Thread: Capturing problem.

Thanks

Default Capturing problem.

Okay, let's see, how should I begin?

After finally getting VirtualDub to work with my WDM capture driver, I noticed that it only recorded black and white. Now I know this is because it's probably set to NTSC(U), and it should be set to PAL(B), but when I tried to acces my card's configuration, through Display Properties, I got an error that said:

"An error has occured as Windows tried to work with the Desktop Control panel file: DESK.CPL"

I can't remember last time I accesed my cards config, but apperently, something has gone horribly wrong. My card still works and everything, but I simply can't access the control panel configuration.

And what's with this DESK.CPL? How do I get it to work?

more info:

Windows 98SE (English)
    A-open Geforce4Ti 4200 128mb DDR AV/in-out
    Detonator 43.45 (I think, it's the latest anyway...)

Thanks

Try to uninstall and reinstall your driver again. BTW I think the latest version for det driver is 44.03.

They are hot, aren't they??

Thanks

Ok ok, so I deinstalled everything and got everything to work again. It seemed however that that wasn't the problem, but that I overlooked an option in VirtualDUB which allowed me to select the type of input. And I had to select "composite" instead of "s-video". (Kindof feel embaraced now) So that worked, but I'm still facing a new problem.

I wanna know what the best compression is for capturing (in other words: which codec is really fast, smaller then uncompressed video, but still without quality loss?). And then I would also like to know what the best settings are for DivX 5.0.2 to have max compression without quality loss, or a way in which I could find out that wouldn't require a trial and error system.

I've seen entire 2 hour movies on a single CD-ROM before, DVD quality. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks

Hmmm...I am not too familiar with DIVX encoding process but you could try a new codec called XVID and I heard very good comment about that. You can get it from www.xvid.org

Also, you can try a program called Dr Divx from www.divx.com, I think it will take the video you capture and convert them using divx 5.0.5. Visit :here from more info.

Try to visit www.dvdrhelp.com for more help.

Sorry if I can't help you out...
    Last edited by Astro X; 18th-June-2003 at 22:01.

They are hot, aren't they??

Thanks

xvid: xvid is bascially the standard today for "backing up" your dvd's.

So yes, you should try xvid and dvdrhelp.com should get you started in making good quality videos.

Any file thats named *.cpl means it's a control panel file.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Thanks

Ok, thanks guys