Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for a Dreamcast in 2016?

Thanks

Default How much would you pay for a Dreamcast in 2016?

So I've been wanting to get a Dreamcast for a while now, and it seems now I gonna go for it. However, I don't want to be ripped off, and looking on sites like eBay the variation on price seems to be pretty drastic. I'm just curious to what you would see as a reasonable price for a basic Dreamcast setup. I'm from the UK, so I will be buying a PAL system.

Also if anyone has any underrated gems they want to recommend please go ahead, i'm interested to see what gems are in the Dreamcast library.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Probably not more than $40. Speaking as someone with a good number of DC games, the better known games (SA, Skies, Shenmue) are the best.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah $35-40 tops probably.

As far as gems go, most of the library is pretty well known at this point I think. Loads of good titles though. The ones Gary mentioned and their sequels (if applicable) are all good. The system has a lot of good fighter ports as well. Some good shooters like Ikaruga, Gigawing 1-2, Mars Matrix, Psyvariar 2, Triggerheart Exelica etc... Other good titles worth mentioning would be Bangai O, Jet Grind/Set Radio, Crazy Taxi and Elemental Gimmick Gear. Napple Tale is a neat hidden gem. Fun 2.5D platformer. A bit pricey though, so unless you are collecting I'd say play it via burned disc. Too many good games to list them all really.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

DC consoles aren't common in Australia so they tend to fetch high prices, if you see them for sale they will have some games and a bunch of peripherals. Cheapest option is to buy from a Japanese ebay seller, which would be $30-50 for a bare console depending on the condition of the case. Plenty of Japanese sellers will ship here for free or very little extra money.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Evolution is an example of a terrible game (and series) on the system.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawliet View Post
    So I've been wanting to get a Dreamcast for a while now, and it seems now I gonna go for it. However, I don't want to be ripped off, and looking on sites like eBay the variation on price seems to be pretty drastic. I'm just curious to what you would see as a reasonable price for a basic Dreamcast setup. I'm from the UK, so I will be buying a PAL system.

Also if anyone has any underrated gems they want to recommend please go ahead, i'm interested to see what gems are in the Dreamcast library.
    I bought a used Dreamcast (in 2016) with controller, memory pak and 1 game for 10 bucks. No way I'd spend near what other people are suggesting. I loved my Dreamcast back in the day (got one at launch) but really, unless you're collecting consoles and just gotta have a pristine condition Dreamcast, I don't think it's worthwhile to invest more than the 10. Good games are sparse and the only thing it really had going for it was it's online capability. (Which is, of course no longer a thing. It went from 'launch' to 'dead system' pretty quickly.)

As far as games, as for me-- Quake Arena and Samba de Amigo I enjoyed very much.
    Last edited by KAWAiiMrMonster; 18th-July-2016 at 00:44.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There are always emulators for them to see how many games they like and if they think it's worth paying more or less. I suggested a maximum .
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 18th-July-2016 at 01:01.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I thought we were talking about market value. Clearly one would want to pay as little as possible.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Freshwater View Post
    I thought we were talking about market value. Clearly one would want to pay as little as possible.
    As I said, domestic market value here is stupid. Best option is to import from Japan, which would bring the cost down closer to what Americans would pay domestically.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Оak View Post
    There are always emulators for them to see how many games they like and if they think it's worth paying more or less. I suggested a maximum .
    Saying I wouldn't pay what some others suggested was not a personal attack on you, Gary Oak.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I didn't take it as such.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by KAWAiiMrMonster View Post
    Saying I wouldn't pay what some others suggested was not a personal attack on you, Gary Oak.
    Send me what you have and you don't have to pay me anything.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    As I said, domestic market value here is stupid. Best option is to import from Japan, which would bring the cost down closer to what Americans would pay domestically.
    Yeah fortunately here (US) it's still cheaper to source them locally than it is to import from Japan. That's the case for most systems, with the PC Engine being notable exception. It cost me half of a US Turbo to get a Core Grafx modded with a region switch. And let's not even talk about the price of a US CD system or 3.0 system card.

Thanks
    EP Points

Importing (shipping cost) from Japan is extremely cheap here, or free in a lot of cases.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Freshwater View Post
    He didn't ask for market value. He asked for what we thought was a 'reasonable' price to pay for a basic setup.

I gave him my honest opinion. Anything over 1o bucks is too much. UNLESS you are a collector and want a pristine condition or Japanese version. Obviously he isn't gonna get that for $10.

It goes without saying that we wanna pay as little as possible for whatever we buy so I'm not sure why you would passive/aggressively point that out. My reply to OP was quite a bit more substantial than "cheap as possible". smh.