Thread: Issues with each PS1 emulator

Thanks

Default Issues with each PS1 emulator

I've been testing various PS1 emulators, mostly on Tobal, Mega Man 8, and Ogre Battle. The ultimate goal is have an emulator that can make my PS1 games look nice on a high definition plasma TV, have sound true to the original system or close to it, and if possible, reduce load times and use the classic startup sequence with the Sony diamond and PS symbol.

ePSXe:
    +Games look awesome! High resolution looks really sharp.
    -Tobal's background music buzzed, slowed down, and even stopped. Tobal uses redbook audio. Ogre Battle and Mega Man sounded good once I used the right plugin
    -No fast forward button

Mednafen:
    +Perfect sound with Tobal
    +Appears to have some resolution enhancing abilities despite claims to the contrary.
    +Can fast-forward (doesn't seem to work during load screens)
    -Polygon characters looked really fuzzy/broken/pixely when they moved. I tried various settings and filters but so far the best I could manage was to reduce the effect by setting the blur to 0 (via MedGui).
    -Save State errors

no$PSX:
    -Crashes upon loading a game

I have 2 computers I could use.

Laptop would easier to use with the TV but has lesser specs:
    Windows 7
    Core 2 Duo @ 2.8 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    GeForce 8800 with 256 MB

I have a desktop computer that would be difficult to bring to the TV but could still be used:
    Windows 8.1
    i7-4790 (Quad) @ 3.6 GHz
    16 GB RAM (DDR3 1600)
    GTX 980 Ti with 6 GB

Do I have better chances resolving Mednafen's animation bugs or ePSXe's buzzing music?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you rely on save states you will encounter issues sooner or later. That's just the way it is with emulation.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    If you rely on save states you will encounter issues sooner or later. That's just the way it is with emulation.
    I think it was doing those things with or without the save states.

But in any event, the latest is that I got Tobal working wonderfully on my desk computer. I'll see what happens if I replicate the settings on the laptop as I'm not sure if it's a question of computing power or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

You listed Save State errors as a Mednafen issue so I thought I should mention that save states shouldn't be relied upon. They aren't the same as in-game saves because saves states can perpetuate emulation issues or make them even worse.

Spoiler warning: