Thread: TGB Dual -- Losing Save Data?

Thanks

Default TGB Dual -- Losing Save Data?

Hello,
    I am obviously new to this forum. This is also my first time using an emulator, so please be patient with me if these questions seem ridiculous.

I seem to have a problem with the emulator I am using. I don't know if it is because I am using it wrong, or if there is actually some kind of bug. Allow me to explain.

I recently downloaded TGB Dual 7 for Windows 7. I also downloaded the ROM for Dragon Warrior Monsters, and have played it for many hours. I have a few questions regarding how saving works with this emulator...
    So far, I have been saving my game using the "journal", or save option, *in-game*. It seems to work fine; when I save and close the emulator, I can re-start the emulator, load the game, hit continue, and off I go. The main reason I am posting, however, is that I recently ran into a snag: Several times while playing, I made the mistake of multitasking with my computer, which led to the emulator freezing up. There is no error message, it just freezes.
    The first time this happened was when I tried to take a screen capture to send to a friend. The picture saved in the appropriate folder, but the emulator froze up and I was forced to close it. I was a little miffed, but not heartbroken, as I simply restarted the emulator and picked up the save from ten minutes ago. The second time this happened was right after I saved, after returning from a portal area (where you cannot save). I returned to the savable area, saved, left the emulator running to go do a few things on my computer, and when I came back it was frozen. "No worries, I just saved" I thought, used task manager to forcibly close the emulator, and re-started it. Oddly, even though I had saved a minute or two before, when I re-started the emulator, it returned me to the save I had made *before* the last save, which was before I went through the portal. (The same place I re-started from previously). This lost me over half an hour of game-play. The third time it happened, I saved before going through the portal as usual. I played for over an hour, saving several times along the way. Same thing happened. I froze up the emulator, and had to close it. I thought surely it would return me to the last save I had made, but no, despite having made several saves in between, it picked up at the *same place* I had saved before the first time the emulator froze.
    In short, the game saves and progresses fine, unless the emulator freezes, in which case the game wants to continue from this one particular save point. Can someone please try to explain to me why this happens?

A few things to note: I rarely turn my computer off, unless to re-start it or install updates. When not in use, I put it into hibernate mode. I am afraid to think what might happen to my game if I turn the computer all the way off. Is there some way to be sure my save data is permanent on my computer?

Like I said, I've never used an emulator before so any pointers you guys might have would be very helpful.

**Sytem Info**
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core i7-3610QM
    CPU @ 2.30 GHz
    RAM 8GB

**Emulator**
    TGB Dual 7
    No plugins
    Never tried other ROMs/Images, of the same game
    Don't know if other games work in the same emulator, never tried them
    Never tried other emulators

Thanks
    EP Points

found this: Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. VBA seems to be the top entry.
    one of the reasons i avoid emulation is for support and rom compatibility, this could be one reason? (emu is old it seems, no longer supported.)
    if the emu used allows for a savestate (memory snapshot) try that too.
    looked like hell online, and not found your issue, niche.
    never leave computer in so-called 'hibernation' mode, it really isn't sleeping at all, just saving a pittance on the energy bill. (there's more going on in your machine you must be aware of, we're watched illegally.)
    properly terminate all processes and shut down the computer when needed. cut all power to it.
    if the emu actually saved a file in regards to the game, it should still be there, unless there's some tomfuckery going on in your machine?
    look into a virtual os with that '7'...
    xp can be run sandboxed in 7, but just for shits and giggles, make sure xp compatibility mode is set as standard, and you're the admin of the setup.
    emulators just work, or fail sometimes.
    try different nintendo handheld emus, but keep in mind, the save file may NOT work across other emus? (check docs)
    i can't really offer any advice, other than try another emu/experiment with it's settings.
    more emus can be found in the link above.
    why do i get the very distinct feeling this won't help for shit, just didn't see others chip in yet...
    for what it's worth, good luck...
    [edit]
    fkin dumbass small keys...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It could be a few things including write privileges depending on the location it tries to save the battery data/save data to and the location of the main exec file (*.exe) for TGB Dual

I never had issues saving with it myself, but it has been some years since I used it and only for playing link up games otherwise I used other emulators back in the day, later used VBA myself

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR