Thread: issues with backup games on original xbox (manufactered in 2005)

Thanks
    EP Points

Default issues with backup games on original xbox (manufactered in 2005)

Hi,I wanted to say I've got an issue, I got an xbox console it was manufactured in 2005 , it read original games without problems, I decided to softmod it so I did, at first everything went fine I even transfered a game to the harddrive... an original game.... I havent tested backups games until later, and I found out the console can not read backups... evolution x tries to read them I get the message of game and the screen blinks but it just cant read it.... the app dvd2xbox detect the game disc (backup game) and even transfer it to the harddrive and yet if I try to boot the game it just cant... and I can still play an extracted game made from an original disc.... what's wrong?

I think this xbox model has some sort of copy protection... Im not sure, I softmoded 3 consoles already and this is the first time that this happen.

I don't know what is wrong and by the way I tried other dashes xbmc biohazard and I even, softmoded the console again..... which is curious I need to make a full format of the hard drive cause after using the option of retail xbox and power it on unleash x tells me that I messed something but it can fix it.... so the softmod starts again.... even so after that I can not play from backups, only original games.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A couple of things could be the issue

Even after modding the DVD drive is regional locked
    The DVD drive is very poor quality to start with and some do struggle with burned discs vs pressed discs
    RW is not a real option for games

FTP games to your HDD may be the best way round drive issues

dvd2xbox only really works with pressed discs (today dvd2xbox has no real use anyway unless you use it to do a retail disc to iso) if you have dvd drive issues that is with reading burned DVD's

I can't see it being copy protection though

XBMC is one of the better dash options, more for built in fixes

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

are the backup disk images in 'xiso' format?
    very important, they have to be. (cxboxtool and quix can create and expand them)
    also, depending on the game, it DOES have a NASTY copy-protection scheme.
    i contribute elsewhere, and i had a similar issue with a few electronic arts/EA games.
    did as op described (cept i never went the backup disk route) and ended up getting kicked in the spuds for the effort.
    IT'S the xbe where some of the problems lie.
    chronicles of riddick and LOTR third age had this copy-protection issue.
    1, CR just bsod after loading the retail disk, or installed game, made shitall difference to the way it was loaded.
    a known xbox contributer was gracious enough to whip up a hdd modified xbe so it could work as intended. (thanks a lot Blackshadow for the assist, still woks.)
    2, third age had an annoying screen offset indicative to most EA games played from the harddisk, still waiting for a viable hdd crack for that too.
    my console is PAL-EUR, enigmah video eeprm cfg rarely gets used unless it's absolutely required.
    (primary: unlx, 720p. secondary: null)
    [edit]
    it's possible to edit the ACL document (for unlx dvd installer and dvd2xbox app) but i can't recall how to do that atm.
    create an account at 'emuxtras' with this subject issue, and some great guys will attempt to sort you right.
    also, it's an xbox specific forum, though admin denies that flatly. (change the name dickhead, it's VERY misleading to newbs.)
    Last edited by amiga1200; 24th-April-2016 at 10:16.

Thanks
    EP Points

the isos are usually iso format not xiso and some games are extracted so l use quix to convert them and later burn them to disc.... l burned many games already the other consoles detect them as game discs l only use dvd-r discs..... l changed the dvd drive for another xbox dvd drive and at least the zxbinstaller works... l even transfered a snes emulator with a game to the harddrive and the emu and game works... isnt this odd?
    all dashes use evolution x to load a burned game disc.... if xbmc detect a game disc the evolution x screen appears but the dash restarts and it does this over and over.... l disable the option of "boot disc if a game is detected" or something like that... damn....

Thanks
    EP Points

eh?
    quoted what exists?
    perhaps the disk drive is broken, or plain and simply, bad writes.
    optical disks for yer. :eyesroll:
    perhaps you got a real POS stack of disks? (bad batch of backups, and BTW, extension on xbox iso counts for jack, that's why i stated what i did. afaik, gamename.xiso. suffix DOESN'T exist.)
    who knows?
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2016 at 15:07. Reason: for language, in a help thread

Thanks
    EP Points

l transfered burned games to the hdd without problems with other xbox, but this one detects the games (some burned games) but transfering a game makes it useless l even triex to boot the default.xbe using the explorer and it can not boot but it does if l boot an original transfered game... at least using xbmc l can watch burned dvd movies.... weird.....

