Thread: Something like No Intro for MAME Roms?

Thanks

Default Something like No Intro for MAME Roms?

Hey there, I managed to build a 1G1R collection for most of the systems. Some systems dont have P/C dat lists at dat-o-matic, but most of them don't have much roms at all so I can sort them by hand when I find the time. I just don't want to see the same game multiple times when I browse my games in the frontend. Now I downloaded a romset for mame (v 0.151 because this is the latest version that works with RetroArch) and I wonder if there is anything like the no intro p/c dats for MAME roms too so I can sort out all the roms that are just different versions of the same game?

Bonus Question (Don't want to open a new thread for this): The romset doesn't contain chd files. I understand these are hard drive files which can take several amounts of disc space. Are they really needed? If yes, are there sets for chd files too? Same with samples. Are they absolutely needed?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Samples, are sound samples but are not needed just those games will have no sound in them
    CHD's, are other media asides from rom chips like CD-Rom, GD-Rom, DVD-Rom and HDD these are required by the few games that use them

If you are to build a set with just one copy of each game then you need to make sure you have the Parent rom fro each game as the other versions use roms from the parent rom set as well as the roms in there own set

This may of already been done though

Also note that the parent rom of a MAME game may not be working but a clone/alt regional version may be working that bring me to that not all games in the MAME list work anyway Parent or clone or even alt region because MAME contains alot of WIP drivers
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-September-2016 at 02:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Ok, I think I can ignore samples for now. clrmamepro says I am missing 4707/4707 and I won't search them all one by one. Or are there any sets only containing the samples?

You are saying a few games need CHD, according to clrmamepro there are 667 chds. Any idea how much space these would take and where to find them? 528 weren't included in the set I loaded. I am not sure if I try to find them or if I exclude these sets from my collection. Depends on how much space it would take.

You say some parents or clones may not work with mame, but isn't the purpose of these romsets to contain all and only roms that work with this specific version of mame?

Regarding filtering roms I found this on Reddit. aza9999's comment looks exactly like what I was looking for. I'll try this when I have the time.

Edit: Okay, I found a chd set for 0.161 here and it is 350 gb, I guess I'll just exclude games that need them.
    Last edited by Kinc4id; 28th-September-2016 at 13:10.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.progettosnaps.net/samples/ or http://samples.mameworld.info/

You will still have some samples missing as some never got done or was the case when I last looked into that

Last CHD update I done and it will be old now was around 300GB I think it was (I don't have my MAME drive hooked up so can't be certain)

Nope rom sets contain all the roms that MAME xxx version has drivers for including games that only WIP drivers are there for and alot of those will not even go into any playable screens this is not the same as just providing games that are fully playable
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-September-2016 at 14:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Another question: I don't fully understand what "sets" exactly mean in clrmamepro. Clrmamepro says I am missing 0 roms and 133 sets. As far as I understood the "set" is basically the zip file with all the different roms in all the different versions in it. If that is the case, how can I have all roms but not all sets?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

set the scan for just roms and sets

take chd's samples and whatever else off the list of things to scan

look at the details to what is actually missing it will tell you what is wrong or missing

some sets don't just include roms, check the logs for details you may need everything tagged to get a full log
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2016 at 08:21.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Thats what I already did. Log says for every item just a missing set.

Example:

War Gods (HD 12/11/1995) [folder: wargodsb - parent: wargods - size: 160kb]
    missing set: War Gods (HD 12/11/1995)

But when I show the set information for some of the sets they all have chd files.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The file hash could be different , file hashes do change for various arcade roms from each MAME version.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Shouldn't the hashes be correct when I load the set for this specific mame version? And what files exactly? The roms or the zip? I still don't understand how I can have all roms but not all sets when the sets are only a collection of roms, chd and samples (and chd and samples are excluded).

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kinc4id View Post
    Shouldn't the hashes be correct when I load the set for this specific mame version? And what files exactly? The roms or the zip? I still don't understand how I can have all roms but not all sets when the sets are only a collection of roms, chd and samples (and chd and samples are excluded).
    The roms the zip hashes are not even looked at

the CHD has a higher chance of being the issue though not the roms in this case

Possibly on older CHD that needs to be updated to use the new chd compression

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok, so when I am not missing any roms, all the rom hashes should be correct, right?

When I exclude chd files from scanning, the sets that need chd files are still shown as missing? If yes, is there a way to exclude these sets completely?

How can I update chd files to the newer compression? Can I do this automatically somehow or do I have to find the updated chd files?

As far as I now all chd files are in there own folder named after the set it belongs to, right? If yes, I don't have any chd files. There are only zip files in my rom folder, no extra folders.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

correct and that would be the reason chd requires games are not showing as complete sets

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

So clrmamepro still shows me the sets that need chd files even if I excluded chd from the scan? Whats the purpose of excluding them then? And can I completely filter these sets in clrmamepro so I can see if all the sets that don't need chd files are complete?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

yes excluding them still shows that all roms are there

if a set includes more than roms it will still show sets missing something but if you do not scan for sets but just roms it will show as 100% complete same goes for just scanning chd's and scanning chd's with sets will show tons missing that do not use chd's
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2016 at 20:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok, I think I understood. I think the confusion came from the word "missing". The sets aren't really missing, they are just incomplete. Thanks for your answers.