Thread: Can someone help with this game? (running The Devil Inside on XP)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Can someone help with this game? (running The Devil Inside on XP)

Hello everyone. So, I have a CD of this game called 'The Devil Inside'. It's a pretty old PC game, and I wanted to try it out. But unfortunately the game just doesn't want to work. I managed to install it, and it starts up just fine. Then, when I try to start a new game, it crashes to desktop. I'm using Windows XP by the way. I tried running the game in Win95 and Win98 compatibility modes, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas how I can make this game run?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

Is it CD, ISO Did patch game? How did you install? sometimes when you install you have copy crack/or EXE from disc image (ISO) to your install directory its where you installed the game C:/ name of game it will over write old EXE http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
    Last edited by killapinke; 15th-June-2016 at 21:45.

Thanks
    EP Points

This game was always a bitch to run on xp even though it was that era.

You can try googling an xp patch and download (at your own risk)

Setting win95 compatibility is supposed to work though so you're on the right track there. Try setting your desktop to a resolution that the game supports. 640x480 is a safe bet or possibly 800x600 or 1024x768. Alternatively if you can find an option in the compatibilty menues look for something called forcedisplaymode and checkmark that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    This game was always a bitch to run on xp even though it was that era.

You can try googling an xp patch and download (at your own risk)

Setting win95 compatibility is supposed to work though so you're on the right track there. Try setting your desktop to a resolution that the game supports. 640x480 is a safe bet or possibly 800x600 or 1024x768. Alternatively if you can find an option in the compatibilty menues look for something called forcedisplaymode and checkmark that.
    I may have to screw around with the compatibility settings a bit more... If all else fails, I'll search for some kind of patch. It is weird that this game (and from what I've read, Cryo's other games) just doesn't want to work on XP. Thanks for the tips though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

When I googled this the other day I read a game review that stated the game can run on XP, but there's some messing around involved (jumping through hoops is what it said I think). It didn't state details of what needed to be done to get it working though.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    When I googled this the other day I read a game review that stated the game can run on XP, but there's some messing around involved (jumping through hoops is what it said I think). It didn't state details of what needed to be done to get it working though.
    Yeah, I found an article like this too, but it didn't state the details either. And I thought that this was going to be a piece of cake...

Thanks
    EP Points

From googling around it seems this game just has a bitch of a time running on xp. Thankfully this isn't the norm though!

We all probably read the same site

Always handy to check user comments from articles too by the way.

Thanks
    EP Points

So, turns out that there was an official patch for the game. The problem: the official site no longer exists, and I can't seem to find the patch anywhere else... Great!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 539 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by szunyzoli99 View Post
    So, turns out that there was an official patch for the game. The problem: the official site no longer exists, and I can't seem to find the patch anywhere else... Great!
    You can try this one make sure back up your files https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v...VCRk5sNkk/view

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Right click your link, go in the Properties, Compatibility tab, click to Disable Visual Themes and Desktop Composition. Not that I have found anything specific but I recently installed Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and it requires this to run smooth. There should also be a box here to 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution' if you want to check that the resolution is the problem.

Also, click the box for Run as Administrator. XP era games tended not to work right on later OS without it.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Try pached rom. I work with this all day, simce to work. If you need any help send me pm.