Thread: Wii Backups Freezing/Crashing

Thanks

Default Wii Backups Freezing/Crashing

I've been softmodding my wii for about 2 weeks now, I'm using Configurable USB Loader but when I load a backup one of two things happens. Either it freezes throughout the intro to the game before the main menu and eventually crashes all together Or I get 10-20 mins or so of gameplay before the game crashes. Also the program freezes when trying to install a game from disc.

I've been trying many different methods to fix this but at this point I'm beginning to lose hope, any suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thread moved.

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

When it freezes does it let out a incredibly obnoxious sequel through your speakers?

If so its most likely a faulty motherboard just like mine and many other people's wiis.

I had mine sent to the repair shop* 5 times and each time it came back it was even worse.

Nintendo customer service is horrible, since its softmodded now you would have to find a non nintendo repair shop and try to figure out the cause of the freezing as nintendo sure didn't.

I even have a nice external fan on it and it really cools it down so it stays in optimal heat range and it will still crash on certain games at random.
    Last edited by Warrior; 4th-April-2016 at 01:51.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

No it doesn't make any sounds, more often than not music will stop before it freezes or it just goes to black screen.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What are you playing the games from DVD, USB Flash drive, USB HDD or SD card

SD is slow
    DVD-R/+R is slower than retail DVD's and can cause lags
    USB Flash has compat issues (can be fixable to a certain extent) [There are too many various flash drives to say they can all work so the fix may not work for you]
    USB HDD = the best method and the fastest

Settings used may need to be tweaked per game

Depending on how it was softmodded you may just need to re-softmod it using ModMii to make sure you have everything up to date and working correctly
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-April-2016 at 04:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I've been using a toshiba HDD formatted to FAT32, but I'll look up how to re-softmod with ModMii. I had considered starting over but didn't want to brick the Wii.

I'll post whether or not that works.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Look up a guide for the wii app called "Pimp My Wii"

That should fix/update everything.

I am still assuming its just the hardware .
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Fat32 is ok but best to have that with 32kb cluster size that windows can not do itself, so you need 3rd party software to format the drive with (ModMii comes with software that can do that for you)

P.S. drive format can also cause readability issues so best to make sure you have that done correctly

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok my drive needed to be changed to a 32kb cluster and I installed Pimp My Wii and played around with that. After doing so I was able to play games that previously crashed upon launch however previous issues were still unresolved. At some point Pimp My Wii was telling me my loaders and d2x was out of date so I'm going to start looking for all recent versions of different software and some guides for the PMW. I'll post back after I've exhausted all possibilities with results. Thank you for suggestions up to this point.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What games are left with issues if only a few or odd ones that fully work?? and what are the exact issues now. (Do you have a Wii Mote with Motion Plus or an original Wii Mote with a Plus expansion, as a number of games do require those, you also need to run the tuto vid from one of those games prior to playing those that require motion plus)

This could well be a hardware issue but as you seem to be yourself I would like to explore other options before saying it is a hardware issue.

You may be looking at beta software or other none final versions that are more up to date to the last stable release, but that is usually an ok thing to do (mostly the best thing to do)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 6th-April-2016 at 07:09.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

At the moment the games that are not working are as followed: Mario Party 8, DBZ 3, Jeopardy, and WW Smooth Moves. With the exception of DBZ(immediately goes to black screen Now) the issue is still that at some point the game will freeze and need to be restarted. I just put in some time testing out Skyward Sword & Xenoblade (which previously did not work at all) and they seem to be fine. I think there may be a possibility that these two titles are the only backups I've been using from emu, so I'm going to explore that and hope I'm right.

The only software that seems to be out of date (according to PMW) is the homebrew channel, and usb loaders I'm not using. Should I update Homebrew?

Also software wise I'm still experiencing an inability to backup games from disc using CFG as well as an occasional black screen freeze when attempting to return to home menu from a game, I don't know if that is consequential.

Also yes I have a Wiimote with MotionPlus INSIDE and I went through the tut videos when playing RedSteel2 off of disc.