Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your Computer Specs here

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

well...seeing your spending 110 for a new HD, why don't you just save a bit more money and go to best buy next thanksgiving (during their after-thanksgiving sale) and pick up a cheap emachines desktop for like 180 bucks? one of my friends did that last thanksgiving and payed $160 for the following:
    celeron D 2.66ghz
    512 ddr 2700
    60 gig hd (donno speed)
    dvd
    cd-rw

i'm not sure of specific specs, but if you go next thanksgiving, i'm sure they're better than this one, and you can take that 60 gig hd out of your old computer and plug in your old video card and monitor and you'll have a much more decent computer.

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks

sniper, if anything I'm gonna build a custom machine and not another so-called computer by HP or eMachines. By far, I've got a computer already setup on Newegg.com via the wish list. It doesn't have the best specs, but it will pwn my computer I have now. I just wanna keep this one for as long as possible before it dies on me. In fact, I'm gonna include a Richtext file to see what you peeps think of the system I plan to build sooner or later. Don't be greedy, but rip it apart as much as you want. I am not planning to build a computer that is uber powerful, just one that is suitable for the gaming in the upcoming years (I hope...). If this isn't allowed, or any mods think this to be off topic, go ahead and move it or delete it. My bad if that is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

i'd recommend going with more RAM(a gig) and an athlon 64, instead of socket A/32bit. Rest of it is nice though.

Thanks

Hmm, I thought (key: THOUGHT) that 512MB RAM would get me by. If you're into newer 3-d games (say, UT2K4) and you're runnin' WinXP, 512MB is not enough (trust me). But, you need a dual channel kit (or just two sticks the same) anyway, because you have a dual channel board . . .

I'd say the AMD XP is fine . . .

But do not sell yourself short in the graphics card dept. ATI Radeon 9600 XT is NOT the card to get. Make sure to get at LEAST 8 pipes on your graphics card. Try for a nVidia GeForce FX 5900 XT (I'm not so sure about the "overclockablity" of this card, but it's a pretty good card) or the ATI Radeon 9800 (non-PRO, NOT SE) ATI cards are EXTREMELY easy to overclock. If you can find one, a Radeon 9700 PRO would be a good card (cheaper than the 9800, leaps and bounds better than the 9600). Shoot, MY graphics card (ATI Radeon 9500 PRO) runs neck and neck (stock) with a 9600 XT. The only reason that the 9600XT comes anywhere close is that it's clock speed is way higher (to the tune of twice the speed). However, there is a really cool program called ATI Tool that allows me to overclock my card. So, my $95 (shipped) card whips up on the 9600XT ($150+shipping) . . .

Try to aviod any VIA chipsets. They are generally inferior to the nForce. Additionally, the Soundstorm integrated kicks the you know what out of the soundMAX integrated one. Plus, if you get proper integrated sound (read: the nForce one) then you don't have to bother with the sound card . . .

If you go with the nForce board, it might be worthwhile leaning toward an nVidia graphics card.

Anyway, that's my 10 cents on the matter (it's much too long to be two cents)
    Last edited by TheMathGuy; 2nd-March-2005 at 05:12.

Thanks

TheMathGuy and sniper, sorry for the raggedy look of the specs I put down for the new computer I hope someday to build. According to my wishlist on newegg.com, I have 2 orders of memory there, so don't think I'm cheaping out for only 512MB. That's what I'm gettin' in a few days for the compy I'm typing on right now (plus this one only has a max of 512 anyways). So I will be getting a gig of RAM for this "dream" computer of mine. But nonetheless (I like this word ), let's try to get this thread back on track. Post your specs peeps!. I already did, like, three times!

EDIT: And BTW... Uncle Evil, that comp of yours is smoking... just beautiful.

Thanks

Ha ha, whoops . . . didn't notice the "quantity: two"

By the way, I feel your pain on the PCI card in the HP . . . I only upgraded to this comp about six months back. The one before it was an HP with integrated graphics. I decided to replace the Graphics card, so I opened it up to confirm I had an AGP slot. Ha Ha! Wrong! Stupid HP had a motherboard with a whole one (1) free PCI slot. BOOGERS!

Thanks

wow...my HP had 3 pci AND an agp slot...but it was an old HP, i think the newer ones actually have much less cause they already gave you everything you need (or at least so they say) integrated.

Thanks

Well thanks for your input on that, and if you didn't see in the Posi-vibe thread, I got my memory I had ordered, but it turned up faulty. I tried everything, but nothing worked, and so by tomorrow, it will be back off to La Puente, CA. And BTW MathGuy... My comp had no AGP and only three PCI slots. How old was yours? Currently mine's about two and a half years and kinda going strong. Otherwise, everything's good.

