Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GameShark CDX Version 3.4 (USA) (Unl) (PSX) Concerns

Hybrid View

Thanks
    EP Points

Default GameShark CDX Version 3.4 (USA) (Unl) (PSX) Concerns

The ISO I downloaded was a GameShark disc for the PS1 called GameShark CDX Version 3.4. I stick it into PSXFin, and the "game" gets loaded. I go through the thing with the PS logo, then the echo that you hear when after a sound is heard disappears, my PS logo thing turns me to a black screen. I sit there for a few seconds. After that I decided to close PSXFin because I am getting stressed with GameShark not booting, but before I even did that, I heard a old-sounding woman say "When you wanna tip the scales", before I closed the console down, after hearing the sound.

Has anybody else tried this disc before and got this same experience? I just wanna activate my cheats and fiddle around in my game.

UPDATE: Just tried the GameShark ISO again. I sat there for the same duration as when I first tried playing it and no voice this time. I had my Mozilla open. It wasn't an advert, because when I went to shut off PSXFin, it paused.
    Last edited by The Researcher; 10th-August-2016 at 21:31.
    SIG REMOVED - READ THE RULES

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have you tried again and let it run longer?
    If you can't get that working, consider switching emulators. ePSXe has PEC (PS Emulator Cheater) plugin, and retroarch has a built in cheat function.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Have you tried again and let it run longer?
    If you can't get that working, consider switching emulators. ePSXe has PEC (PS Emulator Cheater) plugin, and retroarch has a built in cheat function.
    No, I haven't tried letting it run longer. Should I?

I would use ePSXe, but that emulator is specific about EVERYTHING whenever I use it. I was actually going to try using PCSX1, but because PCSX doesn't show me my drivers and processors during setup, I had to move to PSXFin, which also has another problem of it's own. Certain sounds cutoff after a while. For example, when you're playing a game like Driver, the sound of the car will cutoff after the engine has been roaring for sometime, but this only happens to the car that's been driven by the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Gameshark gives emulators problems, use Codebreaker 3.0, BTW PSXfin is beyond dead and will give nonstop problems.

You want to use RetroArch with the Mednafen PSX core as that is a million times better BUT the built in cheats I don't believe have been hooked yet to that core so you can use Codebreaker 3.0 and do it that way instead.

Its not hard at all and works like a charm.

RetroArch doesn't sound like it's for Windows though, and even if it were, I cannot trust where I have to download it.

By the way, I have another thing to mention. When I tried running the same GameShark CD on my emulator, I forgot to mention I first tried the .BIN version first, this one removed the echo, but locked me to the PlayStation logo. I sat there for the same amount of time, no voice. Tried the .cue file of the same game, black screen, and a voice.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Gameshark gives emulators problems, use Codebreaker 3.0, BTW PSXfin is beyond dead and will give nonstop problems.

You want to use RetroArch with the Mednafen PSX core as that is a million times better BUT the built in cheats I don't believe have been hooked yet to that core so you can use Codebreaker 3.0 and do it that way instead.

Its not hard at all and works like a charm.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What about the other PS core in Retroarch? I think it was called Beetle. Do the cheats work there?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    What about the other PS core in Retroarch? I think it was called Beetle. Do the cheats work there?
    Beetle is the RetroArch term for Mednafen PSX since the PSX core in RA has been modified and enhanced so much its not really Mednafen anymore and is its own thing.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Every emulator will have problems, if you want a correct experience (slowdowns and anything else) you need to play on the actual hardware.

Warrior wouldn't be suggesting RetroArch if it wasn't available for Windows.

He'll also correct me if these links are wrong but, they should be correct:
    http://www.libretro.com/
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.6/
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Researcher
    and even if it were, I cannot trust where I have to download it.
    My point is that I don't know what any of those sites are and I don't know if they have viruses or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Oak View Post
    if you want a correct experience (slowdowns and anything else) you need to play on the actual hardware.
    You mean play on a real PS1?

EDIT: I have put something on the OP.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Researcher View Post
    RetroArch doesn't sound like it's for Windows though, and even if it were, I cannot trust where I have to download it.
    If you can't trust Open Source Software yet trust closed source baloney like epsxe and psxfin you got issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    Every emulator will have problems, if you want a correct experience (slowdowns and anything else) you need to play on the actual hardware.

He'll also correct me if these links are wrong but, they should be correct:
    http://www.libretro.com/
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.6/
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/
    Mednafen vanilla and the Mednafen Core in RetroArch are the most accurate emulators regarding PSX emulation, epsx and pSXfin are nowhere close to the accuracy that Mednafen provides.

Shar aka Gary is correct in those links, that is the official repository for RetroArch and is 100% safe but you may want the Nightly and not the Stable but thats really a personal choice.

My point is that I don't know what any of those sites are and I don't know if they have viruses or not.
    If you wanted to learn what the official sites are for anything emulation all you had to do was ask here, I am the resident Emulation Enthusiast and I tend to keep up with news regarding anything emulation.
    Last edited by Warrior; 10th-August-2016 at 21:59.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    If you can't trust Open Source Software yet trust closed source baloney like epsxe and psxfin you got issues.
    Real funny, coming from somebody who didn't tell me it was open source, and instead decided to be an asshole about it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Real funny, coming from somebody who didn't tell me it was open source, and instead decided to be an asshole about it.
    You contradicted yourself above with the epsxe/psxfin and the distrust of the libretro link, sorry if you took offense to that.

If you want the lowdown with RetroArch il teach you what I know, what CPU do you have BTW?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You mean play on a real PS1?

EDIT: I have put something on the OP.
    Yes, a real PS1.

No one is likely to link you to a virus purposely and they'd surely be banned if they did.

At Warrior:
    Let's not bring your closed source is pure evil shenanigans into this, if you'd please .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Start > Settings > System > About

Yep, the evil that is Windows 10 doesn't let you know what CPU you have.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I guess try the stable build instead of the nightly, I never heard of that dll and a search pulled up 0 results.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I guess try the stable build instead of the nightly, I never heard of that dll and a search pulled up 0 results.
    I'll try that next time I feel like playing a PS1 game.