I burn a lot of games and test them... my other xbox detect the discs l can play them... only this particular console only wants to read original games.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 24th-April-2016 at 13:37. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

^^ okay, if the drive sees the backup disk in it, open up an FTP client to location Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. (no idea the other da$h designations) and pull the contents of that disk to any random directory on your computer, it's just for eliminations sake.
    if you can FTP that backup disk to the computer (as one can do with retail disks without dumping to harddisk first) then it's NOT a bad disk, or an upfront c-protection issue.
    quite literally a user access issue.
    go through all the da$h settings, and make sure it allows installation of games from the optical drive, should be by default.
    if those disks are properly written (as you past indicates) it should be NO different to the structure of a retail one.
    attempt to FTP that backup disk contents back to the computer, and if it works 100% first time, we'll know it's not an after-effect.
    [edit]
    some letter/glyph combos don't work here without it spazzing out and putting smileys where not wanted. sorry.
    [edit again]
    also make sure all hdd volumes are visible in the da$h, and allow user write access across the board.
    Last edited by amiga1200; 24th-April-2016 at 13:30.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DVD+R is better for most systems it was only the first line of PS2 that did not support DVD+R due to the fact there was no DVD+R at the time of manufacturing the original Fatty PS2

DVD+R is of higher standard to DVD-R

Yeah you can still get low quality manufactured DVD+R discs but not as low as low quality manufactured DVD-R discs and higher quality of DVD-R vs DVD+R +R wins by a long shot

I stand by my other post and just say FTP your games directly to the HDD, do not burn them at all, you kinda verified it was drive issues already

burned DVD Video is much easier for a poor quality drive to read than any game burned to DVD, this applies to all consoles that are DVD based so it would not surprise me in the slightest for s console to be able to play DVD Video from a DVD-R but not be able to play a single game from DVD-R

P.S.

iso and xiso format are both named *.iso

I have modded a number of Xbox consoles myself and yes a few of the drives could not read burned media for games not well enough anyway mostly, a few could not read discs at all and a couple read retail games only

My current setup xbox reads everything though but only because I replaced the CD/DVD with one from a later model of the Xbox, it was one that only read retail games and burned DVD Video but not burned games, even though I know the burned games worked fine and on high quality DVD's, xbox dvd drives are poor quality and 90% of xbox issues are because of the DVD drive

The difference is the file system inside the iso file, a standard iso if mounted in windows or opened via some sort of zip software can be read normally as the file system is normally based on normal FAT file system but xiso's use an xbox console only file system that can't be read by windows noramlly, you would need to use something like Qwix or another xbox iso reader/builder
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2016 at 15:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

i should've pointed out the obvious possibility, i can't stress it enough on two counts:
    1, it's always the point of entry that's suspect, can't believe i missed it
    2, the disk drive could be such an UBER POS (swearings legit, useful to accentuate) that wanton destruction to it is totally justified, to stomp it to dust/stress caused by wasting mortal time on fruitless bs. (been there, done it, NO regrets. )
    look it this, may help a bit? Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. ^^ find your disk drive version too. (mfd's the works)
    i won't be surprised if it's the POS optical drive itself keyed to be utter w**k when it comes to backup disks, some are KNOWN for it, and add that to retail troubles too.
    yeah, blood boiler is thinking about the cheap crap pumped out by m$ vaccine boy, and the trend continues...
    [edit]
    words.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-April-2016 at 16:11.

Thanks
    EP Points

its definitely something wrong with this console, l managed to boot a burned disc with many roms and emulators but as soon as l try to select an emulator l get a message saying "parental control wont allow me to open this" l get the same message if l transfer the disc from the drive to the hdd.... using dvd2xbox.
    I guess my life would be easier making a crosscable right? l will try that soon to ftp the files and next l will need to upgrade the hdd for a larger one...

Strangely enough l could copy paste the emulator files to the emulators folder and now the emulatora boot.... what the hell?
    l will try copying backups to the emulator folder to see if now l can play them through the hdd.
    Last edited by aspinia; 5th-June-2016 at 23:33.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

"parental control wont allow me to open this"

Reset your parental controls then

Reset parental controls:
    Boot the original Xbox dash (depending on how you setup your Custom dash depends how you go about booting the original xbox dash), Go to "Settings" and highlight the "Parental Control" option. Then, press X, Y, L, X at the passcode screen to reset the parental control setting to the default value.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Uhh? In the original xbox dash I could only set to rating pending value.... gotta try that.... reset thing...

By the way ever since I used an option to create savehacks my original xbox dash is broken at least selecting it Iget a black screen but if I try the advanced option on ndure I can get to the original dash, I don't know why this happened but as long as the xbox works it's ok.

And thanks for the help, all of you.
    Last edited by aspinia; 12th-June-2016 at 21:34.