Thread: Codebreaker Wont run on my Freemcboot softmod

Thanks

Default Codebreaker Wont run on my Freemcboot softmod

I have tried literally everything that i have come across going at least 2 pages deep in google results. I have tried versions 9.2 to 10 they all sit on a black screen after launch, or start a boot loop.

My ps2 is a SCPH-75001, im aware of codebreaker freezing when a usb is attactched.
    My datecode is 6C, so i should be able to run codebreaker.

I have CB_Launch.elf in my boot folder, ive tried making a new folder on my memcard for the cb.elf, pasting it straight onto the memcard, putting it in the boot folder, but no idea whats going wrong.

Most video tutorials they boot codebreaker from a usb drive, the one guy that had the same console model used 3 memcards, but he said something about he couldnt save codebreaker saves to his memcard, which shouldnt stop it from loading. I got all my codebreaker elfs from here: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ht=Codebreaker

Ive tried all prepatched versions and 2 that i patched myself, no luck. Any ideas as to what im doing wrong?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Launch it from USB not your Memcard (never got these to run from my official memcards)

Memcard saving was fine though not had any issues there, 3rd party memcards may have issues though I guess

Not saving to a memcard does cause issues as the first thing it does is save a database of codes and failure to load that results in it reporting an error, the same thing happens switching between versions

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Launch it from USB not your Memcard (never got these to run from my official memcards)

Memcard saving was fine though not had any issues there, 3rd party memcards may have issues though I guess

Not saving to a memcard does cause issues as the first thing it does is save a database of codes and failure to load that results in it reporting an error, the same thing happens switching between versions

How would i do this? As stated before all my research shows that slim models version SCPH-750XX all freeze when trying to boot codebreaker with a usb drive plugged in.
    Source: http://psx-scene.com/forums/f77/how-...ed-game-63171/

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If this is true (My PS2 is a 700XX so can't confirm that) then the only other option is to run it from disc DVD or CD, still odd that any version of the PS2 would do that to be honest, I know later models of the PS2 prevent code from running from memcard, hence later versions being unable to use FMCB

But because the code (data in the elf file on the USB drive/stick) is stored in memory simply boot the Codebreaker from USB and pull it out as soon as it launches and it should still work (most the processing after the initial boot is reading/creating save data) (I have not tested this though so you can tell me if that works or if it crashes before you even have a chance or crashes if you just pull the USB out)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

If this is true (My PS2 is a 700XX so can't confirm that) then the only other option is to run it from disc DVD or CD, still odd that any version of the PS2 would do that to be honest, I know later models of the PS2 prevent code from running from memcard, hence later versions being unable to use FMCB

But because the code (data in the elf file on the USB drive/stick) is stored in memory simply boot the Codebreaker from USB and pull it out as soon as it launches and it should still work (most the processing after the initial boot is reading/creating save data) (I have not tested this though so you can tell me if that works or if it crashes before you even have a chance or crashes if you just pull the USB out)
    So when should i remove the usb drive? The method ive been using to boot it was your tutorial on changing the esr path in free mcboot configurator to search for codebreaker before esr but i couldnt figure out if that ment when a disk is inserted or what. So currently ive been editing the E1 Launch keys to using square to launch the elf, but it still hangs on a black screen. I have been waiting long enough, i started it last night and went to sleep, still on black screen this morning. I have CB_Launch in my boot folder, but if the CB.elf is on my usb and i remove it how will it work?
    Last edited by FAVA Clutch; 29th-March-2016 at 17:00.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just make a disc. (results from an ESR DVD may not be good though, also something I have not felt the need to do myself so do not know if that will work or not most cheat discs had bad results last time I done CD to DVD converts though I know of a method I never did test with those that may well work, but do not have the time to do that kind of testing any more)

As I stated I don't have that model so can't do any real tests as the results for me will be totally different so I can't tell you when to remove the USB device or even if that is possible to do by the sounds of it, it is not possible though if it goes directly to a black screen and does not even attempt to load anything else before it goes to a black screen

It starts up when a PS2 or ESR Disc is inserted when you set it to be the first prog to boot in FMCB, if it finds nothing in the first path e.g. path was to USB but the USB device is not there it will look at the next one on the list
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-March-2016 at 17:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Just make a disc. (results from an ESR DVD may not be good though, also something I have not felt the need to do myself so do not know if that will work or not most cheat discs had bad results last time I done CD to DVD converts though I know of a method I never did test with those that may well work, but do not have the time to do that kind of testing any more)

