Thread: please help (Soft modding a Wii)

Thanks

Default please help (Soft modding a Wii)

hey everyone

i just made an account please don't give me a hard time :c

I got a wii for my birthday yesterday (original white, 4 GC ports)

Whoever is dedicated to help me will in fact be sent a purple (indigo) original (NOT FAKE) GC controller in mint condition with an extension cable. If you can answer my questions i will even cover shipping as long as you live in canada/USA

I want to mod my wii to play NES, N64, GC, and WII games.

please give me the MOST DETAILED EVER set of instructions on how to do this, i am going to barf from getting dizzy looking it up. everyone says something different. (separate instructions for each game type would be best. just looking to play nes/n64/gc/wii)

how to mod/hack the wii? (i have a 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, and 16gb sd card. well micro sd cards with sd adapter. heard 2gb works best?)

what programs? links where to get them? how to work each (nes/n64/gc)type of rom? how to work wii .iso's?

how to usbload these games?

can i put all my NES/N64 games onto a SD card and play them like that? or can i just put everything in an external hard drive?

also, i want to know if my Seagate Freeagent GoFlex 500gb usb2.0 external hard drive will work to put all these games onto. (model 9ZF2A2-500)

do i need a usb y cable since this hard drive draws power from the wii usb port

what should i format the drive to? (e.g. FAT32, NTFS)

please cover everything end to end i have asked, if you would rather PM me then that works too.

winner is the first to do the best job in what i have asked. please don't miss anything and bore me with detail.

i have 5 GC controllers that were packed away about 7 or 8 years ago due to the GC i had being broken and i saved the controllers thinking id get another GC. never did. in other words i have an extra controller that i have no use for. so shipping it for a few dollars is much easier than trying to figure this out for myself. i don't want to brick my wii.

i also have a platinum coloured one, colour choice is up to you just please do an awesome job i bet this writeup could be done in 30 mins by a pro

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You will need
    A Wii check you have that
    A SD card (A none SDHC SD card may be needed to start with, after you are fine though)
    A USB HDD (A USB flash memory device could be used but they can cause issues)

Looks like you have it all covered

I use a wall socket powered USB HDD but using a USB powered one should also be fine (used as normal no extra's needed)

the USB port you need to be using on the Wii though is the one that is closest to the outer case of the Wii the more central one will not detect a HDD, not without modding further anyway (with the console flat it is the lower USB port)

You can run everything from USB now best that your USB is a HDD though not a flash drive, but I can see you are using a USB HDD

Depending on the size of your drive you may want to partition it as there is a game limit per partition of 500 I think it was 500GB partitions should be fine so a 2TB drive can have 3 or 4 partitions your current small drive a single partition is fine though

Formatting you want Fat32 but nothing that windows can do on it's own you want to format with an external tool set to Fat32 with 32KB clusters (Windows itself does not support formatting to that standard, but it can read it fine) EaseUS-Partition-Master-Free-Edition can do this fine and is a great tool in general for HDD managment

ModMii can be used to start with or Pimp My Wii either will do the job needed, though I have not used Pimp My Wii, ModMii is self guided so the instructions are generated for you depending on how you answer the Q's along the way, it will also download all the needed files for it (I strongly advise against online guides though if you do not want to brick your Wii)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/modmii/

That will mod the wii and allow for Wii games only so far (Make sure you do the Nand dump that you are told to do we can use that later)

The next thing you will want to do is update the USB Loader (personally I use USB Loader GX but others use CFG USB Loader, so up to you) the Loaders you want though are the latest build that more often than not will not be the stable release, these allow for GC USB loaders to be used and more that the stable releases do not support

https://sourceforge.net/projects/usb...0%283.0%2B%29/
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/cfg-loader/downloads

You will be now wanting PC software to copy over your Wii Games http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/ I tend to store the games in WBFS format (do not format the drive in that format though) WBFS file format is nice and will slit games that are too big for Fat32 into 2 smaller files but the loaders will read that as a single file anyway