Thanks

oh, i have a computer from 2 and a half years ago! its a dell dimension 2350
    1.7celeron
    1 x 256 ddr2100
    60gb 7200rpm
    40gb 5400rpm
    48cd-rom
    48x12x48x cd-rw
    geforce4 MX 440-se PCI
    winXP home

since this is the computer spec thread and i don't remember if i've ever posted mine before, i'll post my other computers too.

my laptop i'm on right now:
    HP pavilion 4610us (1 year old)
    amd athlon 2500+ "Barton"
    1 x 256ddr2100
    40gb 4200 rpm
    24x24x24x8 dvd/cd-rw
    ATI IGP-m 320
    WinXP Pro

My file server:
    HP pavilion 4455 (bought in 1998, i think...that makes it...7 years old?)
    celeron 400mhz
    2 x 128mb pc133 sdram
    6gb 5400 rpm
    40gb 7200 rpm
    32x cd-rom
    ATI RAGE PRO AGP 4x 8mb
    winXP Pro

my dad's computer:
    Compaq something (<1 year old)
    athlon 3000+
    1 x 512 ddr2700
    160gb 7200 rpm
    16x dvd-rom
    16x8x2.4x40x24x40x (not sure how to list all those speeds...) Dvd+/-/Cd-RW DL
    Integrated Via chipset
    WinXP home

Dad's laptop:
    compaq something (not sure of age...company laptop)
    P-m "centrino" 1.7ghz
    512 ddr (not sure of speed)
    dvd/cd-rw combo
    Intel extreme graphics
    WinXP Pro
    not sure of other specs...i've never touched it.

brother's laptop:
    Clevo something (2 years old)
    celeron 2.0ghz
    1 x 256 ddr2100
    40gb 4200rpm
    cd-rom drive
    external USB2.0 dvd/cd-rw combo
    SiS chipset
    WinXP Pro

think that about covers it..

oh...used to have a 486 couple years ago, sadly it died. specs of the 486 are:
    generic white case
    486DX 66mhz
    16mb ram (no clue what kind)
    200mb HD
    1GB second HD
    no optical drive
    no idea on graphics...it ran Tyrian great (I LOVED that game! )
    Win95 / DOS 6
    Last edited by sniperrfl1011; 3rd-March-2005 at 04:34.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linkinkampf19
    I got my memory I had ordered, but it turned up faulty. I tried everything, but nothing worked, and so by tomorrow, it will be back off to La Puente, CA.
    Out of curiosity, what kind of RAM did you say you ordered? (I seem to recall something about DDR in your wish list . . . While I can't say for certain, was DDR 400 out when a Celeron 1.4 Ghz was out?

Quote Originally Posted by linkinkampf19
    And BTW MathGuy... My comp had no AGP and only three PCI slots. How old was yours? Currently mine's about two and a half years and kinda going strong. Otherwise, everything's good.
    Mine was, aw, shoot, I don't know, it was OLD. Celeron 500/96MB RAM/Integrated everything. I'd put it about at '99 or so . . . The parents bought it brand new at the time (it obviously wasn't top of the line) Set 'em back almost $1000. Ha Ha, now my comp (specs some number of posts ago) cost well under that (about $850 including the HT receiver) and is actually decent equipment. (It was even sweeter when I got it six months ago.)
    Anyway, the HP went strong until the day it died (massive Hard drive crash, swapped in a new one (I've got lots of misc. computer parts layin' about) and it didn't want to reload Windows 98SE . . .oh well, it was well past time to get a new one . . .

Thanks

TheMathGuy, the RAM I ordered was PC133 SDRAM. It said that my comp can handle PC100 only, but I've already got the stock 128MB and a stick of Crucial 256MB RAM installed, and both are PC133, so why not? Plus, the PC100 was double the dough.

Oh, you got mixed up too... The wish list I posted is for a future project, whereas the memory I had recently ordered was for the computer I currently have, that crapped out on me, and I finally found out why; I had my comp use its diagnositc screen when booting, which tests the RAM and such, and the comp recognized the new RAM but then when I thought all was good to go, it just stops at 444MB. Maybe a sign of Satan?
    The DDR RAM I ordered is going to be PC3200.

BTW... my posts are getting kinda long with me gloating about my comp specs in my sig, so gonna try changing it.

Thanks

-Pentium 4 2.4Ghz (overclocked to 3Ghz though I turned it down recently as that much power is simply not necessary at the moment)
    -1GB (2x512mb dual channel) DDR PC3200 RAM
    -120GB ATA HD (full up need a new SATA drive badly!)
    -16x NEC 3500 DVD-R Dual layer writer
    -Floppy drive! (shall never die)
    -128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (flashed to run as a 9800 XT baby!)

Thanks

Desktop:
    Amd Athlon XP 2500+@3200+ (barton)
    Asus nForce 2 ultra deluxe mobo (400mhz fsb)
    1024 MB DDR 400 dual channell (corsair @ 2,3,3,7)
    1x 60GB maxtor 7200RPM 2 mb cache
    1x 120GB maxtor 7200RPM 8 mb cache
    2x 200GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8 mb cache SATA in RAID 0
    Geforce 4 ti4200 with VIVO (Leadtek)
    Nec 3500
    Logitech MX 510
    Dualscreen
    (
    17" Hansol crappy monitor 1024@85Hz
    15" Compaq TFT5010 with 3 dead pixels
    )
    Onboard Nvidia SoundStorm Audio
    2 HiFi stereo Amplifiers
    2 75 watt speakers
    2 80 watt speakers
    (4.0 sound that 0wnz all 5.1/6.1/7.1/8.1 sets)
    "play the game, be the game, beat the game"

Thanks

wow...i like your sound setup...wish i had something like that, instead, i have ALi integrated sound Plus 2.1 cyber acoustics 25watt speakers

Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer eMachines
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2591 Mhz
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
    CD+RW LITE-ON LTR-48327S
    DIAMOND S60 64MB DDR RADEON 7000 PCI