As I stated I don't have that model so can't do any real tests as the results for me will be totally different so I can't tell you when to remove the USB device or even if that is possible to do by the sounds of it, it is not possible though if it goes directly to a black screen and does not even attempt to load anything else before it goes to a black screen

It starts up when a PS2 or ESR Disc is inserted when you set it to be the first prog to boot in FMCB, if it finds nothing in the first path e.g. path was to USB but the USB device is not there it will look at the next one on the list

So while at work today i decided that i was gonna shop around for a ps2 version SCPH70xxx and happened to remember that about 2 years ago i bought 2 that were supposed to work but both had broken disk drives, both are slims. Found them when i got off and one has SCPH70012 but the other is SCPH77001 :/ so im gonnna retry your method on the SCPH70012 and share my results here, im going to be renaming OPL to CB_Launch.elf so as to boot opl after codebreaker due to bad disk drives. And share my results here.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That should work fine, though you only need to rename the elf for 9.2 as that is the only version that is pre patched to certain paths and elf file names, the other 2 there you can patch to any path you like 9.3 is possibly the best version over all, custom paths and support for both official day 1 files and unofficial day 1 files, that is if you go for those as there are other methods to add codes I outlined on this forum anyway with plenty of ways to backup and restore the data used for codes.

The drive from the newer version may also fit into the older version/s, something worth looking into anyway, but be warned those silly little ribbon clips break far too easy so do a bit of research before attempting anything like that especially if the newer laser will work in the older model (look at stores that sell the laser units and see what models they work with ) and look at how the clips for the ribbons work/how to open close them preferably without breaking them Youtube that maybe, that will allow you to use both ESR and OPL over LAN (USB is far too slow think it's something like USB 1.01 that runs a bit too slow to stream data smoothly and HDD options are for the bulky PS2 that you can install and internal HDD to via the Network card that comes separate)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-March-2016 at 07:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

That should work fine, though you only need to rename the elf for 9.2 as that is the only version that is pre patched to certain paths and elf file names, the other 2 there you can patch to any path you like 9.3 is possibly the best version over all, custom paths and support for both official day 1 files and unofficial day 1 files, that is if you go for those as there are other methods to add codes I outlined on this forum anyway with plenty of ways to backup and restore the data used for codes.

The drive from the newer version may also fit into the older version/s, something worth looking into anyway, but be warned those silly little ribbon clips break far too easy so do a bit of research before attempting anything like that especially if the newer laser will work in the older model (look at stores that sell the laser units and see what models they work with ) and look at how the clips for the ribbons work/how to open close them preferably without breaking them Youtube that maybe, that will allow you to use both ESR and OPL over LAN (USB is far too slow think it's something like USB 1.01 that runs a bit too slow to stream data smoothly and HDD options are for the bulky PS2 that you can install and internal HDD to via the Network card that comes separate)
    Yeah, i was initially attempting to run opl via lan but have to order a crossover cable due to there being no real guide on win10. I do have an old desktop that runs win7 that im gonna use as my ps2 HDD i also use it to backup games. but the opl to lan just sounds faster to me. I was able to get codebreaker to work finally. I booted codebreaker straight from ulaunch of my mass,loaded a game and when it booted ulaunch i just went straight into opl from there. cheats worked but didnt try and save it. gonna play around with it a bit more. then try and see if i can accomplish this on my SCPH750XXX so if other people have this version i can try to help.

On one of the ps2s the gearbox that moves the laser back and forth is somewhat misaligned and the laser doesnt move properly, not sure if the laser is bad or not.
    The second one is the SCPH770012 and visually it is not damaged but the laser does not move and the disk does not spin.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

crossover directly to the host PC is the best way but if you want to play now then just use a normal network cable directly to your router

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

crossover directly to the host PC is the best way but if you want to play now then just use a normal network cable directly to your router

That was a complete different problem i had. Would that topic need a new thread? I had Ethernet cables connected via router/modem and setup just as in the win7 version of this: https://versatile1.wordpress.com/201...-novice-guide/

Yet none of my games show, currently i have Extermination a copy of the iso and a opl(usbutil version) of them and neither show. Could it be my version of opl? I only have USB games and HDD games on my dpad and cant seem to find a section for network games. So im gonna redo that on this ps2 and see what happens.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not used the software myself so yeah might be an idea to start a new thread on this subject so someone that does play with OPL can see it and maybe give you a few hints on it

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]