GC uses loaders Nintendon't would be the best choice though you can use though the others can also be used, if any compat issues arise
    NES N64 ect are emulated for those you can either go for official Wads that can be installed to Virtual Nand that I will get to later or you can use Homebrew emulators that will allow more games to be played though some may still run better from official emulators by Nintendo (Official ones are the Wads I mentioned), for the homebrew emu's they are dol files that can be accessed from the Homebrew channel or you can setup forwarders for those also, that can either be accessed directly or via the USB loader that can list Wads from Nand and Virtual Nand GC and Wii so everything can be listed together instead of going into different loaders

https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/tree/master/loader Nintendon't loader file needs to be saved as boot.dol and stored in the location you want on your HDD, you can use your USB loader to setup what path to use

http://www.tueidj.net/gc_devo.zip Devolution is another GameCube loader that may be worth having, the other older loaders are not worth having now though

To copy the GC games over best to use something like .... WILL EDIT THAT IN WHEN I PULL MY WII HDD OUT (While I'm at it I do store all the PC progs I use for my Wii HDD directly on that HDD)

Emulators I can get to much later and would depend on how you would want it setup so recommend getting yourself to a stage you are happy with first and see how it works once installed

Virtual NAND I have a separate thread all about that anyway over at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?83529 some things are covered in that thread that I just covered here, maybe a little more detail but not much more

LOL you have no idea how much is involved but you will find out yourself...

To make the progress go a bit easier make sure you have a GC pad ready

Let me know when you catch up or have any Q's along the way
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-June-2016 at 09:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

HOLY F0CK.......

i am a network engineer student. so i know my way around technology...

but i guess all the crap people said about wii being crappy or stupid or childish is because people have no idea that the wii is like the matrix....

qns? yes of course!

what is a NAND? what is a NAND dump?

what questions is midmii going to ask? will it enable usb loading the games?
    when i "not download" a wii game how do i turn it into a usable file?
    how do i backup the wii should i mess up?
    whats a WBFS?
    WAD IS A WAD?... lol whats a WAD
    what is an official wad?
    whats a virtual nand?

i am not scared to do this, but as with phones (rooting/jailbreak/unlock/romchange)
    i make sure the process is clearly instructed before i even start ANYTHING.

please continue helping me make these steps clear as day, so far you are winning the GC controller. if you don't mind me asking what state or province are you in? so i can calculate shipping once all this is said and done. again many thanks for helping to teach me the art of wii.

sorry to double reply, i know it is frowned upon in any forum.

but i want to really understand this and i am essentially paying for your service (lol, dirty)

could you answer my qns in a separate quick reply and then copy your superset of instructions into a new quick-reply with the newly populated instructions and steps?

bore me to death with details please please please

not to mention i bet others will see this and find it useful #FREELOADERS loljk
    Last edited by deadlegion; 14th-June-2016 at 10:47. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

You can edit your post if you want to add something.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

thank you, i did not realize that, but for accuracy sake i would like to see the new edits from the original post. just so its clear what the new additional info is.

i physically printed our the instructions to read over them and make notes/questions.

university people do things in this sort of manner when it comes to anything. yes. you read right

FUN HOMEWORK.

Thanks
    EP Points

Then when you add something start with...

Edit:

And if you add more...

Edit 2:

And so on.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You know what use Pimp My Wii, ModMii is for the Wii only not the WiiU I miss read it, maybe because you say you got a wii with gc ports for your bday but the thread title says WiiU.

