Thread: Mame controller problem

Thanks

Default Mame controller problem

I've set up a tablet version of mame, (0.139u1 to be exact) and I bought a mad catz C.T.R.L. controller for it. I went into settings to configure it, and everything went smooth except for a major problem with the mame a and b buttons. When I try to set my controller for the a button to be x, the system accepts it, but the button doesn't do anything in any game I've tried. Even stranger, when I configure the b button to be y on my controller, it's causing it to be both the mame a and b buttons together... The reason I know this is because that's how you roll in king of fighters games, and that's what the button does. Also causes you to both jump and shoot at the same time in metal slug games. I've also tried configuring mame buttons to other controller buttons like L1 and R1, and even the dpad, still no luck. Any help with this would be great, as I play mostly fighting games and the a and b buttons are mandatory for some combos and special moves, and impossible to pull off without them. Please help!

Thanks
    EP Points

You could try setting the controls when in-game. You can hit the Tab button I believe it was while the game itself is running to bring up a menu and can change controls from there too. Give that a whirl.

Edit: just noticed you said tablet, try to find a way to bring the menu up in game. Dunno what it would be but a quick google should tell you how to bring up the in game mame menu.

Thanks

Keep in mind I'm using an android version of mame on my tablet, and without a tab key I can still touch option in game to config controls, and that doesn't work either. Will I need to hook the tablet up to a PC or laptop to config from there, or are there any special files I'm missing or maybe a patch? I'm determined to get this thing working.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hrmm yeah sorry not too sure with the Android version. I quickly loaded up mame4droid and when in game only saw the regular options button too.

Thanks

I appreciate the help and I'm not giving up... Having a portable gaming system I've set up like this for under $120 will be a reality... Maybe it's just the damned controller itself, though the buttons work fine with GBA and SNES emulators.

Thanks
    EP Points

Could just be the emulator itself not being 100% compatible with controllers too. Wait and see, someone else may post with a solution.

Thanks

Thanks for the help, you have a good day!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can hook up a USB keyboard to a tablet providing you have a USB converter that works with your tablet

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR