Thread: [PS1] Can't get MM3 modchip on PIC12f629 to work!

Thanks

Red face [PS1] Can't get MM3 modchip on PIC12f629 to work!

Hello all,

I know this is old tech, and I know there are plenty of other tutorials and walk-through's out there, and I believe to have tried them all. Posting this is truly a last resort! I am having trouble getting my modchip to work on my PSX. I have a PSX SCPH-9001 model, and I have the PIC12F629 series PIC chip. I have burnt the 12F629 MM3 code to the chip using a "mini pro" TL866CS programmer, said device has never had problems burning a chip, and the chip is listed as compatible with this programmer. I am installing onto a PU-23 style board, and have tried the alternate pin 1 location near the bottom of the board. I have installed it following the many picture schematics available on the web. I don't know where else to turn or what else to try, so if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it!

Here are the symptoms, or more correctly, lack of symptoms. It only boots original game discs. It reads back-ups as an audio CD. I am able to play the game tracks as if you were to have inserted a standard music disc. My system is a US NTSC console. I do not want to play games from other regions, I just want to play my back-ups, that is all. I have installed the chip using 30awg kynar wire, with the exception of the power and ground pins, which are 18awg stranded copper wire. I have attached photos of my install for reference and observation.

I really appreciate any time taken to review my problem, and am truly grateful for anyone who is able to lend a helping hand!

Thanks!

5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Thanks
    EP Points

I also have installed a PIC12F629 MM3 in my PSX, however I did use a slightly different point for pin 6. I think it should be the same, but I've used the right point on the "CL 704" resistor as shown in the diagram below. You could try that, and if it fails, maybe take a multimeter and measure (with the power on) if the PIC has power.
    Hope it helps!

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I did what you suggested, and moved the pin 6 to CL704 on the board. I also measured 4.96 Vdc at the chip, so I know it's getting power. I still, however, am not able to boot backups. I am pretty convinced that I must be burning them wrong. Is there a special procedure to use to burn them? I am using ImgBurn on the slowest setting (8x) with standard CD-R's. Is there some kind of preparation step the CD image has to go through before burning, or possibly a special option inside of ImgBurn itself that I am overlooking? I really appreciate all the help!

EDIT: I just successfully loaded the backup's I made with the swap trick. What could this mean?

EDIT: I decided to try another chip, as I ordered a few just in case it didn't work out the first time. Still didn't work. I installed a DIP socket, verified the playstation was working, programmed a brand new chip, and stuck it in the socket. I am still not able to read back-ups. I guess all I can do is try different media, but the only thing that bothers me is the fact that I can read the back-ups with the swap trick and not with the chip! I don't even know what to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT

Ok, I fixed it, and this is how:

I switched to Mayumi v4. I have no idea what was wrong, but my system just didn't like MM3. I programmed the Mayumi chip, added the pin 2 wire, and it just worked.

Thanks to toxic for rendering the advise that he did, I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Zorlon; 27th-July-2016 at 03:04.