Pimp My Wii covers Wii U modding, just google for that as I don't think it has an official site

wad is a program installer if you like it's not important to be honest that you know exactly what it is, you get wiiware in this format
    wbfs is a compressed iso format that the wii can use, kind of obvious from my post
    virtual nand is pretend nand again obvious (nand itself is what the wii uses for internal space virtual nand runs from your HDD, you use your nand dump to create that, look at the guide for that stuff) [internal nand is easy to fill with saves along so I prefer to use virtual nand for most things to save me filling the nand up]

EDIT

Just go for it and let me know what you want to do next with it also please state what console you have for clarity

EDIT

modmii will install a USB loader with it but you will want to update it, it installs all the files needed to mod the console updates hacks ect if will ask you about your system firmware it is on what method you wish to use to mod it ect all things you can find out from your console, I'm sure it tells you how to find the info also

the nand backup is the system backup, you will be prompted to do that

installing your own not downloaded games can be done direct from whatever USB loader you use otherwise I already answered that before you asked with Wii Backup Manager

EDIT

My Location is accurate (info to the right of my sig)

EDIT

The Wii is not just a kids toy most the games I play are 18 or MA for my US friends, though yes it has tons of games aimed at children, more than the XBOX's and Playstations do for sure, but that does not make it exclusive for children

Once modded there is a lot more out there including Sega consoles PSX yeah more retro Nintendo consoles also, it's not just emulators either there is also the ports out there the obvious being Doom but there is also SCUMMVM (a Virtual Machine for running Point and Click Adventures)

Now I want to pull my olde Wii out again, too much to play though as it is

EDIT

this post is a good example of the use of Edit Post, though I have gone overboard with it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-June-2016 at 16:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

HOW DID THIS CHANGE TO SOFTWOOD WIIU. THIS WAS MEANT FOR WII ORIGINAL. HOW CAN SOMEONE CHANGE MY PRIZE GIVEAWAY....

prize still stands for requested instructions, please help I'm desperate
    Last edited by deadlegion; 14th-June-2016 at 23:58. Reason: merged posts

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thread title edited

You can ignore Wii U comments then, just as well I don't have a Wii U myself either

lets get back on track, how far are you on with this?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I'm sorry about the confusion, i have the original white wii model with the 4 GC ports.

i have not yet tried as i haven't been able to see a clear instruction set, i will re-clarify in a simple manner

i want to run Nes, N64, GC, and WII games on this wii via a 500gb hard drive

how to home-brew?
    usb loader?
    best programs to run these games?
    how to install/use them?
    where to send this gamecube controller once we got this all figured out?

sorry i have bricked an XBOX in the past which is easy to fix but a wii is not and it was a gift so i am taking great care to do this right

this looks like it overs most steps?

would you trust this way of doing the mod?

also how will i sort my games on the hard drive after doing the special formatting required?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 15th-June-2016 at 22:30. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Stop double posting please. You're just being lazy and creating more work for staff.

Spoiler warning:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by nintendolikecrazy View Post
    i have not yet tried as i haven't been able to see a clear instruction set, i will re-clarify in a simple manner
    Zorlon linked you to ModMii, run that, it'll give you a clear step-by-step guide. IIRC you will be able to fully read everything it writes up before you actually *do* anything to your Wii.

i want to run Nes, N64, GC
    Those are later steps, but will be easy enough once you're familiar with what you're doing. Reading everything about them now isn't super useful. Zorlon has detailed the correct format for your external HD so you'll be ready to go when you start adding features.

how to home-brew?
    how to install/use them?
    ModMii will take care of that. It'll get you to install the Homebrew Channel and use it a few times.

also how will i sort my games on the hard drive after doing the special formatting required?
    For Wii games at least Wiibackupmanager handles tossing games onto and deleting games from your HD. Then you'll have a USB loader on your Wii which will let you browse your library.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Following what I gave you so far you could of had the machine modded already and I could of given you more detail on what to do next as it is, if this continues the way it is I will be away anyway as I have hols booked.

I do have a life outside the forum...

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

sure enough i learned that my wireless router will not broadcast the older wireless connection required for the wii...

so i ordered a USB network adapter. once it gets here i will follow all these steps seeing as i need internet for the home-brew browser to download the required files. no big deal this awesome mod that squeezes a nes/n64/ngc/wii into a wii is worth the wait. i will be so happy once this is all said and done.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can do that manually anyway

And recommend you give Retroarch Wii port a shot

http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wii/ nightly builds
    http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.4/nintendo/wii/ stable build

they cover a lot more systems

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]