Thread: Saturn cracked, accurate emulation finally in view with first emulator

Thanks

Default Saturn cracked, accurate emulation finally in view with first emulator

Mednafen is the first emulator to implement the work taken from the full cracking of the Saturn. https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/12/...ction-cracked/

It will still be in development, but you can already tell that some games that never ran correctly, or at all before, run well on the latest mednafen. In my tests, you need a fast PC to run 3d games at full speed, something like a core i7 3.4GHz.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yabause had already taken full advantage of this, though you do need the CD block dump, that you acquire yourself, this has been there for a little while now, well not long after it was cracked as detailed in the link you gave, if no extra files are needed for Mednafen though that makes it better at least and saves the need to use an actual CD Block dump, kinda wonder if mednafen has used some of the yabause code as a basis it is open source unlike SSF that was closed source anyway.

Not sure what games you are talking about not working or other issues though SSF plays everything I tossed at it [even on low end hardware] (with the exception of two games that require rom carts (not to be confused with ram carts) that as of yet do not have public dumps AFAIK anyway, though can't claim to of tested every single game with it).

Can't fully vouch for Yabause, but it was always aimed at accuracy rather than just getting the games to work though, it also needs a little bit of power to run without lag, SSF can run on lower end hardware vs both of those.

SSF can never be as accurate (development has stopped and they lacked the information that is available now) but it also had no issues that I remember unless the disc image was bad to start with and is still fast so smooth game play even on older hardware

Personally I'm waiting for the back port (video card) mod for real hardware to be put on sale, either to use SD or USB, the latter is more preferable, though you can get SD cards up to 512GB not sure about 1TB yet (USB HDD (not talking about flash drives that amount to the same as an SD card anyway as both are flash chips) USB is much cheaper still though when you are talking about the higher storage)... So hope it gets polished up soon
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-August-2016 at 16:30.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

No. You are wrong, unless we're talking about some git version, or something. You can't vouch for Yabuse, but isn't that exactly what you're doing in your first sentence? You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Yabuse never ran accurately any game that I threw at it, even something as simple as Asuka 120% or Clockwork Knight 2 were riddled with obvious bugs. And it was dog slow. Mednafen runs these as well as it runs Playstation, which is also one of the most accurate ps1 emulation. The Saturn emulation is just slower, but I am able to run many 2d games in full speed on a core2. Mednafen is the first emulator to do this with Saturn. Some games still do not run, such as Clockwork Knight 1, but I'm not sure if it's emulation issues or a bad cue/bin rip (I made a request for this game).
    Last edited by Nick Naim; 30th-August-2016 at 01:31.

Thanks

Mednafen's Saturn emulation and the CD drive cracking have nothing to do with each other, no code from Yabause was used, ROM cart dumps for the two games are publicly floating around on the Internet, and Clockwork Knight 1 works if using a good dump.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mednafen View Post
    Mednafen's Saturn emulation and the CD drive cracking have nothing to do with each other,
    Not the drive. The copy-protection. The cracking of this by Dr. Abrasive led to more accurate emulation, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Naim View Post
    Not the drive. The copy-protection. The cracking of this by Dr. Abrasive led to more accurate emulation, right?
    Not in Mednafen.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mednafen View Post
    Not in Mednafen.
    Just Yabause that I never said was a perfect emulator by the way, I don't really use it, just tested a few things out with it, accuracy does not equal perfect game play or fast game play until they perfect things like with any emulator aimed at accurate emulation... just look at MAME that is the most well known emulator to aim at accurate emulation

SSF is still the fastest out there and just works, the problem is there is no direct CD image loading with it so if you want to use disc images you have to mess on with virtual CD drives
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-August-2016 at 03:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR