Thread: Can USB ports damage USB devices?

Thanks

Unhappy Can USB ports damage USB devices?

I have/had a Super Dual Box PSX>USB converter but after fooling around with my new PC's front USB ports and going away for the weekend I find that my Super Dual Box hardware revision 3 is no longer being detected by windowsXP. I have a MSI K7N2 ILSR Delta motherboard and a chieftec fulltower case. So when I tried to get the front USB working I wasn't able to get it to work but I did plug in my USB converter, now I have problem SO bottom line is, can USB ports damage your hardware if the pins for the port were connected wrongly? And is there anyway to repair the stupid converter

THanks, BTW the reason I was confused on getting the front panel to work is because the wires for the panel ffrom the case are labeled the same as the FIREWIRE pins are in my MOBO manual, HOWEVER the pins for the USB 2.0 are labeled DIFFERENTLY and therefore I ended up expiramenting to try and get the USB to work. If you need further info like a scanned page from my mobo manual or such just ask, thanks.

~Vio

Ace Guest

Ehhmm yes you can damage stuff if you put enough force into it. It's that way with everything.

Thanks

I meant can you fry devices with USB ports?

Whereever the hell I happen to be. though it shold be planted in my chair in front of my computer.
    Thanks

from my knowledge, you can... I did it with a mouse... I dunno if it can be fixed, but you should keep looking...

Thanks

Default lol...

Yes it can, but you'd have to buy a really cheap case for that to happen. I've had many computers leave the shop after I build them and I have yet to find one of our cases mess up the usb device, knock on wood.

Graphics, and 3D polygons don't make great games, story-lines do!!

Grantu2

Thanks

I don't exactly consider a Chieftec case to be cheap, do you? What my problem is, I don't really know how to connect the pins to the USB connectors, so if I did that wrong, could that mess things up too? and if so are my front USB ports still working?