Thread: Current DS emulation?

Thanks

Default Current DS emulation?

My emulator No$GBA has trouble running Pokemon Pearl but I think it might be old as I had this emulator for hears. It ran Mega Man Star Force Pegasus not too long ago but I am not sure if it can run it now and it has been awhile since I used it. With that out of the way, how are the current DS emulators? Are they bette than the current ones or is it all the same?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Desmume core in Retroarch is far better than No$GBA and the vanilla Desmume.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

I tried that Retroarch program or whatever it is but I am always confused on how to set it up. How does that Retroarch prorgram, emulator, whatever it is work?
    Last edited by GAP; 23rd-September-2016 at 21:41.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sorry about the confusion, reason RetroArch is strange is it is meant to be used with a controller and your controller should have the layout set so it resembles the SNES and Dualshock gamepads.

Once that is set you can navigate the menu easily and set up playlists with pictures and all kinds of stuff.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Is Retroarch even an emulator? It seems as though that you need some cores or something in order to use it. It always seem to crash on me and it appears that you need a really powerful to use it. I don't even know how to install as unlike regular emulators, it isn't an .exe program that I can simply open up.
    Last edited by GAP; 24th-September-2016 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Is Retroarch even an emulator? It seems as though that you need some cores or something in order to use it. It always seem to crash on me and it appears that you need a really powerful to use it. I don't even know how to install as unlike regular emulators, it isn't an .exe program that I can simply open up.
    It is the official frontend to the libretro core system, you get the cores either from the buildbot repository or just use the built in Online Updater.

Its not the standard point & click setup you are used to as RetroArch was made to be usable on various devices and systems, you control it with a controller.

I am assuming you just got the exe when you need the entire package - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly...4/RetroArch.7z

That is for 64 bit computers, if you use 32 bit they have that too.

It will need a quick one time setup for your controller and whatnot, then its smooth sailing with no hassles.

Thanks

I will give it a shot but this Retroarch thing is confusing to me.

Edit: Where do I find the executable for Retroarch?
    Last edited by GAP; 25th-September-2016 at 04:18.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will give it a shot but this Retroarch thing is confusing to me.

Edit: Where do I find the executable for Retroarch?
    Different things take time, I'm sure once you get everything going you will love it.

Feel free to ask me if you have any issues and il do my best to help resolve them.

Thanks

What can I do about the an error about missing _itoa_s function in msvcrt.dll?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What can I do about the an error about missing _itoa_s function in msvcrt.dll?
    Do you have the latest DirectX redist installed and all of the Visual C++ runtimes installed?

Those are what most things need on windows to avoid complications.

Thanks

Also, do you have a guide on how to install Retroarch on Windows? I am very confused and I need a step-by-step guide to Retroarch.

Edit: Is DeSume work on old computers? My older computers are usable and they have 2.0 GB of RAM. Pokemon is hard to run on the DS emulators for this reason.
    Last edited by GAP; 1st-October-2016 at 06:38.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ram is not enough information to go on, Warrior would need more info like CPU and GPU specs, possibly OS also

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Here are my current PCs:

1. Compaq Presario 4406RSH (Primary)

Windows XP Home

Intel Celeron (TM) CPU

1400 MHz

1.40 GHz, 512 MB of Ram

2. HP 15 Home (Primary, Secondary)

Intel (R) Pentium (R) N3450 @2.16GHz

Windows 10 Home

4.00 GB

64 bit Operating System, x64 based processor

3. HP Vectra 420 SL

Windows XP Professional Service Pack Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60 GHz

1.59 GHz 256 MB of RAM

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Here is a copy paste from the DeSmuME site

Spoiler warning:

What are the minimum hardware requirements for DeSmuME?

From a purely technical standpoint, there are no real minimum requirements. However, for bearable speeds in most games (with a few exceptions), you would need at least the following:

Windows: Windows XP SP2 or later
    Mac: OS X v10.5.8 Leopard or later
    Linux: Any recent Linux distribution with a 2.6 kernel
    CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
    RAM: 1 GB

What are the recommended hardware requirements for DeSmuME?

The following configuration should assure that almost every game can be played at full speed:

Windows: Windows Vista SP2 or later
    Mac: OS X v10.6.8 Snow Leopard or later
    Linux: Any recent Linux distribution with a 2.6 kernel.
    CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent
    RAM: 2 GB

There are several different DeSmuME executables available. Which EXE do I use?

Windows: For most users, the best version to use is the 64-bit build. Most modern setups will support the 64-bit build, and it should always be your first choice in DeSmuME EXEs. However, if the 64-bit build doesn't work out for you, there are also the standard 32-bit and 32-bit non-SSE2 builds to choose from. Also, if you are a developer, you can use the dev build.
    If you have a 32-bit CPU (or are running 32-bit Windows), use the standard 32-bit build. Note that this build is SSE2-enabled, and therefore requires an Intel Pentium 4, AMD Opteron, or AMD Athlon 64 CPU or newer in order to run.
    If you have an older CPU, use the 32-bit non-SSE2 build. However, the non-SSE2 build has lower performance than the standard 32-bit build, so only use it if your CPU does not support SSE2.
    If you want to use the developer features, use the dev build. It includes extra debugging code and logging.
    Mac: DeSmuME.app contains binaries for PPC, x86, x64. OS X will automatically choose the best binary to run on your hardware. You can override the automatic selection in the Finder by selecting DeSmuME.app and choosing File > Get Info. Then in the Get Info panel, you can select which binary to run.
    To run as 32-bit PPC: Enable "Open using Rosetta". (Note that this option is only available on OS X v10.5 Leopard and v10.6 Snow Leopard. Rosetta is not available on later OS X versions.)
    To run as 32-bit x86: Enable "Open in 32-bit mode".
    To run as 64-bit x64: Disable both "Open in 32-bit mode" and "Open using Rosetta" options.
    Linux: Linux users are expected to build DeSmuME from source and know the best configure settings for their hardware. See Installing DeSmuME from source on Linux for more information.

looks like you need to use your Win 10 machine.

What did you attempt to use RetroArch on?

Did you grab RetroArch.7z?

The large archive that is around 80 MB.

Thanks

Was that the nightly build you linked to? I tried to open it but it won't load up on my older computers.