Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horribly Over rated movies.......

eVoLeno Guest

Default Horribly Over rated movies.......

Is it just me, or do the rest of you tear your hair out at the mention of films that are utterly crap, but people have got it into their head are fantasticly amazing.
    ie.
    The Matrix. Plagerised crap, crappy pretty much everything, uses the gimick of bullet time to pull it through on 'cool factor'

Lord Of The Rings. Everyone thinks they are brilliant becuase of the cult book following. Really watch the films, especially the first one, inconsistant atmosphere, poor (cringeworthy) jokes, pitiful characterisation etc... again, uses the rather breath taking looks of it to pull it through (and the books following). Peter Jackson should go back to his excellent roots

Deer Hunter : Gawdawful editing, Michel Cimino should be shot for this one. an hour of wedding, 5mins of nam, 15mins in pow bit, then back home. The man has no feeling for pace.

Fan boys for each of these really annoy the heck out of me, they will argue all night about the deapth and wonder of them, when they are all catpiss with some nice moments. Any other films like this that should be added to an uber list?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Actually, Lord of the Rings is quite well done; every movie has inconsistent atmosphere, and the jokes are what they are meant to be. They didn't make it as a new movie, they made it as a Lord of the Rings movie. If you don't like Lord of the Rings, you may not like the movie. It's basically the same jokes they use in the books as they use in the film. In fact, most of the dialogue is right from the books.

The Matrix, sure, it wasn't a masterpiece in terms of storyline and whatnot, but bullet-time was a new effect that's well worth the money spent in seeing it.

Never heard of Deer Hunter.

Thanks

Harry Potter. I'm not saying that just because I don't like HP, but the movies are lame. I could name a lot of examples, but I'm too lazy right now.
    "Traveler"
    Case: Bitfenix Prodigy
    CPU: Devil's Canyon i5 @ 4.0GHz
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2400MHz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 660ti
    Mobo: ASRock Z97E-ITX
    Drive: Trend Micro 128GB SSD

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd agree with Harry Potter, I think LOTR is overrated but only because it is ranked as one of the best films of all time and the Matrix is one of the best Sci-fi films for a good few years...

But the Deer Hunter? How on Earth is that overrated? It's an excellent film with some quite tremendous performances... I'm not a fanboy of this one, it's not one of my favourites, but it is not overrated...

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Harry Potter, LOTR and the Matrix are all overratede IMO. I just don't think they are as good as people says...

Thanks

I think with the Deer Hunter, you are getting the terms bad and overrated mixed up. I don't know who the hell over rates it. I thought it was ok by the way, anyway...

Fast And The Fucking Furious, or pretty much any movie in which the main focus is how good the cars are...

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Johnny Wonderpants
    I think with the Deer Hunter, you are getting the terms bad and overrated mixed up. I don't know who the hell over rates it. I thought it was ok by the way, anyway...

Fast And The Fucking Furious, or pretty much any movie in which the main focus is how good the cars are...
    I'd agree the Fast and the Furious is a pile of ****e, but most people I know see it as such...

Scary Movie, not by the critics, but by people... I know people who say they're the funniest movies ever made, yet imo they're both packs of immature jokes that are only funny for about the first 10 minutes...at most.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by -Rei-
    Scary Movie, not by the critics, but by people... I know people who say they're the funniest movies ever made, yet imo they're both packs of immature jokes that are only funny for about the first 10 minutes...at most.
    Yup, the first 10 minutes when Carmen Electra is on camera!

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by crusher
    Yup, the first 10 minutes when Carmen Electra is on camera!
    Hehe, fair point But I prefer Neve Campbell anyway, she's a lot less fake

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Re: Horribly Over rated movies.......

Originally posted by eVoLeno
    Fan boys for each of these really annoy the heck out of me, they will argue all night about the deapth and wonder of them, when they are all catpiss with some nice moments. Any other films like this that should be added to an uber list?
    Wow. Do you realize just how much of an ass you're sounding here? So you dislike those flicks. More power to ya. But much in the way you are able to excersise the right NOT to like them, you have to be a little less hypocritical and perhaps allow others thier right to like them, should that be thier choice. Labeling someone who likes those films a fanboy is just idiotic, given the fact that it IS INDEED thier choice. Call it bad taste if you must, but don't call em fanboys....:\

Thanks

Scary mOvie and Harry Potter. maybe the matrix reloaded
    _______________________________ ____________________

eVoLeno Guest

Originally posted by Johnny Wonderpants
    Its considered a must see classic. I mean, yes, it has some brilliant scenes, some well acted emotive bits, but all over, its really quite poor.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's great. We've already established that you don't like them.....:\ I thought it was a stroke of genius when you called The Matrix "Plaguerized Crap". I guess you've forgotten that almost every story today draws inspiration from other sources. There's hardly a completely original story to be found these days. Sure it's sad, but The Matrix is no more quilty of being a rippoff then most everything else out there....
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 13th-June-2003 at 20:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

I was trying to say much the same thing... To be quite honest, near everything has been 'done' in some respect now, 'Donnie Darko', for example, hailed by most as an utterly original work, bears several resemblances to classic film 'Harvey'.. It's not about doing something that is wholly and utterly original, it's about drawing upon what's already been done, taking inspiration, and adding your own flair and ideas to create something that is interesting and captivating to watch...

Thanks

Hmmmm...

Blade - its not as awesome as everyone says it is...Harry Potter films, but then again I was never a fan of the books. I really didn't enjoy Titanic. Ummm I'm sure theres more.....give me time...