Thread: Downloading large files

Thanks

Default Downloading large files

Having a bit of an issue with downloading larger files from the site.

I haven't determined the exact minimum size to cause this issue, but it currently seems to be anything over 500MB.

It seems to download it all, but gets stuck on the last second. It stays there for several minutes, and then says the download failed.

I am using Firefox (64 bit) on Windows 10 Home. But I have also tried it with Microsoft Edge. I can attempt with other browsers if necessary, though I would have to download them, so I would appreciate suggestions regarding which to use.

Specific games I have found this issue on are
    Digimon World: Data Squad (PS2)
    Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (PS2 and GC)
    Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (PS2)

I will attempt to download others that I've wanted to try of various sizes to see if I can pin down the problem.

Thanks
    EP Points

Windows 10? Oh boy... Windows 10 isn't too... emulator friendly. I tried running The Warriors on PS2 4 times in my emulator and it stopped working. I thought it had something to do with Windows 10.

But anyways, back to your situation, I wouldn't use Microsoft Edge. That pile of crap just doesn't work. It's like Internet Explorer.

It may also have to do with your internet. Whether it's ethernet cables or Wi-Fi, you probably don't have enough internet power. Big downloads do take up a lot of bytes.
    SIG REMOVED - READ THE RULES

Thanks

As stated, I normally use Firefox, but attempted to use Edge as a test since it is the only other browser currently installed.

I have determined that the problem is not in the PS2 and gamecube sections, and does in fact appear to be files greater than 500MB.
    Last edited by vanyelxp5; 21st-July-2016 at 18:50.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Try switching to ftp in download options. You can also manually select server options (EU or NA).
    Other than that you could try using a download manager.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I made another attempt to use the FTP settings with the NA server manually selected, this failed as well.

Also attempted to use one of the FTP managers suggested in the download guide, this not only doesn't work as shown in said guide, but also failed.

Is there a more up to date guide to using these kinds of programs or download managers?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Did you try using Free Download Manager?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

No, because nothing says how to do so.

Clicking the link causes it to be downloaded in Firefox (which isn't working)

Copy/pasting the link into FDM blocks the attempt because it wasn't accessed directly from the site.

I'm trying one last idea to use it, which is attempting the download via HTTP and copying the link from my download area. This method didn't work with the FTP download link, but it at least started with the HTTP. Will post an update if it works.

Edit:

Copying the download link from my browser after starting the download (and then cancelling it in the browser) seems to have worked. Now to attempt to play the game.
    Last edited by vanyelxp5; 21st-July-2016 at 20:05.

Thanks
    EP Points

well, you used to be able to use the flashget download manager (just take the 's' off the https in the links as it doesn't support https links) but the download link for one that was here no longer works so i dunno.

not sure what this "Free Download Manager" program is but i'll check it out. i know, neither orbit download manager nor jdownloader work with the download links here. thus, i too can no longer download larger games here.

hmmm...i'll try it out later and see if it works.

edit: nope, no good. it says the downloaded file would be invalid_referer.php.html. any other suggestions? and that's using the http AND ftp options for the download link. i tested with http://www.emuparadise.me/PSP_ISOs/Z...n_(USA)/158651
    Last edited by treos; 24th-July-2016 at 06:51.