Thread: epsxe won't work on windows 8.1 PC

Thanks

Default epsxe won't work on windows 8.1 PC

So I started using epsxe on my laptop. Everything works fine. I download all the necessary things for epsxe (epsxe, BIOS files, plugins, isos, etc.) onto my PC, yet whenever I try and run an ISO is says that windows has stopped working and everything crashes and closes. I have no idea why it works on my windows 7 laptop, but not windows 8.1 PC. Any suggestions?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try using the software plugin for video and try again it could just be that the currently setup video driver is not supported

On a side note Windows 7 is a much more reliable OS than 8

it's like comparing Windows ME with 2K or XP

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

How do you do Software? I have Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0, Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9, and ePSXe GPU core 2.0.0. where I go to configure the video plugins I can only configure the Main Video Plugin not the Soft Video Plugin.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Get P.E.Op.S. Soft GPU (Windows) from http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

Once setup run the bios instead of a CD drive/CD image for testing purposes, that will ensure there are no issues with the disc/disc image used or even disc drive

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I got the soft plugin. I configured it and tested the plugin and it says that it is working correctly. I run the BIOS, but it still says that it has stopped working and crashes.

EDIT: I looked more on the internet and someone said to put CPU overclocking to 1x. I did that and it seems to work alright. It doesn't crash. Is overclocking going to ruin hurt the computer at all?
    Last edited by Bronan123; 25th-August-2016 at 18:40.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

1x sounds like 100% speed, which is normal. I could be wrong about that because I don't mess with overclocking because Heat.

You should get a monitor like Coretemp to watch that. Too much heat will damage your CPU by very small amounts, which add up over time. There are failsafes built in so your computer should shut down before anything serious happens, and any app that would do that simply will run like a slideshow or not launch rather than starting a fire. Part of that failsafe is the heat sink on your CPU(looks like a block of metal fins/blades with a fan attached).

Which is to say your computer is always going to be hot, fans are going to run to keep it from overheating, and your system is set up to run at a given temperature based on that heat sink and fan. If you plan to overclock above 1x or 100% you should do some research into new cooling systems and whether you will need a new power supply unit to run them.

Also, you should make sure that you did not install ePSXe in a Program Files folder as that will cause problems since read/write permissions are restricted there, and as always, right click and Run as Administrator to start your ePSXe.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.