Thread: FFV Anthology: can't load/save on latest epsxe versions

Thanks

Default FFV Anthology: can't load/save on latest epsxe versions

Hi everyone! I've been using the site for years and I have always loved it and although I made an account years ago, this is the first time I have felt the need to post something in the forums.

You see, today, I felt compelled to continue my playthrough of Final Fantasy V (the Anthology version of course) so I launch epsxe 2.0.2 and it launches perfectly fine, I go to load my latest save and something weird happens: it kind of gets stuck there for a couple seconds, then it plays the buzzer-like sound you hear in the game when trying to access something you can't, it doesn't load, doesn't even show the "Start with this data?" screen and I am sent back to the previous menu. Oddly enough, if I press O to cancel, the same thing happens (i.e., it doesn't just cancel).

Everything else works fine so just to check, I start a new game to try creating a new save file and the same thing happens when I try to save. I actually got worried that my memory card file got corrupted so I tried with other games and it worked fine with everything else I tried.

Next, since I know for some reason some games tend to run better on older versions of epsxe, I try using version 1.9.25 and... everything works fine there! I can save, load, everything works perfect. I noticed that on that version of epsxe, I had the P.E.Op.S Soft Driver 1.18 selected so I try using it on the 2.0.2 version but nope, that didn't work either.

So that's an oddly specific issue. It only seems to affect Final Fantasy V, and only on the latest versions of epsxe (I did try version 2.0.5 to make sure and the same thing happened). I was curious if it's a known issue and how to fix it. It's not a huge issue since I can at least play the game now but it'd be more convenient to be able to play all my games on the same version of the emulator.
    Last edited by SsnakeBite; 10th-August-2016 at 06:56.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It seems like this wouldn't be an issue if your other games are able to save, but have you tried Run as administrator? This setting makes sure that programs have access to change files.

Also, did you make sure to install your emulator outside of Program Files? This is known to cause problems with access/saving.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    It seems like this wouldn't be an issue if your other games are able to save, but have you tried Run as administrator? This setting makes sure that programs have access to change files.

Also, did you make sure to install your emulator outside of Program Files? This is known to cause problems with access/saving.
    Yeah, it's installed in a special folder outside of Program Files. Didn't think of running it as an administrator, though. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: I just tried and it didn't work either. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!
    Last edited by SsnakeBite; 9th-August-2016 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In that case you may want to spend some time on Google and see if you can emulate it on PSP or any later console. The other alternative is to find a translated version, since it was a Japanese Super Famicom game, it should be available for SNES emulators.

Here's a link to the SNES version.

It just occurred to me to ask if your memory card is full when you try to save FFV. If it is try saving on slot 2 or making a new memory card. Making a new card is simple. Open ePSXe, click the Config menu, click Memory cards, and where it says epsxe000.mcr change epsxe000 to whatever you want. As long as it ends with .mcr it should be fine.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 9th-August-2016 at 18:31.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you wish I can help you set up RetroArch and use the Mednafen PSX core which is the best PSX emulator, beats the pants off of epsxe and will run Final Fantasy just like the real hardware (all the fun enhancements too).

You can transfer your .mcr files to RetroArch so you won't have to start all over but sometimes a memory card conversion may not work, I have done it plenty of times with pSX and epsxe though.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

It just occurred to .25me to ask if your memory card is full when you try to save FFV. If it is try saving on slot 2 or making a new memory card. Making a new card is simple. Open ePSXe, click the Config menu, click Memory cards, and where it says epsxe000.mcr change epsxe000 to whatever you want. As long as it ends with .mcr it should be fine.
    It's not full. It shows that there are several free blocks and I don't get an error message about not having enough space. It just hangs there for a couple seconds and gives me the "buzz" sound. And again, it works just fine on version 1.9.25 of the emulator.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah, you're using one of the 2.x versions. In that case it's probably the emulator. The Dev team is aware that there are bugs in these newer releases, so please head over to their forums and report this issue there so they can work on it.

Is there a reason you don't want to use 1.9.25? I haven't bothered to update mine since I know there are bugs in 2.x, and the older version works fine for me.

Thanks

Is there a reason you don't want to use 1.9.25? I haven't bothered to update mine since I know there are bugs in 2.x, and the older version works fine for me.
    There are some options in those that I really like such as Xinput and the ability to automatically create a new memory card for each game, which is the only way I can get the rumble on my controller to work and also for some reason some of the buttons don't seem to work.

I also remember trying to play Final Fantasy VIII on 1.7 and 1.8 and it just straight-up didn't work, which is weird since I remember using these version to play it back in the days so I don't know if it's a compatibility problem with Windows 10 or something. I actually hadn't tried 1.9.25 until I ran into the FFV save problem.

There are also smaller details like screenshots working better (and since I recently did a written Let's Play, it was very important to me).

So yeah. Like I said, it's not a huge deal, it just would be more convenient to me.