Thread: Can't load a save file on VBA

Thanks

Default Can't load a save file on VBA

Hello everyone! I apologize for the length of this thread, and I appreciate everyone's patience in advanced. I know there have been many threads on this topic before, but just can't find a thread that addresses my specific problem. I'm not extremely computer smart, but I guess knowledgeable enough to get me by. So if something doesn't make sense, just let me know and I'll try to better explain it.

So I started playing an emulator for the first time in a loooonnnngggg time a week ago. It's actually been quite a few years since I've played any emulators because I just simply haven't had time. But I just got the itch to play Pokemon, to take my back to my childhood. lol. I played Pokemon Emerald on No$GBA 2.6a, and beat the main story line. I originally started looking into other emulators simply because of the "fog" issue with No$GBA in Emerald as well as wanting to do a bit of trading within the emulator windows to obtain all the Pokemon and experiment with the "cheat" function within the emulator (which the cheat function of No$GBA sucks and most of the codes I could find wont work in No$GBA), and according to a number of people, VBA is the emulator to use. So I downloaded VBA 1.8.0-511 and booted up Pokemon Emerald in VBA 1.8.0 and tried to load my save from No$GBA. It wouldn't work. So I did a little more reading, and read that the save protocol between the 2 emulators are different. So i researched how to change the No$GBA save file to work with VBA. I followed a thread I discovered which took me through converting the save file which included going into the No$GBA.INI file and changing the save type from compressed to RAW. Then I went back into No$GBA, saved my progress in Emerald under the new save protocol, and there we had it.

So I moved everything into the same folder (VBA 1.8.0, the rom, and the .SAV file), and started VBA 1.8.0, booted Emerald, but my save file wasn't coming up. so i went to File>Import>Battery>mysavefile.SAV and it pops up with "Importing a snapshot file will erase any saved games and reset the emulator. Do you want to coninue?" I clicked OK. But then an error pops up that says "Cannot open File c:/.........mysavefile.SAV." So I try the File>Load>mysavefile.SAV and it gives me an error "Unsupported VisualBoyAdvance save game version 1633906510. After that I started a new game and saved from the new game to see what this VBA save file would look like. I noticed that all the extensions from the save file on VBA 1.8.0 are .sa1, 2, 3, ... etc. depending on how many windows I have open. So I decided to change the extension of the .SAV file to .sa3 (because I already had a .sa1, and .sa2 from previous experimenting), and tried to load the .sa3 file from No$GBA and it's still not loading. It gives me the same errors I get when I tried loading as a .SAV.

Can anyone help me figure this issue out? The last thing I want to do is completely start over using VBA.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm not reading all that so if you want to simplify your post please do so

Anyway I know Pokemon has issues with VBA with detecting the correct save size and other settings, so best to grab VBA-Over.ini

http://www.emuparadise.me/links-and-...vba-over.ini/5

Make sure the emu is not running
    Delete all saves (for games that do not detect correctly) or move them out of the VBA pathage
    make sure vba-over.ini is in the same folder and vba.ini
    run the emu set it up as described in the link

Once everything is as it should then try running the game and importing the save and fingers crossed it should work

P.S. this does need to be a battery save not a save state

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR