Thread: Wiiflow Black Screen

Thanks

Default Wiiflow Black Screen

So, I'm pretty new to the whole modding scene, and I've never tried anything like this before, but I recently acquired an original Wii console (Gamecube ports and all) and have decided to hack it.

I started by following this guide at Legroom.net and have matched his instructions to a T.
    I spent all last night and this morning downloading all these files, preparing SD cards and USB hard drives and making sure they're compatible, installing Wiiflow and Dios Mios and making sure all my files are in order. I downloaded a few Gamecube .iso files (I don't actually have a flash drive big enough for Wii games yet, so I can't test those) and I've gotten them to show up on Wiiflow when I insert the flash drive. Everything seems to be working, right up until I try to actually play a game, then the screen goes black.

I did some research on this "black screen" phenomenon, and tried various fixes, such as changing the default player to Dios Mios, installing Devolution and trying to run them with that, running the games with a disc in the system, etc. Nothing I do seems to work.

I'm at my wits end here. I've worked so hard to get this running, and all I get are black screens. Can someone tell me what I might be doing wrong? I've checked and re-checked everything. What am I missing?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shame if you asked first I would of advised against using any online guides all together and just use ModMii that will ask a few simple questions then create files for use from SD to install everything for you just about (Not the only auto modder either just not used the other one and forget it's name)

You would also have a working USB Loader though would require updating for some of the extra features like GC loading and a few extra steps for virtual Nand

Personally I don't use WiiFlow
    Most go for either Cfg USB Loader or USB Loader GX (I use the GX one, but some find the CFG one better so kind of user preference there, they are both good loaders)

Dios Mios is outdated and actually effects discs including originals so the sound issues it has from USB are now common via the disc drive
    Devolution may have some uses still but is outdated also
    Nintendon't is the one to go far and you don't even need GC ports for that one, it can use GC pads or it can use USB pads or even the Wii's Classic pad, memcards are also emulated though that may not work 100% so best to have a real mem card also

https://code.google.com/archive/p/nintendon-t/

I was sure there was another USB GC loader but that would also be considered outdated now and was sure you required a retail disc of the game that was installed at least once to verify you own the game

The outlining issue may just be how you are storing your games

USB HDD is the best option as USB Flash drives tend to have issues on the Wii though partly fixable (dx2 v10 update though should fix most USB Flash drive issues, v8 that is normally installed is fine though for USB HDD's and the v10 update does nothing for USB HDD users)

Best format for the USB Flash drive is Fat32 with 32KB clusters, something windows can not do on it's own, so you need software that can format to that spec

http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Part...-10863346.html can do what is needed as far as formatting the flash drive goes (yes it can format USB HDD's also, it is a very in depth program and can do most HDD related tasks)

As for Dios Mios I would restore the original Mios on your Wii, think it's Mios v10 that will be the official mios and that will fix issues with GC discs

Devolution and Nintendont are the only ones worth keeping now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-July-2016 at 18:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR