Thread: Help with burning saturn games on a CD-R

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Help with burning saturn games on a CD-R

So, I just recently got a saturn, and got the mod for Disc Swap to work, and now I wanna play the Shining Force 3 Scanerios. So, because I don't have a official copy, I resorted to the ISOZone for downloading the translated ISOs. So, the ones I got are actually in ISO+BIN+CUE, so apparently IMGBurn doesn't like using it.
    So, my question is: Is there any way to burn those CDs with IMGBurn? I tried it once, so I might need some help with it. If you need to know, the download I had was Shining Force III (ENG V17) All Scenarios + Premium Disc. I'm not going to post the link, cause I think that'll sorta get me in trouble.

Also, yes, I have CD-Rs, have tested the Saturn with Street Fighter Alpha 3, which isn't playable due to the fact I don't have a 4MB Cart.

Now that you have reached the end of this post, why not listen to a story?

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation

i'll be the first to admit, tech stuff like that drives me nuts, gets smashed up, and relief is sure to follow.
    hey, i know ny own ways to blow off steam, we all have out ways to cope and deals.
    try discjuggler or poweriso.
    caveat:
    i'm not currently pissing about with my saturn til i can get on ODE (rhea) for it, that and a 1/4m eeprom card for saves.
    i can't offer any tried advice, as i haven't done it.
    do feel for ya though, coz i don't see why there's competition, but rules are dictators.
    can't question that, but it sure as won't stop me from pointing out it's sheer absurdity. (plus, http man, wtf?! are we welfare dependent on singular sources that are KNOWN to be bad.)
    did you get the atreyu187 imgburn package from the disk zone?
    one thing to try, is mount the saturn game image via virtual drive (daemontools for one) and convert it via cloneCD as a TRUE imgburn capable image.
    but, try other disk writing programs before attempting image conversions.
    oh, look at atreyu187's profile for his uploads, possibly a few useful related apps there.
    one of a few sega buffs i trust outside clique groups.
    apologies if this is no help.
    regardless, all the best on a resolution.
    [edit]
    keys.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-July-2016 at 03:02. Reason: Language clean up

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You have a number of options though not sure why ImgBurn would just not work for those from the cue sheet of why they are in Iso+Bin+Cue format

You can convert that though with a single program called ISObuster

https://www.isobuster.com/ (You only need the free version for this)
    • download and install ISObuster
    • Run ISO buster
    • Hit File then Open Image File
    • Select the cue file (or ccd file)
    • This should now show a list of tracks on the left
    • Hit File then CD then Extract CD <Image> then RAW (*.bin *.iso)
    • Change the Save Type from *.iso to *.bin
    • In the File Name: text box, rename the output file (do not forget to change .iso to .bin on the end of it)
    • Change the destination folder if you like then hit Save
    • After this has completed you will then be asked to save a cue file, just hit Save

P.S. http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?103339 may be of interest to you

P.P.S. Moved to everything Console as you are not emulating on a PC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-July-2016 at 03:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I still honestly have to work and get my Saturn a new battery, but sorta stripped on cash, so not now. All I'm gonna do is play some simple games like Twinkle Star Sprites before I give Shining Force 3 another go.
    Anyway, thanks for the help, Zorlon. I'll see what I can do with that.

Surprisingly, I was able to burn Scenario 1 correctly and it seems to work absolutely fine. I haven't tested it, but it is the correct size. I guess it's specifically the Premium Disc.
    I still have yet to get a battery, but I will VERY soon. Anything else, I think I can do myself.
    Another game I had problems with was Twinkle Star Sprites, but despite getting over 30,000 miscompares, I'm still able to play it. It's strange. So, I guess any miscompare errors I will ignore.
    We can probably close this thread now. Thanks for everyone's help, or not help, due to the fact I fixed it myself. I don't know.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-July-2016 at 02:47.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah the Verify Burn thing

It could be a few things but if the image was patched to US from JP and the sector fields are not corrected this can cause problems with some games mind, it is best to correct this before you commit to burning
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-July-2016 at 02:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I did check the ISO, and it was multi-region, so it should work with my JP Saturn. If not, well, I know what the problem would be, and I can easily fix it.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah the region was hacked and the sectors had not been corrected hence the amount of miscompares

Easy enough to fix though

open the modified bin with CD-Mage

Scan then use the Rebuild sector fields option and close the prog

You can get CD-Mage from here

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

So, got a battery, put it in my Saturn, and tried Shining Force 3. The first time didn't work, the second time played and ran fine, but all subsequent tries failed.
    It shows the black SEGA screen for a little bit, then goes back to the main menu to try and read the disc as a audio disc.
    I assumed it was because it was multi-region and had a problem reading, but I then region patched the ISO to be only Japanese and re-burned, but it still doesn't work.
    I don't know the problem, but I was really liking the start of it too. It's a bummer that this doesn't work. I hope I can find out how to fix it soon. If you know the problem, please help.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What boot method are you using???

CD-R, Retail then CD-R or Retail then CD-R

First method is the best one the later is ok for games or homebrew with a lower toc than the retail discs but will mess up CDDA tracks

There is no trick to getting it working providing your media is good quality and the burn was fine, having the sectors repaired before burning will help on readability if you used a region patcher that does not fix that for you

If you can save enough though get yourself an Action Replay 4M Plus and hack it with Psuedo then you don't need to use the swap trick for most games

P.S. you will need external save cart to play through all 3 Shining Force III Scenarios, 1 to 2 is ok but going from 2 to 3 there is not enough space in the internal storage, I'm sure the same going from 3 to the Prem disc also has space issues, you would also need to do the swap trick anyway while using a Mem cart as you can't hot swap carts or at least not the one I use (I have a 3rd party mem cart that does not require a battery (Memory Card Plus), the official mem cart uses a battery though) once you upgrade the save from Scenario 2 to 3 you can make sure you have SC3 save on the internal storage and go back to playing either by the old swap trickery or via a Pseudo cart
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-July-2016 at 19:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm doing the first Swap Trick, but with a reset at the Black screen for retail, due to the fact I have a model 2.
    The burn itself was fine, no problems. I think the Saturn just doesn't like reading ISO+BIN+CUE. It'll read BIN+CUE just fine, I mean, I have Super Tempo burned and it plays great, but not the Shining Force 3 files.
    I am thinking of getting a AR and flashing it so I don't do lasting damage to my CDs. It'll work well, but I still have no real money, so I gotta wait for about a month or so.
    Plus, the AR has 4MB, so I can play SF Alpha 3.
    Man, really? The files are too big? Dang... I guess I gotta start getting memory cards, then. Good thing you pointed that out, or else I would be so mad.
    Last edited by Poptheweasel100; 12th-July-2016 at 20:11.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah I found that pout the hard way

You can try and convert the CD image if you like using the method I mentioned with isobuster it is a cleaner format anyway

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I got an Action Replay for Saving Purposes and for the 4MB feature, and the game now works fine with the Disc Swap!
    Only problem is how I'm gonna play all the games and get the bonus content.
    Is there any way to access the saves as a fake cartridge that can be read by the Saturn?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Nope can't be done with an Action Replay/Clones

You can either get an official Memcard (Battery operated so chances are you would need to replace the battery if you get one) or a Memcard Plus (Not that different to the Action Replay Plus but the memory features work in game so not just as a backup and uses a flash chip like the action replay so no battery required for that)

EDIT: seems I covered that already anyway :/
    Last edited by Zorlon; 8th-September-2016 at 20:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh... Whatever. I don't care. I dealt with so much trouble, I'm gonna take what I got. I can look up the endings. I mean, I saw Ending 1 and 2 in Shining Force Premium, so I think that's what I'm looking for. If it's only FMV, I can just see a let's play for the ending.
    Really, I'm just happy to be able to play the game now.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can still play all 3 episodes and the prem CD

P.S. cheats for that game will bug it out and 3 will bug out anyway depending on the monsters you take into battle

I would stick to easy mode though

When you go to play episode 3 without transferring your save you are asked story related questions and it will determine who is on your force

Prem CD does the same but I was never satisfied with the results and that is a hard one to play through fully, though it has no real story it's just battle after battle and done as more of a challenge than a follow on story

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]