View Poll Results: Do you get all of your vitamins & minerals in your diet?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

8 24.24%
  • No.

10 30.30%
  • Don't know.

15 45.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins & Minerals.

Thanks

Default Vitamins & Minerals.

After having worked at a pharmacy/store for about a month and having the names of 1,853 diet supplement products drilled into my brain, I am beginning to wonder if I get all the vitamins and minerals I need to lead a healthy life.

For the past couple of years I've been taking Vitamin C supplements, and for about 2 long years straight, I drank 1 liter of non-fat milk every day. I think I'm still doing well in the calcium and vit. C department, but I'm not sure when it comes to other essentials like the vit. B family, vit. A, Potassium, Iron, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here takes Centrum tablets. Centrum is a popular multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement. Considering the amount of stuff it has, I think they come in huge-ass tablets, but I've never tried it. I'm thinking of ditching my vit. C tablets and going with Centrum, since it's more all-around(and it has %100 of the daily reccomended amount of vit. C. My 1000mg vit. C tablets supposedly have %1665. ).

See the poll. Do you get all the stuff you need in your diet?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well Im not sure if I get all of it... but I do take a vitamin pill every day... so Im going to say yes...

Thanks

I think I get THE MOST OF my vitamins from my diet, but I get them from sunshine too, so I say: No
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    You suck!

Thanks

Oh yeah, completely forgot. Your body develops vit. D with the help of sunlight... I hear that getting sunlight on your palms works best. Not something I do often, but since my bones are intact, I'll say that I'm doing fine with the big D too.

Mikey_ Guest

i doubt i get all the minerals and vitamins i need. i know i get plenty of vitamin C with potato's and oranges and things that have orange in them. i get plenty of calcium with milk....i leave the potassium to bannana's. anything else, i dunno...

Thanks

When I took nutrition my prof said vitamin and mineral supplements are pretty much shit. Because he said that in order for them to be useful you need to get the right balance of foods, and if you get that balance then extra vitamins would be useless.

I probably get most of what I need.

Thanks

Hmm, I never knew potatoes were a source of vitamin C. I always thought it was just a source of carb's(starch). Rep for the interesting comment. You'll probably get more vitamin C from citrus fruits, strawberries, and other fruits with citric acid, though.

Yep, bananas own when it comes to potassium content. It's pretty much the only fruit I actually bother to buy, and when I do(rarely) I eat about 6 per day.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    in order for them to be useful you need to get the right balance of foods, and if you get that balance then extra vitamins would be useless.
    This does not make sense to me... you need to have a balanced diet for it to be useful, but if you already have a balanced diet then it's useless? Oh the paradox.

The majority of people don't have a well balanced diet, especially over here in the U.S. I mean seriously, how many people here strictly follow the food pyramid?
    Last edited by Soeru; 13th-June-2005 at 19:42.

Mikey_ Guest

oh i love fruits, specifically oranges, but most fruits are awesome to me. problem is anything with citric acide gives me heart burn that makes me wanna die instead of dealing with the pain, but that doesn't stop me from eating fruits though lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    This does not make sense to me... you need to have a balanced diet for it to be useful, but if you already have a balanced diet then it's useless? Oh the paradox.
    OK, I believe it has something to do with the carbs and fats and other parts of the food. All of that substance. You need the right amount of all of that in order for vitamins to be useful. But in getting that balance you will necessarily get enough of the right vitamins. If you are using variety, balance, and moderation that is.

So it really was a paradox, leading to vitamins being useless. Except in certain cases where it was recommended, I can't remember the cases though.

Thanks
    EP Points

I wouldn't say I get all the vitamins and minerals I need to be as healthy as I can get, but I do eat/drink things that help me in this... mostly vitamin C, and calcium, maybe others, but I'm not sure. I'm feeling well, and I haven't had any kind of problems that may be related to this, so I guess I'm still not lost...

Mikey_ Guest

hmm. i've been 'lost' before. when i was younger, i'm guessing i didn't get all the V's and M's i needed cuz sometimes i'd be outside, get dizzy and just like, pass out for 2 seconds. was wierd. doesn't happen to me anymore though, oddly enough, since i started taking vitamin supplements. not sure what kind, i didn't even check. my sister got'em for me so i knew they'd help somehow.

Thanks

I need to get meself some Centrum, too... At least my bones are healthy, since I drink plenty of milk, and I always loved oranges, though lately I haven't had my fill in said department...

Thanks

I usually take a multi-vitamin so i think I am ok. I usually eat pretty well too.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks

You shouldn't question if you're getting enough vitamins etc. to be healthy, you should be questioning if you don't get enough that it's unhealthy.

That's my way of covering up the fact I have no idea if I do or not
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

Dont know :O

Atleast I get all the speed my body craves for :~)