Thread: Final Fantasy VI Missing Screen Problem on ePSXe 2.0.2

Thanks

Default Final Fantasy VI Missing Screen Problem on ePSXe 2.0.2

I recently just finished playing FFIV and decided to play VI on a epsxe. I downloaded the game and was able to load it up, but after the start up scene parts of the screen seem to be missing. The text bubbles would appear but the rest would be black. I then tried playing it with the emulator on my phone and it worked fine, but it doesn't work on my pc. I tried downloading different files of the same game and tweeking/changing my video plugin but nothing seems to work.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you think this is bad wait till you try various games with epsxe, they need constant changes to work correctly.

I highly suggest you use Retroarch with the Mednafen PSX core on PC and PCSX ReARMED on Android/Mobile.

If you need a hand with Retroarch il gladly help you, epsxe is not worth the effort to use.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Much as above or you can check out settings per game over at http://psxdatacenter.com/ and continue playing with ePSXe

Mind you Retroarch has had some very nice OpenGL updates (not tested yet myself) but some of the graphics it can produce now are very nice looking from the screens I have seen

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Really? That's kinda unfortunate. I'll try to look into Retroarch sometime though.I heard they have a wide selection emulators.

Thanks

Thanks.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by XStarK48 View Post
    Really? That's kinda unfortunate. I'll try to look into Retroarch sometime though.I heard they have a wide selection emulators.
    Correct it has tons of cores in it (Not all perfect but all based on free source code and mostly currently worked on from what I can gather, so plenty to improve on where needed, saying that it is mostly stable for most of the cores to start with)

Retroarch Core Software Library List in spoiler, it is a bit list

Spoiler warning:
    3DEngine
    4DO
    Beetle/Mednafen LYNX
    Beetle/Mednafen NGP
    Beetle/Mednafen PCE FAST
    Beetle/Mednafen PCFX
    Beetle/Mednafen PSX
    Beetle/Mednafen SGX
    Beetle/Mednafen VB
    Beetle/Mednafen WSWAN
    blueMSX
    bnes
    bsnes
    bsnes-mercury
    CATSFC
    Craft
    DeSmuME
    Dinothawr
    Dolphin
    DOSBox
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
    Emux
    FCEUmm
    FFmpeg
    Final Burn Alpha
    fMSX
    Fuse
    Gambatte
    Game & Watch
    Genesis Plus GX
    gpSP
    Handy
    Hatari
    MAME
    MAME 2000
    MAME 2003
    MAME 2010
    MAME 2014
    MESS
    Meteor
    mGBA
    Mupen64Plus
    Nestopia
    NJEmu
    NXEngine
    O2EM
    PCem
    PCSX1
    PCSX ReARMed
    PicoDrive
    PocketSNES
    PPSSPP
    PrBoom
    ProSystem
    QuickNES
    Reicast
    Rustation
    ScummVM
    Snes9x
    Snes9x Next
    Stella
    TempGBA
    TGB Dual
    TyrQuake
    VBA-M
    VBA Next
    vecx
    Virtual Jaguar
    Yabause
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2016 at 15:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Well jeez. So many of those I know I probably won't ever use. I was always more toward Playstation.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

LOL you do not need to use every single core it has, can even remove cores you do not wish to use

PSX, PSP & Saturn cores are worth keeping maybe for a user like yourself maybe a few of the other more recent gen also like GC/Wii that has a number of games from the PS2 age as well as a couple of PSX to GC updated games like Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil if you like those games, PSP I would of thought would be a must and to be honest has the best versions of Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3 and 4

Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition has extra content vs PSX FF1 and 2 including Extra Dungeons in one of the games and extra Story play through in the other (asides from the Dungeon that is kinda just extra bosses the extra story is another Final Fantasy game that follows on the story (of 2 I think it is and 1 for the dungeons)), Graphics are just about the same as PSX though widescreen and slightly higher res
    Final Fantasy III skipped PSX totally but does have a PSP version, it is a port of the DS version so uses 3D graphics
    Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection) on PSP much the same as the PSX version but again with extra story content (aka a second game with a new story) and widescreen ect ect

There are a couple of other Final Fantasy games on PSP also though not all are RPG's or even feel like Final Fantasy games so judge for yourself there

ePSXe is a good emu as far as the players go but you do need to tweak per game there is no single config that will work with every game
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2016 at 17:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I matched my settings as they were shown on the link you sent me. I able to see the parts of the screen that were originally missing, but the framerate decreased dramatically. I'm not sure how keep the video settings stable without slowing down the emulator.

These are the video plugin settings that were shown:

Pete's OpenGL Driver v2.9 ( internal X & Internal Y= Very High, Stretching mode: Stretch to full window size, render Mode: 2 (Use framebuffer object) text filt = 2 FPS limit= 63, Compatibility=2,3,2; Shader effects= 1 (Fullscreen smoothin))

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can try dropping certain settings, those are for high end machines and as stated may not be the best

Shader effects= 0
    Lower the res if needs be also

Try switching to normal OpenGL instead of OpenGL2

Software mode is the fastest plugin and the most config free but visually it is not as nice as OpenGL2, but you are playing a 2D game that software is best for anyway

Asides from frame rate a Software plugin needs very little in the way of settings though if you can handle it I would try using Stretching:- HQ2X or HQ3X at 640x480 for 2X and 960x720 for 3x (If you have not noticed I use multiples of 320x240 that is the base PSX res though a couple of games did use 640x480 but only a few did)

P.S. moved this thread as it was in the Everything Console section that is for real console issues or even emulator on those said consoles but not for emulating a console on a PC, Everything Emulation is for emulated consoles on a PC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2016 at 17:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

XStarK48 Retroarch is very easy to use, its a set it and forget it kinda deal.

once you start Retroarch you use the online updater and choose what core you want, load the core then choose your game.

You must first add the bios/support files to the retroarch system folder and go to settings>directory settings and choose the retroarch system folder then hit escape to close Retroarch and save your changes (if it crashes after you make changes and you don't save/exit it will lose those changes)

Here is the bios pack - http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/in...Emulator_Files top link that says Retroarch.

Here is where to get the latest Retroatch nightly and stable release - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86_64/ Grab the one that says RetroArch.7z

I'm assuming you are on Windows 64 bit, if not you can navigate the buildbot and grab the appropriate one.

To make sure Retroarch sees the Bios files load the Mednafen PSX core and go information>core information and scroll down, if you see it say PRESENT for each of the three bios files you are good to go.

If your machine is a tad underpowered you can go to Video settings and turn on threaded video, that should make PSX much nicer and have smoother gameplay.

If you need a hand feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Warrior; 5th-June-2016 at 19:16.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.