some odd random stuff that I got for other people.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Are you familiar with Scrubbing Wii ISOs? Some games are really small after the useless data such as updates are removed from the disk. The Mario anniversary game for example is like 36MBs.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Are you familiar with Scrubbing Wii ISOs? Some games are really small after the useless data such as updates are removed from the disk. The Mario anniversary game for example is like 36MBs.
    Actually the PAL version of Super Mario All-Stars can be scrubbed & trimmed right down to about 14MB afaik, but doing that isn't any good for preservation.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah. Believe it or not, that is a scrubbed total, all stored as WBFS files. Just big games, I suppose. All NTSC games, and a good number of PAL (European) unique titles with a splattering of Japanese titles. Basically it is the Hyperspin list with a few of their omissions....

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm all my Wii games are iso on NTFS format HDD. A few might've been scrubbed but most of those just had dummy data removed, even the updates were still there (although maybe that was removed on the odd few titles I can't remember now).
    That's all on a single 1TB drive, and Gamecube titles are on there too.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

That's why I asked. Understand that this is a repository of sorts, Current Wii library is 1418 (2.39TB) in wbfs format. Gamecube is 864gb and 636 titles, all in iso format. I was hoping there was a more efficient way to store them, but, I guess the shear size of the games makes that difficult. For now. I'd love to expand to 360 titles, but they are, as yet, to new....

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by celticsam View Post
    That's why I asked. Understand that this is a repository of sorts, Current Wii library is 1418 (2.39TB) in wbfs format. Gamecube is 864gb and 636 titles, all in iso format. I was hoping there was a more efficient way to store them, but, I guess the shear size of the games makes that difficult. For now. I'd love to expand to 360 titles, but they are, as yet, to new....
    Eh, no. There's a 360 section in the forums but don't expect a comprehensive selection of titles. For that I would just stick to exclusives anyway, and maybe "best" console versions eg TES IV, Fallout 3 GotY, Fallout NV if you're not collecting PC releases.
    There aren't any Wii/360/PS3 downloads on the main site as I'm sure you're aware.

Wii and PSP (ok DSL too if you count that as last gen but I don't have DSi) are the only last gen consoles I have that are modded, my 360/PS3 collection is purely legit physical/digital atm.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

2 TB drive on my end and it's full

There are a few needless games on there

Formatted Fat32 with 32 sectors

3 Partitions that I remember apx 500 games per partition (for two partitions anyway) otherwise the Wii has problems reading more than 500 games from a single partition if I remember correctly (don't know if the Loader devs ever fixed that or not), the 3rd partition has all my homebrew on it emulators, roms, settings including those settings for the USB loader, box art ect ect ect as well as an emulated Nand with tons of WiiWare and Virtual Console games on it, there are also a few PC tools on there for GC and Wii, mostly for adding games, the Wii PC software autoloads when I plug the HDD in to my PC

I don't use an SD card at all in my Wii and try to avoid having anything on my internal Nand, that is mostly full just from saves, so switched to Virtual Nand for saves

If I wanted everything even just narrowing it down to 1 of each game without regional dupes I could still fill a 2TB drive and run out of space even after a full scrub (Can't be done with all games as some will result in a broken game especially from a full scrub) wbfs file format (Not talking about the drives format that is Fat 32 with the 32 sector thing) tends to reduce the size of most games just fine anyway there are some that do not though and some that are from DVD9 sized discs (Very few are on DVD9) and some that will reduce to a tiny size because DVD was over kill for some Wii games to start with.

GC games can also be scrubbed again not all will work after a scrub though so make sure you test as you go.

EDIT:- Moved to correct section
    Last edited by Zorlon; 9th-November-2016 at 09:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by celticsam View Post
    You can compress those Gamecube games down a bit using certain tools, but if your Wii games are already stored as .wbfs and scrubbed there isn't much more that can be done to those, .wbfs is about as good as it gets. I've tried .cso for Wii roms before and it's compression actually isn't as good.