Thread: help, used to burn games for dreamcast, im having no luck this go round

Thanks

Unhappy help, used to burn games for dreamcast, im having no luck this go round

i lost all my gaming systems in a house fire over a year ago, ive since picked up another dreamcast and games are easily found in here, when i download a game and unzip it and then burn it will not play says "please insert a game disc" ive used alcohol120% img burn and nero, when i unrar it remains a rar file and i cant seem to figure out if it should be cdi or a bin file......i also have used power iso

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

It "remains a rar file" (I mean it has a rar icon) because winrar is associated with image files. Have a look at the file associations inside winrar.
    You should be using 7zip anyway (the latest beta). It's completely free, doesn't do crap like that to you and can handle a wider variety of split archives more effectively.

If you've got a US type console are you sure it's an early one that can play backups?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

ok installed 7zip, unziped files into a dcast folder i can see all parts but still says rar file, what to do
    Last edited by kdawg98531; 15th-April-2016 at 01:33. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg98531 View Post
    yes it is a usa model and the date code is 1 and i did salvage 1 backup of eco the dolphin and it works fine, im honestly building a library for my daughter she loves the system.......ill download 7zip and see if that helps....
    Well if the console does play backups then maybe it's the media you're currently using?
    Brand does not matter so much, as "good" brands have different quality media (made by different manufacturers...eg Verbatim has some crap discs made by CMC).

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg98531 View Post
    is 7zip different than winzip?
    Yes. Go here:
    http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Grab 15.14 version (one of the top 2, whichever is appropriate).

And please don't double post, use edit post instead of doing that.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 15th-April-2016 at 01:14.

Spoiler warning:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Imgburn is all you need for burning but you do need an extra file for it to work with mil-cd dreamcast CD images

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?81186 tells you how to use Imgburn for Dreamcast games

Nero was only good for nrg dumps of Dreamcast games that is something that does not happen so much now
    Alcohol 120% was only good for there own format
    Discjuggler was good for cdi images and happens to be there format but this no longer works fully on more modern systems
    PowerISO has no use at all for dreamcast images
    ImgBurn is good for cdi images, that is the common format used for dreamcast games and the software works fine on modern OS systems and is free software

Bin images are not Mil-CD images and can't boot on the dreamcast without using Utopia that is a Mil-CD itself and used as a boot CD for standard CD games, but is something that is not needed now

Note that not all cdi images are Mil-CD though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-April-2016 at 03:59.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I wanted to make sure I'm doing this right before I go waste cds.

I've downloaded some images (for examples, Shenmue), in .rar format. I open them, then there's .part1.rar, part2.rar, etc. When I click part1.rar it opens up a .cdi file, which I've been extracting into a folder until tomorrow when I get some CD-Rs. All I do is burn this .cdi Image to the disc and I'm good? (In the case of Shenmue, burn 3 separate discs?)

Thanks

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Shenmue came on 3 GD-Rom discs anyway

Do note though that not all the disc images on our main server are Mil-CD images some are just standard CD images

For the game Shenmue you are best off with the EU version of the game so you can continue play with your Shenmue save in Shenmue 2 that did not get a (U) release only a (E) release

But yes you just burn the cdi image as outlined at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?81186

The dreamcast itself needs to be able to play Mil-CD's that info can be found at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?54893

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Shenmue came on 3 GD-Rom discs anyway

Do note though that not all the disc images on our main server are Mil-CD images some are just standard CD images

For the game Shenmue you are best off with the EU version of the game so you can continue play with your Shenmue save in Shenmue 2 that did not get a (U) release only a (E) release

But yes you just burn the cdi image as outlined at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?81186

The dreamcast itself needs to be able to play Mil-CD's that info can be found at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?54893
    Thanks,

Mine is an rev-1 version, so I'm good.

Is there a way to tell which ones are Mil-CD and which aren't?

I've noticed a couple images have a .nfo file accompanying it, does that mean anything?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mount the cdi with a virtual drive then open the virtual drive with isobuster if the cd only has 1 session then it is not Mil-CD if it has 2 or more sessions then it is a Mil-CD

Done that myself with Daemon Tools Lite as the virtual drive not sure if others support multi session discs

Sessions are not the same as tracks
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-May-2016 at 07:52.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Mount the cdi with a virtual drive then open the virtual drive with isobuster if the cd only has 1 session then it is not Mil-CD if it has 2 or more sessions then it is a Mil-CD

Done that myself with Daemon Tools Lite as the virtual drive not sure if others support multi session discs

Sessions are not the same as tracks
    Sorry for the dumb question, but what do you mean by two sessions?

I mounted the disc (House of the Dead this time) in Daemon tools, and I have one virtual disc with a bunch of files.

Same thing with Sonic Adventure 2, mounted, one virtual disc, inside is a folder and a file called "1st_read.bin" then in the folder is a bunch of files.

Does that mean none of them are mil-cd? I tried the same with the Utopia image, just one virtual drive with a few text files.. (But Utopia has a different icon in Daemon Tools)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Did you use ISObuster to open the virtual drive after mounting the images?

EDIT:- Utopia has a bunch files hidden

Also sounds like you are just opening the drive with windows that will only show the contents of the main data track and does not show session information

ISObuster shows a lot more information than windows does on it's own as shown in the screen grab from my own personal rip of Grandia II (The only RIP I know of with no downsampling)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-May-2016 at 17:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I burned a few games and they mostly work. Rayman 2 doesn't auto-boot, so I need to make a boot disc. THe issue I'm now running into is Resident Evil 2 Code Veronica.

The first disc burns fine, but the second disc I get an error in ImgBurn after the tray pops open that the format did not match, or something to that extent. I've wasted two discs now on this one.

Any ideas?

What I've done is extract the two .cdi files, then in ImgBurn, select the first file, burn it, then restarting the program and burning the second image. Is there a different way to go about burning games with more than one disc?

Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Mace View Post
    I burned a few games and they mostly work. Rayman 2 doesn't auto-boot, so I need to make a boot disc. THe issue I'm now running into is Resident Evil 2 Code Veronica.

The first disc burns fine, but the second disc I get an error in ImgBurn after the tray pops open that the format did not match, or something to that extent. I've wasted two discs now on this one.

Any ideas?

What I've done is extract the two .cdi files, then in ImgBurn, select the first file, burn it, then restarting the program and burning the second image. Is there a different way to go about burning games with more than one disc?

Thanks
    Are you sure that Code Veronica disc 2 image you have is ok?
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...49#post1620449

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Are you sure that Code Veronica disc 2 image you have is ok?
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...49#post1620449
    No, I'm not sure. I'm going to try the PAL Version anyway, see if that works.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Mace View Post
    No, I'm not sure. I'm going to try the PAL Version anyway, see if that works.
    Post a request (in the appropriate thread) for a working disc 2 image. Zal could still have a good cdi and Zorlon might still have a gdi.
    I know the depositfiles dl in that thread I linked to is dead but I didn't check any of the other options that were around at that point.
    I'm not even sure if the image on the main site here was ever replaced with a working one I think a lot of the DC images needed to be replaced.

Spoiler warning: