Thread: HDMI to my all in one PC?

Thanks

Default HDMI to my all in one PC?

So I got a PS3 the other day and I've come face to face with the situation that my all-in-one desktop has no hdmi input. I've looked up online for HDMI/USB adapters and I really don't know which is the cheapest/best one to get. I read up on one that was around $50 which sounded ridiculous to me and judging by the reviews it seemed to lag for people a lot, but only that one. I really don't know which one to buy. Could someone help me pick out the correct one?

Remember, I'm just wanting to use my computer/monitor as a "tv" to view my ps3 games on. That's all I've got for now.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Modern TVs and monitors have a HDMI in or several , I'm sure you can find a nice one if you look deep enough.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah depending where you live you could pick up a little 19 or 21 inch lcd/led tv for 20 or so bucks. And then you could also plug in your PC to it too if you want. They all pretty much have vga inputs too.

Hell you may even be able to pick one up for free. Check ads in your area or people you know. They're pretty common nowadays. I got my little 19" from a tv show being filmed!! Of course I knew someone who worked there though.

Probably the best way to go tbh.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you look around you can get a cheap led lcd tv that is a decent size now.
    Local shop has 43" 1080p that has an ok screen for around $300aud (that's around 155gbp, 195eur, 220us). If you want something smaller it will cost less obviously, but around that price range is good value for size/money (here anyway).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new monitor altogether until I can afford a new computer.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ZJrocket View Post
    I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new monitor altogether until I can afford a new computer.
    Irrelevant imo. Get a decent size tv now and you can still use it with whatever pc you buy down the track.
    If you buy something small you might regret the size decision later on...with PS4 (and PS3 with plenty of titles) you need a decent tv, especially if there is any online component (but even with sp in some games).

But if you can get something small for free or next to nothing ($20 or whatever like Zal said) then go with that.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

I dunno, I'm perfectly fine with my little tv for the xbox. Splitscreen is garbage but it looks great otherwise.

I know how you feel with people saying "well just get a tv" but it really is the best way to go. Any adapter you get going through a computer is going to lag most likely, there's simply just too many places the signals get processed.

Thanks
    EP Points

For 360 it doesn't matter so much iirc. I used a 24" for that and PS3, but with PS3 I noticed it was getting to be a strain on my eyes for some games...small text on screen and also for games that involve shooting distant targets are just way too small. With some games you have to be arms length from the screen if it's that small.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    I dunno, I'm perfectly fine with my little tv for the xbox. Splitscreen is garbage but it looks great otherwise.

I know how you feel with people saying "well just get a tv" but it really is the best way to go. Any adapter you get going through a computer is going to lag most likely, there's simply just too many places the signals get processed.
    This is the answer I was looking for. I guess I won't get an adapter then. Which is cheaper though? HDTVs or HD Monitors? Or are they about the same?

Thanks
    EP Points

This is the answer I was looking for. I guess I won't get an adapter then. Which is cheaper though? HDTVs or HD Monitors? Or are they about the same?
    TVs are cheaper money/size wise. You don't need a monitor for consoles as they are 720p/1080p max (I think the new PS4 getting released might be 4k but from I understand that's irrelevant for games).
    You can't get a 43" pc monitor for $300.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    For 360 it doesn't matter so much iirc. I used a 24" for that and PS3, but with PS3 I noticed it was getting to be a strain on my eyes for some games...small text on screen and also for games that involve shooting distant targets are just way too small. With some games you have to be arms length from the screen if it's that small.
    The 360 can handle 1360x768 through hdmi so it's slightly sharper. Never found an option for that on PS3 - just 720p. Not much but it is noticeable.

Probably the TV I would imagine.

Edit: farking forum backup

Edit 2: @DL yeah like last gen where most games are 720p the advantage of a higher resolution is a slightly crisper picture or the tv/console will downscale umm upscale whatever etc..

Just like an old PS2 with component cables even though it doesn't support HD modes (even 480) you still get that extra little oomph from it on a current screen. Unless more games were released in 1080 the last few years as I'm not that current anymore.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 16th-June-2016 at 06:26.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    The 360 can handle 1360x768 through hdmi so it's slightly sharper. Never found an option for that on PS3 - just 720p. Not much but it is noticeable.

Probably the TV I would imagine.

Edit: farking forum backup

Edit 2: @DL yeah like last gen where most games are 720p the advantage of a higher resolution is a slightly crisper picture or the tv/console will downscale umm upscale whatever etc..

Just like an old PS2 with component cables even though it doesn't support HD modes (even 480) you still get that extra little oomph from it on a current screen. Unless more games were released in 1080 the last few years as I'm not that current anymore.
    Technically 480p isn't HD, it's EDTV (enhanced definition).
    480i is SD.
    720p, 1080i and 1080p are all HD.

People have been calling 480p HD for years but it isn't really, it's just an enhanced version of SD (it isn't interlaced).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hmmm... Well, this is only $90.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Technically 480p isn't HD, it's EDTV (enhanced definition).
    480i is SD.
    720p, 1080i and 1080p are all HD.

People have been calling 480p HD for years but it isn't really, it's just an enhanced version of SD (it isn't interlaced).
    Leave me alone, I'm drunk off my ass