Thread: Another "Help me!" Dreamcast Post

Thanks

Default Another "Help me!" Dreamcast Post

Hello,
    I've been working on setting up a dreamcast emulator and I'm having ridiculous issues with it.
    I've mostly been trying to get NullDC to work. I've tried 1.04_136, 1.04_141, and 1.04_150. I have the bios in the proper place. I have tried using with and without the NoTrace. I have downloaded every possible C++ version (86 and 64) from microsoft's website. I have tried multiple roms from multiple sites in cdi format, gdi format, and in zipped formats. I have tried deleting the cfg file. I have searched a ton on this issue to no avail. I'm hoping someone out there can walk me through this one.
    I can get NullDC to load, and I can to Normal Boot to choose a game. However when I actually choose a game and load it, it immediately crashes. If I choose No Disk, it also crashes.

EDIT: I forgot to add that occasionally I can hear the first two notes of the dreamcast beginning screen starting up. I don't know if that helps at all, but maybe. Also, I've tried Reicast through Retroarch with the same files. They boot up, but I'm not getting anything on screen. I can hear the games, I get all the sound, but only one shade of color in the emulator. (I know this is a seperate issue, but I feel that because I can hear the game, then the cdis and gdis aren't broken).

My system specs are:
    AMD Phemon II x4 965 3.4GHz, 8 GB Ram, NVidia GeForce 9800GT, Windows 7 Ultimate

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: nullDC_Win32_Release.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 5351901e
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: 74786554
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 00000008
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale I 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

If there's anyone out there who can help me out on this one, I'd be much appreciated. Hopefully this is enough information to diagnose the issue.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Hokkey; 23rd-June-2016 at 11:13.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thread moved.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,829 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You didn't said which game were u trying to boot?

Also did u try to install all direct x via WEB Installer? its really a must.
    also Try this it is amazing tool for quick checking if u have all the stuff u need
    http://automizzer.webatu.com/atmzzrsystemcheck-en.html
    Name:  screen1-en.png
Views: 480
Size:  12.1 KB
    Last edited by IcemanSR; 23rd-June-2016 at 11:52.
    Full List of my uploads here (Fixed link ) Only members can access blog.

Quote Ragnar:
    Warning* New downloaders. DO NOT install Jdownloader with the web installer, it contains malware. Get the offline installer, or JD2. Or try CryptLoad or Mipony.

Do NOT decrypt and or repost my links anywhere!
    All my uploads are on MEGA
    DLC IS NOT GAME! DLC is to be used with Jdownloader to Download GAME!
    paypal.me/IceLancer

Thanks

For games, I attempted Crazy Taxi, NFL blitz, 18 wheeler and sonic adventures. All produced the same result.
    As soon as i can get back to the pc, I'll check out that program.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do Not forget direct x web update. It is crucial! Even if u think u have updated because game works fine!

Quote Ragnar:
    Warning* New downloaders. DO NOT install Jdownloader with the web installer, it contains malware. Get the offline installer, or JD2. Or try CryptLoad or Mipony.

paypal.me/IceLancer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanSR View Post
    Do Not forget direct x web update. It is crucial! Even if u think u have updated because game works fine!
    I think that actually did it. I've been at this for days. I even reformatted my hard drive out of frustration. I'd like to buy you a beer.
    Not that I'll be using the Reicast version on RetroArch now, but do you have any advice for that issue? I can hear the game fine, but the screen is all one color. It'll start white for the main dreamcast screen. Then for the time resetting screen, it turned teal. Then when Crazy Taxi started, it was that bright shade of yellow. I'm sure it's a retroarch issue, but I'm not sure where that one lies.

EIther way, thank you a ton for that issue, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't double check that beforehand.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkey View Post
    I think that actually did it. I've been at this for days. I even reformatted my hard drive out of frustration. I'd like to buy you a beer.
    Not that I'll be using the Reicast version on RetroArch now, but do you have any advice for that issue? I can hear the game fine, but the screen is all one color. It'll start white for the main dreamcast screen. Then for the time resetting screen, it turned teal. Then when Crazy Taxi started, it was that bright shade of yellow. I'm sure it's a retroarch issue, but I'm not sure where that one lies.

EIther way, thank you a ton for that issue, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't double check that beforehand.
    Sorry i do not use retroarch nor alcohol for that matter .. have u tried without frontend? lately i am rather interested in Launchbox fe, but 20$ per year is bit expensive lol.

Quote Ragnar:

paypal.me/IceLancer

Thanks
    EP Points

Reicast is still under development. I don't think it has great compatibility with AMD hardware so that could be it.

You could try going to settings/core and change HW shared context to enabled though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Maybe different version to try?
    http://builds.reicast.com/

I do not have those games u have, but others i have played i have always been using NullDC.

Quote Ragnar:

paypal.me/IceLancer

Thanks

Thanks for the tips, fellas. I really do appreciate the quickness.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

NullDC you know but there is also Demul that will boot and run a few games NullDC can't, Demul overall is a better emulator but it does take up more resources so is slower than NullDC in that respect

Reicast is a promising development that is worth watching and as far as I know is the only actively worked on emulation of Dreamcast hardware at the moment.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR