Thread: A question about psp emulation.

Thanks

Default A question about psp emulation.

I am watched the emulation video on the help page and that explained to me how to emulate on my computer. What I am wondering is if there is any way to emulate a psp ISO on a psp. So if I want to download the god eater psp game ISO can I put that on my psp itself or can you only put it on a pc? I really dont understand.
    Thanks!

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You don't emulate what can be ran natively on the PSP.

You have two choices to run a PSP UMD/PSN game image,

#1 a real PSP that has CFW
    #2 PPSSPP

Using PPSSPP is very easy , here is where to get the latest builds for windows and android - http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Getting CFW (Custom Firmware) to run on your PSP is rather easy as well, given the make and model.
    What PSP do you have? Check the stick on the bottom if you dont know off hand.

Thanks

Well I have a psp 3000 and I bricked it a long time ago (at least a few years back). I am planning on getting a ps vita here soon. I am basically just wondering if I am able to just download ISO's of psp games and play them on the ps vita. Basically can I download games and not have to pay is what I am asking :3. Emulation is just confusing to me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I wanted to say no, but after a quick google, it may be possible. It will depend on your current firmware...so I have some research to do. I will get back with you after I check my own Vita's firmware and see if its possible.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you need insight on emulation then ask away here on the forum, I usually enjoy helping people understand the ins and outs of emulator usage.

PPSSPP is very easy to understand WizzyDrizzy, you can even go online with PPSSPP and play with friends via the emulated Ad Hoc (which is also easy).
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

I really appreciate both of you helping! Warrior so I looked up PPSSPP and saw that you can play on your computer and stuff. Is PPSSPP able to play those games on a psp itself? Sorry I am not sure if what I am trying to ask is making sense.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by WizzyDrizzy View Post
    I really appreciate both of you helping! Warrior so I looked up PPSSPP and saw that you can play on your computer and stuff. Is PPSSPP able to play those games on a psp itself? Sorry I am not sure if what I am trying to ask is making sense.
    PPSSPP is meant to run on computers and phones.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah you kinda only need to soft mod a PSP to play dumps of PSP games on one, asides from the soft mod nothing else is needed to make a PSP run

Softmod = CWF = Custom Firmware (very easy to install)

PPSSPP is an emulator and emulators are designed to run one system on another, for this one it can run PSP system games on a Windows PC system or an Android based OS system like a phone, others you may get PSX running on an Xbox so that would be running a PSX system on an Xbox system

The PSP itself has a PSX emulator built into it as a PSX does not share the same hardware as a PSP the PSP uses software to emulate a PSX (the software is called POPS)

What an Emulator does though is translate the original hardware by software so that games or software designed for whatever system is emulated will run as they would of on real hardware (or as close as they can get it depending on any emulation issues that an emulator may or may not have, i.e. part of the emulated system may not be correctly emulated/emulated as best as possible with the given tech detail of said emulated system that may not be full)

If you want to be guided through installing PSP Custom Firmware (Software modding it) just ask but give a bit of detail about the model of PSP you own so you can be guided as best as possible
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-June-2016 at 19:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Does PPSSPP have high compatibility?

Thanks
    EP Points

I've seen occasional small graphical glitches in games, but outside of that all the games i've tried have worked fine.

Thanks

You also said, "Yeah you kinda only need to soft mod a PSP to play dumps of PSP games on one, asides from the soft mod nothing else is needed to make a PSP run". So if I download custom software on a psp I will be able to play ANY psp game ISO that is on this site? Is that correct?

So if I want to play psp games that I downloaded from here on my psp I have to do get custom software running on my psp? Does that allow me to install this PSX emulator you were talking about, "The PSP itself has a PSX emulator built into it as a PSX does not share the same hardware as a PSP the PSP uses software to emulate a PSX (the software is called POPS)".

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes you can play any PSP iso on a PSP with Custom firmware or CFW version 6.60

there is an official Firmware version 6.61 but that did not let you play more games it was just to block CFW installs although that version was also cracked but it has no advantage over 6.60

The best Pro firmware is 6.60 Pro C with fix 3 applied as this keep the official PSone classics working (They broke that in CFW Pro C2 though)
    The best ME firmware is.... not sure as I don't use that one myself but those that do just use the latest version

You may want a large sized memory device for your PSP though, personally I use a convertor that can use two Micro SD's that has 2x32GB Micro SD's in it though you can have bigger ones (the real size is usually smaller for example I have less than 60GB of space from those, that is just because the space listed on a device is never accurate because they look at the size in bytes e.g. they would call 1000000 bytes 1MB but in reality that is less than 1MB as 1MB is 1048576 bytes that is a minor amount less but when you get into GB sizes they start to get further off e.g. 32000000000 bytes they would call 32GB but that is more like 29.80GB)

Installing those is very easy as I stated
    Always have the machine plugged in when installing firmware, including CFW
    Download the Official 6.60 Firmware update file
    Install the Update
    Download and Install the CFW (No tricks are needed like older CFW installs did)

Depending on the model of PSP you may be able to apply a perm patch (usually just 1000X and 2000X consoles) but if not there is a quick CFW restore option if you turn the console off so not an issue

The PSX emulator pops is part of the Firmware the PSP has

Nothing extra is needed to play PSN PSone Classic games

However if you want to play homemade PSX2PSP converts then you may need the Popsloader plugin that allows you to select older versions of Pops to get some of the games running correctly
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-June-2016 at 15:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR