Thread: Popstarter Guide - PS1 Games on your PS2 HDD (2016)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Popstarter Guide - PS1 Games on your PS2 HDD (2016)

Common Error Fixes:"POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20151124"

1. Disable Auto PAL Detection to fix Black Screen (Mode 9).
    2. Use a Component Switch to Fix different screen sizes on some games (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3027)
    3. CHEATS.TXT not working, place CHEATS.TXT file into game's save folder in your Hard Drive
    4. Popstarter not Working, make sure your using "POPStarter_r13_WIP_06_OBT_20151124"

(These should address and answer all the problems from my previous guide, I made sometime ago, anyhow, I could only use 480i sdtv mode, until I used a Component Switch then I could use 480p hdtv mode, sure many have the same problem .............. gona double check the previous compatibility list, maybe test a few more games too)

Internal Hard Drive (you must create the partitions that you don't have, named exactly)
    __common/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG
    __common/POPS/POPS.ELF
    __common/POPS/GameSaveFolder/CHEATS.TXT (PS2 Codes or $Commands, one or the other) (For Each Game)
    __.POPS1/Wild Arms.VCD (all your .CUE/.BIN converted games go in this partition) (Max Size 131 Gigs, or create more partitions ... "POPS1", "POPS2" upto 10)
    +OPL/Wild Arms.ELF (all your .ELF, POPSTARTER.ELF renamed files go in this partition, allows "Open PS2 Loader" to show your games on a list) (goto Hddmanager, and make sure this partition is, 128mb to 256 or large enough for all your POPSLOADER FOR VCD.ELF renamed files, and game images if any you add) (allow OPL to run once to create this partition, then resize it using hddmanager, see below)

Adding Game Entries to OPL so it reads your PS1.ELF files
    (conf_elm goes in OPL save folder in memory card)

Add the game to your "conf_elm" file or create it (located in your "OPL" save folder, found in memory card, created for you in the package, using windows notepad or a text editor), and just add another entry, renaming "Wild Arms=pfs0:Wild Arms.ELF" ... to the name of your game .ELF file, repeat as necessary ... that is the location of the partition you created from ulaunchelf on your Internal Harddrive. The +OPL partition will be created automatically after running "Open PS2 Loader", enable Harddrive to Auto and ELM to AUTO, then create the "APPS" folder in the +OPL partition that was created to add your POPSTARTER.ELF renamed files. Don't forget to save your settings in OPL before you exit, HDD and ELF to "Auto", Pressing "START" after setting the options shows the menu for HDD and ELF (direction pad "right"). .......................... Grab a .CUE/.BIN image of your game you want to use, and drag the .cue sheet on "CUE2POPS" in the "cue2pops/toolbox" folder. Add your .VCD game to the __.POPS directory and your POPSTARTER.ELF file renamed to the name of your .VCD Game to your +OPL directory. Now your good to do, I will up packager later with all the files referenced here, going through my old setup ............................. Press Select+L1+R2 to enable the smooth texture mapping Press Select+L2+R1 to disable the smooth texture mapping (to do this automatically create a "CHEATS.TXT" file and add "$SMOOTH" to it without the quotes, add the "CHEATS.TXT" file to your "Virtual Memory Card" for that game (its save folder).

Compatibility List (All Retested Fresh) (use GSM's resize options to fix screen size if smaller) (Default = Libcrypt Enabled, Mode 4 on, 6 on, 9 off (Mode 9 is Automatic PAL Detection)

Alien Trilogy (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Arc the Lad 1 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Arc the Lad 2 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Armored Core 1,2,3 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Battle Tanx 2 Global Assault (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Breath of Fire 3 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Breath of Fire 4 (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Different Screen Sizes, Centered Screen and Shrunk)
    Diablo (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Dino Crisis 2 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter) (Different Screen Sizes)
    Disruptor (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Donpachi (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Centered Screen and Shrunk)
    Dodonpachi Taikenban (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Centered Screen and Shrunk)
    Gekioh (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter)
    Grandia (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Different Screen Sizes, Screen Shrunk) (minor hiccup when exiting pause menu) (multidisk)
    Intelligent Qube (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Intelligent Qube Final (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Koudelka (LC Enabled, Mode 1, 4, 6 only, 9 off, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter (mode 1 reduces sound stutter) (Multi-Disk Image)
    Lunar 2 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter) (Single CDs all 3)
    Megaman X4,X5,X6 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Metal Gear Solid VR (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter) (minor click noises in music background)
    Parasite Eve 1 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter) (multidisk)
    Raycrisis (LC Enabled, Mode 2,4,6, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter) (Mode 2 helps with sound hiccups)
    Raystorm (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter)
    Resident Evil 2 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Revolution X (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Different Screen Sizes, Screen Shrunk)
    Saga Frontier 1 (LC Enabled, Mode 4 on only, 9 off, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Screen Shrunk)
    Saga Frontier 2 (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter - Fixed Different Screen Sizes)
    Saiyuki Journey West (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Steel Reign (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter) (very low buzz noise at chapter screen)
    Terra Driver (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Vanguard Bandits (Default, GSM HDTV 480p using Component Splitter)
    Wild Arms 1 and 2 (Default, only works using GSM SDTV 480i, Component Splitter) (Different Screen Sizes, Screen Shrunk) (Wild Arms 2 Multidisk Works)

Digital to Analog Controls using "CHEATS.TXT" (CHEATS.TXT must go in game folder to work)
    (First run the game once to create a save folder, it will be in you "common/POPS/ partition in your harddrive ......... PS2 Codes and "$Popstarter" commands will not both work in CHEATS.TXT file. (Digital to Analog + Smooth as PS2 Codes will work in CHEATS.TXT) (will be using PS2 Code to enable Smooth in CHEAT.TXT, since it does not keep requiring button presses after game start to enable in results below (Smooth works with Analog unless indicated below, if not stated)

Alien Trilogy (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Arc the Lad 1 (Smooth Filter causes Artifacts, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Arc the Lad 2 (Smooth Filter causes Artifacts, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Armored Core 1,2,3 (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Battle Tanx 2 Global Assault (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Breath of Fire 3 (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Breath of Fire 4 (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Diablo (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts, you should see the menu cycling in a loop)
    Dino Crisis 2 (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Disruptor (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts, you should see the menu cycling in a loop)
    Donpachi (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Dodonpachi Taikenban (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Gekioh (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Grandia (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Intelligent Qube Final (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts, you should see the menu cycling in a loop)
    Koudelka (Smooth Only, Analog patch freezes game at startup)
    Lunar 2 (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Mega Man X4,X5,X6 (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Metal Gear Solid VR (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Parasite Eve 1 (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Pepsiman (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Raycrisis (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Raystorm (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts, you should see the menu cycling in a loop)
    Resident Evil 2 (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Revolution X (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)
    Saga Frontier 1 (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts, you should see the menu cycling in a loop)
    Saga Frontier 2 (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Saiyuki Journey West (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Steel Reign (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Terra Driver (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts, you should see the menu cycling in a loop)
    Vanguard Bandits (Smooth Only, Natively Supports the PS2 Analog Button)
    Wild Arms 1 and 2 (Works, press the "Analog" button on the ps2 controller after games starts)

MULTI-BIN IMAGE for Popstarter
    Game Image with .cue file and lots of audio or bin files. Open the .cue sheet with ISOBUSTER, then extract .RAW image, after that draw and drop the .cue sheet and the .RAW image into "CUE2POPS", now your Image is ready for Popstarter

Alien Trilogy (multi-bin working, full sound)
    Pepsiman (multi-bin working, full sound)
    Krazy Ivan (multi-bin working, loud buzz at weapons use)

Games with Errors or Not Working
    Alundra (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6 - 2,4,6", sound skips minor with menu or between screens)
    Beyond the Beyond (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4-6, 5-4", sound skips minor at all screen transitions)
    Eternal Eyes (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6 - 2,4,6 - 3,4,6", sound skips major, when entering and exiting houses, or at chapter displays)
    Final Fantasy 8 (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, SDTV 480i only, skipp blurred intro by pressing buttons, freezes after name entry)
    Final Fantasy 9 (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, minor sound skipping during battles using various items/spells, Multidisk don't work, regular CD works)
    Hoshigami (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, cursor remains glued to character on map screen)
    Krazy Ivan (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6, loud buzz noise when using weapon)
    Lunar 2 Multidisk not working, Lunar 2 individual CD working
    Langrisser IV English (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, 480p, buzz noise at condition screens, fully playable)
    Legend of Dragoon (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, SDTV 480i only, sound buzz and hangs at music transitions)
    Ogre Battle (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, missing music)
    Parasite Eve 2 (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6, freezes at square logo)
    Rhapsody (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6, black screen on startup)
    Suikoden 1 (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6, missing music sounds)
    Suikoden 2 ((Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6, buzz noise when battle starts, some audio issues)
    Tales of Phantasia English Translated (Modes Tried: "Libcrypt 4,6 - 1,4,6, freezes with audio only after name entry)

FTP Instructions (153 to 179 Kbs, versus USB Stick at 50 to 128 Kbs)

Method 1: FlashFXP 5 on the PC, using Passive Mode, and a crossover cable from PS2 Network Adaptor to PC, with the PS2 using Ulaunchelf , the while in Ulaunchelf goto "File Browser" then "MISC", now select PS2Net, it will start the FTP Server, now you can run FlashFXP 5 on your PC and connect
    Method 2: FlashFXP 5 on the PC, Passive Mode, and a standard Network Cable from PS2 to Router which is connected to PC, rest as Method 1 is the Same
    "__.POPS", deleted itself the partition once by itself, so I now use "__.POPS1" as the partition on the PS2 that I transfer files to. After your done transferring from your PC to your PS2, power off the PS2 from Ulaunchelf's menu, your files may not show until you restart.
    Some Settings from FlashFXP 5 of Interest (PS2 Connection Settings/Site Manager)
    Address: 192.168.0.10 (matching the PS2's address seen on Ulaunchelf)
    Login Type: Anonymous
    Disabled/Unchecked: Activate synchronized browsing on connect
    Data Connection Mode: Passive Mode (PASV)
    Disabled/Unchecked: Site does not support FEAT command
    Power Off PS2 from Ulaunchelf's options, or use the power button when finished, then start PS2 first, get back into Ulaunchelf and enable FTP, and then run the program FlashFXP 5 from your PC
    It will take about 30 minutes to transfer one average PS1 Game, but you can leave your PS2 on overnight and transfer a bunch of files, if your going to transfer about 25 Gigs that will take about 35 hours to finish. I'm using a FAT PS2, so you may get a slightly higher speed if using a slim PS2.
    Finally Transferred a psx multidisk more than 2 gigs in size, took a few hours, Final Fantasy 9 using ftp, boots and hangs using epsxe on standard settings

Game Saves and renamed Popstarter.ELF files included (Includes CHEATS.TXT file for each game save, with Analog or just Smooth, if game has Analog already working) for just about all those tested in Archive
    DOWNLOAD (Includes Full FMCB 1.8 install with OPL (clear icons, no logo for both) and GSM, all the files in this guide are included, including Popstarter.ELF files and CHEATS.TXT files for each games, as they were tested to work in this guide
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 9th-August-2016 at 00:08.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

SIMPLE FIX: Fix for all Games with "Different Screen Sizes" that work on Popstarter (HDTV + Component Splitter)

Using GSM, set resolution to 480i, then launch OPL, now set the resolution setting to 480i there, then launch your PS1 Game from OPL ..................... your setting 480i two times, "Different Screen Sizes", can sometimes be caused by using 480p, in that case you can just go to 480i and then use your hdtv's zoom settings.

Saga Frontier 2 and Donpachi (the First one for PS1 not Dodonpachi the Sequal for PS1)
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. The Patch that is available for Saga Frontier 2 to remove the protection, does not work on the rip available here or other places. Its been a few years since I used the protection patch on the rom, so your probably gona have that problem. Donpachi also a .VCD file for Popstarter, you have trouble finding the .cue sheet for the game. All the other games in this guide all you have to do is, download the game from emuparadise, and use a protection patch if the game calls for it.

(Format PS2 HDD using WinHIIP_V1.7.6, then create the "__.POPS1" partition using "ulaunchelf", according to the size you want for the total size of the PS1 games you want to add, then create +OPL partition, then run OPL (Open PS2 Loader), it will just create some folders in the same directory .................... after you add a few PS1 games, then use "WinHIIP_1.7.6"'s Utilities, Scan Harddrive, then "Repair", than "Save", it won't delete or damage anything (when it detects the files you added, it won't read them as damage)................... However, if you format your harddrive with ulaunchelf, then WinHIIP's "Repair" and "Save" functions will delete your partitions or mess them up, (when it detects the files you added) found out the hard way ............. you need WinHIIP's functions for the PS2 games you will add, to fix any corruption in the future)

Open PS2 Loader updated to current version (896 in Package Link) ......... (mc:/BOOT/Open_PS2_Loader.ELF ........... example of IGR reset path you can set in OPL's options, current version fixes an exit bug) .......... you'll need Hdloader for a few games, its included

NOTES - Some files not Reported in Ulaunchelf, No need to Reformat

Ulaunchelf does not see all the PS1 files or report the size of the partition where the PS1 games are held correctly, after I add a few gigs worth of ps2 games using winhiip. ................ All the PS1 games are still there intact, and I can even still boot them all using OPL because I added them to the elm list like the guide states. Also the partition size and use is reported correctly in Winhiip, the total usage reads the size of the games correctly. Nothing's damage, and the Save and Repair feature of Winhiip works, but Ulaunchelf stops reporting the PS1 size partition correctly. ........................... No problem there, except it means I'll have to reformat to get to the PS1 games that Ulaunchelf isn't reporting, for the ones it does report, I can delete and replace if ever .................... 500 gig 2.5 inch sata drive, Ulaunchelf does this with a few drives, that is forgets partition size and files on certain large partitions, not a real problem though. I reformatted and ran through this guide to make sure, that was the problem, and this is a known bug with ulaunchelf so everything checks out. (will update the pack in day or so to include the app configuration file for OPL, no luck trying to turn the list into a favorites game list).
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 23rd-May-2016 at 08:40.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hi psalmsamuel

First of all thank you for all the efforts you have done to create this tutorial.

I have a question. I made the __.POPS partition too large, and I need to reduce it, how do I do it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kikujade View Post
    Hi psalmsamuel

First of all thank you for all the efforts you have done to create this tutorial.

I have a question. I made the __.POPS partition too large, and I need to reduce it, how do I do it?
    "__.POPS1", just delete the partition and remake it, or open up Winhiip select utilities, then scan drive, now delete the last entry under the POPS entry, that should make the size smaller, but I don't the program works that way. ..................... (I'm updating the package now to include "FREEMCB.CNF" configuration files for Auto Start "ulaunchelf" or "open ps2 loader", the file replaces the setup in the "SYS-CONF/" folder in your memory card (should be done in a few minutes, doing a few thing right now .... no logos no spam, no ps2 logo, just straight to the program). What I am going to do is start a compatibility list for Open PS2 Loader next, since I'm testing out some of the Widescreen patches. (Package updated in OP).
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 25th-May-2016 at 04:23.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Awesome, thanks!

Thanks
    EP Points

Package Updated First Post = Added Box Art for PS1 and PS2 Games, add the .png files into your ART folder of OPL, make sure you enable, Cover Art from OPL's options then save (both ps1 and ps2 box arts go in ART folder). Following the naming convention of the files in the package that is "GameName.ELF_COV" with .png or .jpg format (its the name of the Popstarter.ELF files you renamed plus _COV added to the name for the picture file). (PS2RD Cheat Engine is not used in this Guide because it can causes crashes when used, when exiting OPL using the Ingame Reset, or crashes when starting another game after exiting a game ... or so its been reported ... Codebreaker is a good alternative, don't plan on using game cheats in the guide). ...................... Perhaps in a few days I'll update the package to add a working Theme for OPL).
    (Cleaned up the PS2 Cover Art in the Package, the previous set had some very poor quality)
    Theme folders go inside the "THM" folder that Open PS2 Loader Creates in your harddrive
    (Themes are Added to the package in first post, just 1 for ulaunchelf, and 4 modified for Open Ps2 Loader, make sure you follow the steps for ulaunchelf)

Ulaunchelf Theme Setup

Step 1: Go to your Memory Card, "BOOT" Folder and delete LAUNCHELF.CNF, or if the LAUNCHELF.CNF is in "SYS-CONF" folder then delete it from there

Step 2: put "golden_spheres" folder in "THM" folder on your harddrive that is in the +OPL folder, now go to "configure" in ulaunchelf, then "Screen Settings", then "Load Skin CNF", now load "Goldespheres.cnf", then "Return", now press "OK" (to create a new LAUNCHELF.CNF file)

Step 3: Go to "Misc", then "Configure", then exit by selecting "OK", to create a new LAUNCHELF.CNF file (to save your skin settings Load Entry you set properly), copy the LAUNCHELF.CNF file to your "BOOT" folder in your memory card, and to your "SYS-CONF" folder

Step 4: Go to "Misc", then "Set CNF_Path", now select the LAUNCHELF.CNF file in your memory card's "BOOT" Folder you created

OPL THEME SETUP

place the theme folders in the "THM" folder that Open PS2 Loader creates in your harddrive, then when you launch Open Ps2 Loader, go to the Display Settings, and then select the skin, make sure you save your settings.

(Both ulaunchelf and open ps2 loader themes go in the THM folder of OPL, now you have to edit the path for the ulaunchelf skins in the .cnf file, just follow the example in the package. I'll probably come back later and just add one or two more themes for ulaunchelf, with ulaunchelf when you change themes, make sure to delete LANUCHELF.CNF, then create a new file with the new skin configuration file selected, and make sure both the "boot" folder and "sys-conf" folder have a copy, also make sure to "Set CNF_Path" points to the one in the "Boot" folder of your memory card, ULAUNCHELF is a bit more tedious, if you changed a theme, and got bad results then you just have to check your paths and go through the steps all over again) (Finished, decided not to add any more themes because I don't find anymore interesting)
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 25th-July-2016 at 15:32.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links: